Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking Ticket Overnight

Options
  • 09-06-2016 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all new to BOARDS this is my first post. I abandoned my car Sunday night because of one too many beers after work. When I collected it at 11:00 the next day I had received a parking fine. I didn't collect it earlier because I felt unfit to drive until I allowed sufficient time for the breakfast to soak up the remaining alcohol. Does anybody know if this is grounds for appeal? I realise obviously I should have pre-paid the parking that night but it I neglected to do it through my own stupidity. However, I would have thought that having not drove the car before I felt fit to do so would be seen as a favourable in an appeal situation. Appreciate any thoughts you may have - thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭saggart26

Reek wrote: »
    Hi all new to BOARDS this is my first post. I abandoned my car Sunday night because of one too many beers after work. When I collected it at 11:00 the next day I had received a parking fine. I didn't collect it earlier because I felt unfit to drive until I allowed sufficient time for the breakfast to soak up the remaining alcohol. Does anybody know if this is grounds for appeal? I realise obviously I should have pre-paid the parking that night but it I neglected to do it through my own stupidity. However, I would have thought that having not drove the car before I felt fit to do so would be seen as a favourable in an appeal situation. Appreciate any thoughts you may have - thanks.

Is this a joke? Don't drive in to work if you're going boozing!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Well done on not driving home but unfortunately clamping companies aren't known to reward based on your contribution to the good of humanity.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You parked there, you didnt pay so the only option you have is pay the fine and just chalk it up to experience :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Not a hope. Just pay the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Reek

saggart26 wrote: »
    Is this a joke? Don't drive in to work if you're going boozing!

I know it sounds silly alright. I play music and so have no other choice and sometimes a session develops unexpectedly. Thanks for your feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I know it sounds silly alright. I play music and so have no other choice and sometimes a session develops unexpectedly. Thanks for your feedback.

Rubbish. Plenty of musicians choose not to drink, for just this reason. Grown-ups plan their transport arrangements, and control their drinking when necessary.

Off topic, but worth mentioning: breakfast doesn't "soak up the alcohol" - the only way to sober up is to allow enough time for your liver to process it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

..... the only way to sober up is to allow enough time for your liver to process it.

Sadly more time than it takes someone to butt in and start lecturing us on the evils of alcohol despite the fact that the OP is simply asking about a parking ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

If it costs nothing to submit an appeal I would always chance my arm, because you never know your luck.
    But your pretty much caught bang to rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Pay for your parking, find free parking or don't drink.

Those are your options.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If it costs nothing to submit an appeal I would always chance my arm, because you never know your luck.
    But your pretty much caught bang to rights.

Yes he can appeal but if the appeal fails doesnt the fine increase?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Pay the fine, move on and learn from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

jonnycivic wrote: »

By 50% after 28 days if an appeal is unsuccessful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

This reeks of a lack of personal responsibility. No one made you drink, no one made you not return to your car to top up the meter for the next morning, no one prevented you from downloading the parking app on your phone which you could have used to top up remotely. You chose to chance it, and didnt get away with it.

Its all on you. Just pay it and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

If you were rushing someone dying to a hospital, you may be looked on favourably for speeding.

But looking to get off an offence for merely doing what you should do and avoiding committing a second offence ?

"Your honour, my client admits to breaking into the house at #10, but wishes to be let off because he didn't break into #11 as well...."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Ah it takes all sorts, got a chuckle out of it anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭saggart26

This reeks of a lack of personal responsibility. No one made you drink, no one made you not return to your car to top up the meter for the next morning, no one prevented you from downloading the parking app on your phone which you could have used to top up remotely. You chose to chance it, and didnt get away with it.

Its all on you. Just pay it and move on.

But he didn't drink and drive so kudos for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

saggart26 wrote: »
    But he didn't drink and drive so kudos for that.

Neither did I - where's my kudos ?

And can I get a credit note for a future parking fine ? ;)

jonnycivic wrote: »

I don't know, tbh. I did say "if" it costs nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Reek wrote:

Reek wrote:

My good God. Please tell me you don't really think a breakfast soaks up alcohol. What do you think happens exactly? It somehow nullified it?

What exactly is your defense here. That you got drunk? How could that even work? Expect to be incredibly unsuccessful in your appeal.

"I messed up, but surely somebody else is to blame"

Don't take the advise from the above posters. You are only wasting everybody's time and prolonging the appeals process for real cases...

GM228 wrote: »
    By 50% after 28 days if an appeal is unsuccessful.

Ah well that's not worth it for sure.
    OP just pay up. You enjoyed the session, there were consequences, you have to take them.
    Some of the posts here might seem preachy, but they're all spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Would be interesting to see this Jumbo Breakfast Roll defence used in front of a judge:
    wake up in the morning, and I jump straight outa bed
    I grab a hould of luminous jacket and shake off me ould porter head
    I haven't time for the fancy breakfast or put muesli in the bowl
    And just edge of this, that I'll get itch, for the jumbo breakfast roll

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement