Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you think we'll do in Group E?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

9 points
    Two wins and a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

2 points
    Think it will be 1-1 vs Sweden and I fear we will lose the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aha_sender

5 points
    I think we get 4 points. The win will be Sweden, all they have is zlatan, they had a very poor qualifying performance. Going to say Ireland 2-1, with long scoring both. Italy are a poor attacking outfit, solid defense, missing there two best midfielder, see a 0-0. One nil loss to Belgium and hopefully that's enough for third

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

3 points (3 draws)
    With my massively optimistic hat on, I went with 2 points. I think we're good enough to get a draw against Sweden.

I think a draw in the final game will probably be enough for Italy and ourselves to finish 2nd and 3rd and both teams will settle for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

2 points
    Draw with Sweden, Lose the other two. 1 point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

2 points
    Think we might get a draw against Sweden or sneak a win. Otherwise I'm not convinced we will get anything off Belgium or Italy.

Arguably our second most effective player Walters is crocked which means likely Brady to start in midfield and Ward at left back... that is a disaster waiting to happen, Ward isn't a proper left full at any level never mind at top International level.

I think we will be gutsy but I think we will leak too many goals. Only way to go is play Long up top, pack the midfield, work our balls off and hope we get a break or two... We qualified but like in 2012 I don't expect us to make a ripple at all.. be surprised if we make it out of the group but obviously delighted... shall see and support the lads 100%....

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

Comfy 3-0 win v SWE,3pts early doors 0-2 v BEL and 0-1 v ITA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

5 points
    An absolute slugfest going to the last minute of both games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think Zlatan is going to murder us to be honest

Belgium to beat us and a draw with the Italians.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

4 points
    3 points.
    A late winner from a corner to beat Sweden 2-1
    A 2-0 loss to Belgium
    And we're unable to break down Italy's defence after an early goal gives them a 1-0 win.

Belgium 7
    Italy 5
    Ireland 3
    Sweden 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

2 points
    Lose to Sweden.
    Draw with Belgium.
    Lose to Italy.

One point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

It will be hard for our guys to beat Sweden, have to prove themselves this tournament. It should be a real contest though. A last minute goal could secure it for us.

2 points
    Ireland 1 - sweden 3

Ireland 1 - Belgium 1

Ireland 0 - Italy 2

= 1 point

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Wetwipe65

Euro 2012 I was very optimistic, thought we would get a draw of Spain and Italy, and maybe beat Croatia.

This year however, I don't think we will score a single goal, and concede at least 9 goals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭RoryMac

5 points
    Draw with Sweden with both sides playing negatively afraid of being beaten. Lose to Belgium & beat Italy to.go through on 4 points

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

2 points
    I'm not sure at all.

I'll say 1 point to be blindly optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

5 points
    Every 12 years is the year of the underdog, '92 Denmark, '04 Greece, so we'll win it this year though we won't have the same fridge contents that Greece had!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

3 points (3 draws)
    BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Every 12 years is the year of the underdog, '92 Denmark, '04 Greece, so we'll win it this year though we won't have the same fridge contents that Greece had!

Won by famous underdogs West Germany in 1980, and Italy in 1968.

It's us or Northern Ireland lads.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

5 points
    Won by famous underdogs West Germany in 1980, and Italy in 1968.

It's us or Northern Ireland lads.

:cool:

Don't ya know football was only invented in 1992 when the premier league was invented! :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Sweden are just so average and so are we that it is impossible to predict how it will go. They have Zlatan, but we have Long, I honestly see Long causing them more problems than Zlatan does to us. Long is legit class at the moment, he is not being given enough credit around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

3 points (3 draws)
    I voted 2pts .... but have changed my mind ... 1pt. A draw against Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

2 points
    The thing is with zlatan is that he can drop and play the playmaker role to perfection and cause havoc, is whelan up to this job of marking him? I dont think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

4 points
    Fancy us to beat the Italians more than Sweden, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭RoryMac

5 points
    Knex. wrote: »
    Fancy us to beat the Italians more than Sweden, tbh.

Yeah not sure why there seems to be a widespread view that if we don't beat Sweden we're out?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

1 point
    Havn't seen enough of a squad change or improvement from the last Euros to make me believe there is any reason for optimism here. Can only see the negatives. So many key players for us carrying knocks or niggles, so many players out of form or barely playing football, I genuinely don't see us getting a point unless opponents massively **** up.

Claims we are on par with Sweden are terribly wide of the mark. I tend to always be a skeptic when it comes to Ireland, but I see us losing all three games, and can maybe see us scoring a goal against Sweden. But I don't see us scoring against Italy or Belgium.

I also think claims we can do anything against Italy baffling. They are being written of to an incredible degree. I'm baffled how anyone sees us scoring against what is likely the best defence in world football at the moment.

I can maybe see a 0-0 with Italy, or depending on how the coin drops a draw with Sweden.

As a fan I'll be happy for the team just to have a decent showing, some fight, organisation and a bit of quality in parts, and not get absolutely tanked and embarrassed again. Would go a long way to healing some scars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

8 points draw against Italy, win against Sweden, win against Belguim and a draw against Italy to round out the group stage.

Advertisement