Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get out of contract for ridiculous service?

Options
  • 09-06-2016 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

So I'm stuck in contract with eir until November. I'm paying for the unlimited package with "up" to 24 Mbs download speed. 

Most evenings, my download speeds are as low as 0.9 Mbs and accessing anything online is next to impossible. 

Every time my wife rings to complain she's hit the this pathetic contract crap. Why should I honor my contract for potentially the worst broadband service in Ireland?

I mean like what grounds does eir have to challenge me for cancelling my direct debit for their embarrassing service?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

So I'm stuck in contract with eir until November. I'm paying for the unlimited package with "up" to 24 Mbs download speed. 

Most evenings, my download speeds are as low as 0.9 Mbs and accessing anything online is next to impossible. 

Every time my wife rings to complain she's hit the this pathetic contract crap. Why should I honor my contract for potentially the worst broadband service in Ireland?

I mean like what grounds does eir have to challenge me for cancelling my direct debit for their embarrassing service?
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]TheTacticsGuy,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for getting in touch. I'm so sorry to hear you have poor broadband speeds and I can understand your frustration with this.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Unfortunately speeds are not guaranteed and are individual to each line. Have you contacted technical support and troubleshooted these issues?[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]-Pamela [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭TheTacticsGuy

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]TheTacticsGuy,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for getting in touch. I'm so sorry to hear you have poor broadband speeds and I can understand your frustration with this.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Unfortunately speeds are not guaranteed and are individual to each line. Have you contacted technical support and troubleshooted these issues?[/font]

Hi Pamela,

To be honest I'm sick to my teeth of contacting eir about the speed issues. They have never resolved it, all I ever get from them is that the line is ok.

Rubbish excuses about old equipment at the exchange point. Even when I moved to sky, they told me that they use Eir's network and that their equipment is old stock.

I'm paying for a service that does not function to an acceptable level. Its not that the speeds are poor some of the time, its all the time, 7 days a week.

Loads of other people have the same issue and are fed the same rubbish excuses, please contact tech support, have you "restarted your modem", I mean like are they really reading this stuff from a card???

You leave me no choice but to cancel my payment with ye and report ye to ComReg.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭RezwoK

Hi Pamela,

To be honest I'm sick to my teeth of contacting eir about the speed issues. They have never resolved it, all I ever get from them is that the line is ok.

Rubbish excuses about old equipment at the exchange point. Even when I moved to sky, they told me that they use Eir's network and that their equipment is old stock.

I'm paying for a service that does not function to an acceptable level. Its not that the speeds are poor some of the time, its all the time, 7 days a week.

Loads of other people have the same issue and are fed the same rubbish excuses, please contact tech support, have you "restarted your modem", I mean like are they really reading this stuff from a card???

You leave me no choice but to cancel my payment with ye and report ye to ComReg.
    "Report ye to comreg"? Pfff ok. 

May as well report them to the dog liscence authority. 

Check the terms and conditions. They're on the eircom site.

All speeds are sold on the basis of "up to" 24 Mb depending on what your line can hold.  

It depends on the distance of your line to the exchange and it sounds like your far away and connected to an old exchange thats not upgraded to next gen BB.

I'm in the very same boat as many thousands are - it's a problem in not only Ireland but also the UK.

You initially had a 10 day window to cancel according to eircom terms and conditions and consumer rights and if you use the service beyond that your contractually bound.

Comreg won't do sh1t. 

Eircom are following their own T's and C's. 

Your only choice is to chill and accept that the Broadband in your area is crap or cancel and pay the cancellation fee and look for another Broadband provider that can offer you better (which is unlikely because competitors use eircom network)

Comreg lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

RezwoK wrote: »

All speeds are sold on the basis of "up to" 24 Mb depending on what your line can hold.  

It depends on the distance of your line to the exchange and it sounds like your far away and connected to an old exchange thats not upgraded to next gen BB.

I'm in the very same boat as many thousands are - it's a problem in not only Ireland but also the UK.

You initially had a 10 day window to cancel according to eircom terms and conditions and consumer rights and if you use the service beyond that your contractually bound.

Comreg won't do sh1t. 

Your only choice is to chill and accept that the Broadband in your area is crap or cancel and pay the cancellation fee and look for another Broadband provider that can offer you better (which is unlikely because competitors use eircom network)

Comreg lol

It's eircom's line though - the OP is merely renting it.

So it's their responsibility to ensure that it works.

If you rent a car that only does 20mph, it probably won't be against the terms & conditions, but any decent customer service would sort you out.

This "up to" is a cop-out and should be banned; imagine have a contract where they won't even install if it's below 30, and you can get out of a contract for €100.

I ditched eircom after being promised for 5 years that proper broadband speeds were "coming soon"; because they were paid the same regardless of what service they provided, there was no incentive for them to fix the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

http://www.asai.ie/ You best bet is here. Eircom don't supply what they preach.

• Advertisement

Hi Pamela,

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I’m sorry to hear this [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]TheTacticsGuy,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Can you PM me your account number and I will have the technical team take a look into this, I should be then able to offer some clarification on why you are experiencing these issues.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]-Pamela  [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭TheTacticsGuy

Hi Pamela,

Comreg won't do sh1t. 

Comreg lol
    Isn't it amazing that my connection was fine for the first few weeks and then it drops to unusable, I'm not that far from the exchange but yes it is an old exchange point. "Chill and accept the Broadband or cancel and pay the cancellation fee", I don't think so pal.

Hi Pamela,

Comreg won't do sh1t. 

Comreg lol
    Isn't it amazing that my connection was fine for the first few weeks and then it drops to unusable, I'm not that far from the exchange but yes it is an old exchange point. "Chill and accept the Broadband or cancel and pay the cancellation fee", I don't think so pal.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I can understand your frustration [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]TheTacticsGuy[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] and I’m more than happy to take a look into this with the technical support team however I am unable to do this unless you PM me your account details.[/font]

Advertisement