Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learn how/where to fish

• 09-06-2016 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭

Fishing was always something I wanted to do but never had anyone to show me or friends who had much interest so never really bothered with it.

I now have a son who is 4 so its something i would like to teach him or learn with him but haven't the foggiest as to where to start.

I have no gear nor do i have any idea what would be a good starter rod for himself or myself.

Also I'm in Galway, any ideas of where to actually go fishing? Could anyone point me in the right direction to read up on the sport for beginners or any tips to get us started?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

gufc21 wrote: »
    Fishing was always something I wanted to do but never had anyone to show me or friends who had much interest so never really bothered with it.

I now have a son who is 4 so its something i would like to teach him or learn with him but haven't the foggiest as to where to start.

I have no gear nor do i have any idea what would be a good starter rod for himself or myself.

Also I'm in Galway, any ideas of where to actually go fishing? Could anyone point me in the right direction to read up on the sport for beginners or any tips to get us started?

First place to start is by heading into the local rod shop and have a chat with the lad behind the counter with regards to equipment and maybe a book or two about the basics of fishing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Also check out your local Library, they normally have a good (if dated) selection of Angling books, they would more than likely have some DVD's about fishing you could borrow, all for Free. Then do as Jonny says and go to your local tackle shop

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭.red.

What kind of fishing would you like to do?
    There should be plenty of salt water spots around galway if that tickles your fancy?
    With a really light rod and reel set up you can float fish off any pier or wall. The fish are usually small but its good fun and fish are (usually) aplenty. Anything will do for bait, bit of mackerel, bit of a prawn, a worm if you want to go digging.
    Its easy fishing, relatively safe for a 4yo depending on location and good craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

The very best thing is to tag along with somebody who knows what they're doing. It's a much better way to learn the basics than a book or a video as you can ask questions that an author wouldn't think about answering.
    If you don't know anyone personally you could contact the local fishing club, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help.

The main question at this stage is do you want to fish the sea or the lakes and rivers? Do you have any fish in mind that you'd like to catch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭Guffy

That's the thing. I haven't a clue about what type of fishing i wanted to do. Maybe start with something that wouldnt require the young lad to have a big cast. I did a couple of days fishing Mackrell when i was younger and obviously it was the reeling the fish in that was the craic so i guess the bigger the fight the better 😂

I'll pop into the tackle shop over the weekend and see what advice they can give. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭.red.

Ask to see an "lrf" set up.
    Their usually cheap but great fun. Their designed for targeting small fish. You feel everything thru the rod. When a decent fish does come along they are serious craic altogether. Casting wouldnt be needed as you can drop small lures or baits straight down over piers and walls. Ideal for a 4 year old and youd enjoy it too
    This is what i have.
    http://www.tackledirectireland.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_85&products_id=806
    For a reel go.for a shimano, probably a little more expensive than other brands but well worth it. Even the cheaper ones will last if looked after, unlike some most budget reels. Got for a 1000 or 2500 size. The 2500 is probably a better buy as it will feel ok on a rod like above but will also go on a slightly heavier rod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

gufc21 wrote: »
    That's the thing. I haven't a clue about what type of fishing i wanted to do. Maybe start with something that wouldnt require the young lad to have a big cast. I did a couple of days fishing Mackrell when i was younger and obviously it was the reeling the fish in that was the craic so i guess the bigger the fight the better 😂

I'll pop into the tackle shop over the weekend and see what advice they can give. Thanks.

If you have any coarse fishing lakes nearby you and the young fella would have great fun fishing with a 'whip'. Very, very cheap and very easy to catch fish (which would keep him interested). They're small fish but great fun on a light kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

There is a small stocked fishery in Oughterard, out the Spiddal road. AFAIK they hire rods and do tuition, so it would be a good start to see if he likes it without the expense of buying loads of gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

Do you have any people you know who knows how to fish as this would be the best option. It would be an enjoyable fishing trip with good friends and also a learning lesson for you free of charge. Sorry if this suggestion have been posted previously, I just think it's an idea

Advertisement