Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension quotes - the boom is back

Options
  • 09-06-2016 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,
    Just wondering if any other posters are facing the same difficulties we are in trying to a) find builders willing to quote for a small rear extension 20sqm b) actually have the builders show to quote the job c) avoid a heart attack once you receive two out of the five quotes you were promised.

The quotes for a builders finish in Dublin is looking like 1500 per sqm ex vat. Is this madness or were my expectations too high?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rainbowray wrote: »
    The quotes for a builders finish in Dublin is looking like 1500 per sqm ex vat. Is this madness or were my expectations too high?

Being at the coalface...the latter I would suggest.

E 1,500 / m.sq. is not actually that bad (for Dublin)!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Rainbowray

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Being at the coalface...the latter I would suggest.

E 1,500 / m.sq. is not actually that bad (for Dublin)!

Oh lord!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Rainbowray wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just wondering if any other posters are facing the same difficulties we are in trying to a) find builders willing to quote for a small rear extension 20sqm b) actually have the builders show to quote the job c) avoid a heart attack once you receive two out of the five quotes you were promised.

Thanks

Quite the norm in fairness.
    Just commenced a job for a client this week in north dublin. 23Sq. M habitable extension.
    Finished and ready to move in (excluding floor finishes and kitchen) worked out at €1700 per square meter inclusive of VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

15sqm flat roof rear extension. Corner window and sliding door, 2 velux, move sewage downpipe , move boiler and tank to side, 25sqm concrete outside, fit stove and chimney system. Replace 8 internal doors and frames with oak veneered.
    Average price of three ,48k.not including floor finishes skirting, architrave, or kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I got a similar quote recently of 50k for 25sq m extension in Sth Dublin. Insanity IMO so I'll not be going ahead with it.
    When the next crash happens, I'll get a Polish builder in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

jay0109 wrote: »
    I got a similar quote recently of 50k for 25sq m extension in Sth Dublin. Insanity IMO so I'll not be going ahead with it.
    When the next crash happens, I'll get a Polish builder in!

The price you got could be spot on for what you were looking for
    Did you get three quotes ?
    If you still tought it was over priced employ your own QS to price it for you and they'll break down each stage so you'll see where the money is been spent.

The problem now is I find clients are more switched on to what they expect quality & spec wise which is a good thing but don't realise how much materials , insurance and admin have risen in cost in the last ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Any design tips or considerations to build at a lower cost?

We got a Dublin builder who did an attic conversion for €15,000 where the lowest other builders were €25,000. One guy quoted €40,000 for the conversion.

PM me for a contact number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

jcon1913 wrote: »
    We got a Dublin builder who did an attic conversion for €15,000 where the lowest other builders were €25,000. One guy quoted €40,000 for the conversion.

PM me for a contact number

There's an awful lot of this difference in price going on some of it could be company's are to busy and if a job is got at a higher price they can afford to drop a job for it which is wrong imo
    Out of curiosity were all builders given the same certified
    drawings and detailed specification list to quote from.
    Just asking because I'm often asked to quote jobs and when I ask for a spec its " sure what ever you put in as a standard high quality , you know yourself " then to be told I'm way to high.

Advertisement