Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

driving test 6 month wait ?

• 09-06-2016 2:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

hi stupid question but does a first permit holder in Cat A have to wait 6 months to do their driving test after IBT is done ?

Not sure of the new rules as i done the car test quite some time ago

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

No, it's six months after the permit is issued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

thanks lumen for clearing that up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Sorry guys for hijacking this thread. Since you have done your IBT how was your experience with it?

I know that there are 3 modules over two days. Are these spread over 9 hours per day? I am wondering how much on the road driving is actually involved?
    Especially on the 2nd day were you mainly driving around town or a good bit out in the country side? What was your top speed?

I have my IBT in 2 weeks and I am very excited;)

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

MSVforever wrote: »
    I know that there are 3 modules over two days. Are these spread over 9 hours per day? I am wondering how much on the road driving is actually involved?
    Especially on the 2nd day were you mainly driving around town or a good bit out in the country side? What was your top speed?

My first day on IBT was in a closed area. Just doing basic bike manouvers. The first half of the 2nd day was similar. The 2nd half was all out on the roads. Mostly city streets, doing turns, bike position, etc. Did a little country riding. My top speed was 120kph, when out on a section of the N2. :D All legal.

obviously the instructor wont take you out on the roads/public if he doesn't feel your good enough :)

Have mine booked in 3 weeks time , is it with a group or 1 to 1 training ? i forgot to ask :/

• Advertisement

Usually IBT is 1:1, unless you book it 1:2. Doing IBT with someone else usually brings the cost down.

I found IBT day one very intense. It was 1:1.

I think I would have preferred to do 1:2 on that day, to reduce the pressure a bit and observe someone else's successes and failures.

Out on the road 1:1 is better.

A long time ago I did a 1 day UK CBT in a big group and that was fun, but it was also easier as I was on a poxy scooter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

MSVforever wrote: »
    Sorry guys for hijacking this thread. Since you have done your IBT how was your experience with it?

I have my IBT in 2 weeks and I am very excited;)

Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z9gqXHH2nI

You should be excited, going out on a bike for the first (legit) time is ****ing whopper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Lumen wrote: »
    No, it's six months after the permit is issued.

Sub-question; is this the case even if you have a full B already? I think it's a silly rule if you already have full entitlements for other categories.

cantdecide wrote: »
    Sub-question; is this the case even if you have a full B already? I think it's a silly rule if you already have full entitlements for other categories.

Yes. It is purely relating to motorcycles. 6 months from issue of learner permit, no matter what else you hold.

• Advertisement

B licence means you don't have to wear Noob sign after you pass the bike test.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z9gqXHH2nI

You should be excited, going out on a bike for the first (legit) time is ****ing whopper.

Whos to say i havnt been out already :D;) no but legit your right there with no worries
    Lumen wrote: »
    B licence means you don't have to wear Noob sign after you pass the bike test.

iv yet to see a biker wear a N sign :p

pudzey101 wrote: »
    iv yet to see a biker wear a N sign :p

I passed two on Thursday alone. They are out there.

Paulw wrote: »
    I passed two on Thursday alone. They are out there.

whats the penalty if you fail to wear a L or N high viz vest ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

whats the penalty if you fail to wear a L or N high viz vest ?

I've personally come across riders receiving as many as 5 points for no L tabard and I presume a fine with it.

2 points and €60 fine, if uncontested and paid within 28 days. If contested and convicted, 4 points.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/Penalty%20Point%20offences%20as%20of%2017%20April%202016.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stokesdiva

You get 2 points for not wearing it. But your better off wearing as a learner your only allowed 7points once you reach that limit your off the road. When I done my ibt it was 1:2 had experience on bike. first day was classroom work showing diagrams for positioning's on the road and about the right gear to wear. Then next day we drove around the compound and after lunch went for nice spin out coast road then back in towards town. The bike I used was a fazer 600 the same as the 1 I'm driving well nearly mine streetfighter but great experience.

iv 6 points on my full car license :/ learner permits are only allowed upto 7 right ? was reading in another forum you dont have to wear the N tabard if you already hold a full in a different category :/ so confused ha ha :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭larchielads

stokesdiva wrote: »
    You get 2 points for not wearing it. But your better off wearing as a learner your only allowed 7points once you reach that limit your off the road. When I done my ibt it was 1:2 had experience on bike. first day was classroom work showing diagrams for positioning's on the road and about the right gear to wear. Then next day we drove around the compound and after lunch went for nice spin out coast road then back in towards town. The bike I used was a fazer 600 the same as the 1 I'm driving well nearly mine streetfighter but great experience.
    Take it u did it in Waterford ?

Yeah done it in Waterford the lads are great there.
    I have full car license so when I do my test and hopefully pass don't have to wear the N vest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

iv 6 points on my full car license :/ learner permits are only allowed upto 7 right ? was reading in another forum you dont have to wear the N tabard if you already hold a full in a different category :/ so confused ha ha :)

Yeah, that's right, you can get a learner permit, but it goes away if you get any more points.

The N tabard/plate is for your first 2 years on the road with any full license.

I was told by instructor that if I pass test I don't have to wear the N because I hold a full car license. I have full 12yrs so maybe age comes into it as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

You won't have to wear the N, but someone like me will, because I've only had a full car license for one year, so when I pass the bike test I will have to wear the N plate until 2 years from the date I got my first full category.

I most likely won't be wearing the N plate on the bike, I have the N plates on the car and I have experienced seriously dangerous/aggressive driving against me because of it, I don't want that when I'm on a bike

I was just off the phone to a girl in the RSA , said if i hold a full in another category no need for L or N plate and no 6 month wait to do the full test . Also said the full is priority license so wont loose license until reach 12 points . i think alot of that is untrue though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

You would need the L plate on the bike if you're on a provisional, same as not being able to go on the motorway with the provisional.. I'd say she may have drank 7 p(o)ints this morning giving out that kind of info :D

also same with the 6 month wait if you have a code 991 on the provisional license you have to wait 6 months to do the test

I was just off the phone to a girl in the RSA , said if i hold a full in another category no need for L or N plate and no 6 month wait to do the full test . Also said the full is priority license so wont loose license until reach 12 points . i think alot of that is untrue though :)

Yeah, I think the RSA girl misinformed you. Check the RSA website, and it's clear.

L plate when you are a learner, no matter what other license you hold.
    N not needed if you hold a full license in any category over 2 years.
    Must wait 6 months from issue of learner permit for bike, code 991 on your learner permit.

She is probably right about the 12 points on the license though.

Advertisement