Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildcamping on cycling tour in Ireland

Options
  • 09-06-2016 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

Just wondering if many of you here have wildcamped while on cycle tours within Ireland . I'm planning a ten day trip up the west coast and If I could wildcamp a few nights id save a nice bit of money . I had a bad experience wildcamping in a field by a lake outside galway when a very angry farmer met me on the way out the next morning . I was hoping maybe to camp on the coast / beaches where land is less private . Would you feel safe / secure about yourself and your bike ? I'd be touring alone for most of the trip .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

You gonna camp on the " Copa...... Copacabana ? "
    sorry ...... ;)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

You might have to cycle a mile or two extra off the beaten track to get away from humankind.
    I do in Wicklow no problems. Midlands aswell. Just study maps, you'll find spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

When I find a nice spot to camp, usually a field that has no signs of being recently grazed by cattle, I try to find a house it belongs to and very nicely ask if I may. Done it a couple of times, no one refused - although they were very surprised by me asking :)

Advertisement