Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garden bench with rotten slats

• 09-06-2016 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

I have a garden bench with cast iron ends and mostly rotten wooden slats (12 x 4' x 2 1/4" x 3/4").

I would rather not throw it out but need to replace the slats.

I assumed I needed to use hardwood but Woodies, Homebase etc. only seemed to sell softwoods and treated timber.

Would you guys have any tips on how to proceed? I'm based in North Dublin.

Thanks for your advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What kind of tools do you have, Abbey woods in Baldoyle do lots, maybe get some hardwood deck and split them

http://www.abbeywoods.ie

they also do accoya, not cheap but lifetime

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭slipstream

What kind of tools do you have, Abbey woods in Baldoyle do lots, maybe get some hardwood deck and split them

http://www.abbeywoods.ie

they also do accoya, not cheap but lifetime

i have a circular and jig saw.

i though about decking but what tools would i need to split them?

oh and thanks for the tip on abbeywoods.

i'll drop in and ask what they think.

they look expensive though based on their website!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Your best bet is to find a joiner with a workshop to reproduce the slats. There is not much point unless you use a wood that will last 20+ years and that probably means Iroko. If you could find someone to machine the slats and do the assembly yourself you will obviously keep costs down.

recipio wrote: »
    Your best bet is to find a joiner with a workshop to reproduce the slats. There is not much point unless you use a wood that will last 20+ years and that probably means Iroko. If you could find someone to machine the slats and do the assembly yourself you will obviously keep costs down.

I thought I might be able to do the work myself as a beginner woodworking project but it looks like finding suitable and reasonably priced timber will be difficult.

I actually found some places in the UK (ebay) which supply standard sized slats in hardwoods but they do not ship to ireland.

Thanks again for your advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you can afford €25 for delivery, Addresspal from AnPost will do it as an oversize package. If they weren't over 72cm it would be only €3.50 up to 20kg,

https://addresspal.anpost.ie/
    The standard AddressPal cost is €3.50

Weight: Not Exceeding 20kg
    Dimensions Not Exceeding 72cm X 31cm X 25cm
    Where an item exceeds the maximum dimensions of 72cm X 31cm X 25cm, you will be contacted by An Post by phone. The item will be made available in your local delivery service unit and the cost for delivery will be €25.00.

OP, looking at the seat again, make sure u can get out the old bolts or whatever they are first:)

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    If you can afford €25 for delivery, Addresspal from AnPost will do it as an oversize package. If they weren't over 72cm it would be only €3.50 up to 20kg,

https://addresspal.anpost.ie/

great, i'd given up on them as i thought i read that the >20kg price was 50euro.
    OP, looking at the seat again, make sure u can get out the old bolts or whatever they are first:)

looks like this may be the excuse i needed to get an angle grinder!

thanks again

slipstream wrote: »
    looks like this may be the excuse i needed to get an angle grinder!

thanks again

Are they not threaded/bolts, if either start with applying the AC90 or Wd40 every day, you will be amazing at how quickly they will loosen up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

I have a garden bench with cast iron ends and mostly rotten wooden slats (12 x 4' x 2 1/4" x 3/4").

I assumed I needed to use hardwood but Woodies, Homebase etc. only seemed to sell softwoods and treated timber.

Thanks for your advice.
    Your best bet is too use something like ash or oak. Cut the planks up into slats.
    If you are north Dublin then Abbey woods in baldoyle ind estate or Morgans timber now just off the n7. Send me a pm and I can help you out. RICH.

• Advertisement

Your best bet is too use something like ash or oak. Cut the planks up into slats.
    If you are north Dublin then Abbey woods in baldoyle ind estate or Morgans timber now just off the n7. Send me a pm and I can help you out. RICH.

i think i'll be ok cutting planks into slats with my circular saw but would i need to do any planing or routing etc.?

I thought I might be able to do the work myself as a beginner woodworking project but it looks like finding suitable and reasonably priced timber will be difficult.

I actually found some places in the UK (ebay) which supply standard sized slats in hardwoods but they do not ship to ireland

You can buy unplaned hardwood in all the chain stores here - I would suggest Iroko at about 50 euro cub/ft as its weather resistant and cheaper than the others.
    As you don't have a planer thicknesser you will have to prepare them by hand. For a beginner , an electric hand planer will take the hardship out of planing them. You won't get perfect results but at least you will have done the job yourself.:rolleyes:

An electric hand planer for a beginner can be dangerous unless the set up is perfect to hold the workpiece, the operator is always aware of where his two hands are and make sure the planer block stops rotating before moving it away from the workpiece and down near the body, especially the thighs, or leaving down on a bench etc...

recipio wrote: »
    You can buy unplaned hardwood in all the chain stores here - I would suggest Iroko at about 50 euro cub/ft as its weather resistant and cheaper than the others.
    As you don't have a planer thicknesser you will have to prepare them by hand. For a beginner , an electric hand planer will take the hardship out of planing them. You won't get perfect results but at least you will have done the job yourself.:rolleyes:

I didn't see it in any chainstores in Dublin :confused:
    An electric hand planer for a beginner can be dangerous unless the set up is perfect to hold the workpiece, the operator is always aware of where his two hands are and make sure the planer block stops rotating before moving it away from the workpiece and down near the body, especially the thighs, or leaving down on a bench etc...

I'm a bit clumsy so perhaps electric planing isn't for me!

Would the hardwood suppliers supply planed planks? and once split would the short sides need to be planed and/or rounded?

PM sent re a place off Richmond road which may help

i found a boardsie who will prepare some iroko slats for me which sounds like a safer bet.

now i just need to disassemble, source new fixings and prep the cast iron end-pieces!

thanks again for all your help.

I didn't see it in any chainstores in Dublin :confused:

I'm a bit clumsy so perhaps electric planing isn't for me!

Would the hardwood suppliers supply planed planks? and once split would the short sides need to be planed and/or rounded?

Well, any spinning blade is dangerous.If you are not confident about using tools then DIY is not for you.:rolleyes: The chainstores that supply the trade ( Chadwicks/Brooks ) will have unplaned hardwood. The JP Corry chain has the best selection of hardwoods I have come across but they don't have a store in Dublin.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

PM sent re a place off Richmond road which may help

Did the same job on an old bench I had here. Got 10 1 metre lengths cut for me of mahogany from Larry's diy off Richmond road, I just rounded the edges, sanded & varnished. Worked out great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lifeisagame

Thanks for your advice.
    Portmarnock and District Men's Shed make garden benches PM me for information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

OP, did you ever finish this. I saw some cast iron ends and would love to do this as a project. I'm handy at DIY but don't have much wood working skills.

• Advertisement
Advertisement