Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car insurance, no NCB and 7 points

• 09-06-2016 3:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommed insurer/broker for a quote, no car insurance in own name for the last 3 years and points on licence (5 but 2 more added today...so 7...)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cannot help you with a recommendation but if one of them does decide to take you on, it ain't going to be cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can look in the two sticky threads above
    Insurance - tell us your quotes/ renewals
    A guide to motor insurance & FAQ's

if someone else has many points and no NCB but tbh you will have to do the legwork - ring many brokers and insurers, see list in the first post of the guide thread.
    This is because everyone's circumstances are unique and what works for me might not work for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Can anyone recommed insurer/broker for a quote, no car insurance in own name for the last 3 years and points on licence (5 but 2 more added today...so 7...)

You'll most likely need to use the 3 refusals and then the original company has to quote, but it won't be reasonable in any way.

Did you get the letter from the RSA today about the latest 2 points or where you caught today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

I'd try Liberty direct (not sure of their appetite any more, but worth a go) and Brittons as a broker.

None will be cheap. I'd be organising a letter of driving experience also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Have you been named on a policy for 3 years?

If so you may be entitled to get am introductory no claims bonus for this. The points will probably result in an issue because some companies decline new business for any more than 6 and I'd expect a hefty loading from those that do quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Corvo wrote: »
    I'd try Liberty direct (not sure of their appetite any more, but worth a go).

They won't even quote him. I've no points, 15 years insurance in my own name and 4 years stepped back NCB and I still didn't meet their requirements for new business this year because I had a claim in 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Dial Hard wrote: »
    They won't even quote him. I've no points, 15 years insurance in my own name and 4 years stepped back NCB and I still didn't meet their requirements for new business this year because I had a claim in 2014.

Aye, I had a feeling they were kicking out some of their book alright, but that seems harsh.

Corvo wrote: »
    Aye, I had a feeling they were kicking out some of their book alright, but that seems harsh.

Depends on the claim amount tbh.

Most insurers have a threshold of €20,000 or less paid out in the last 5 years. Any more than that and its an auto decline for new business. Its not a new practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Depends on the claim amount tbh.

Most insurers have a threshold of €20,000 or less paid out in the last 5 years. Any more than that and its an auto decline for new business. Its not a new practice.

It was €4,500, first and only claim.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It was €4,500, first and only claim.

Very harsh so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

I have 2 policies in my own name,a 151 Audi a3 184 bhp and a 06 golf gti . wife tipped the a3 when it was a few weeks old and we stuck it through my insurance ,they settled the claim for €1660. Fast forward to last week when I went to insure my brand new transit connect van and my usual broker couldn't get a quote.Rang insure my van and they quoted €4850.
    Only option ,pay back the €1660 to the insurance company we claimed from and they were happy to delete the claim of there system like it never happen and got the van insured for €800 on a new policy with no Ncb. They are thieving scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Two private policies in your name? Didn't think that was allowed 🤔

_Brian wrote: »
    Two private policies in your name? Didn't think that was allowed ��

no one ever had a problem with it ,even ringing around to quote the van,none of the insurances companies or brokers mentioned it as an issue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

To be fair Gearoidol you should've known not to go near your insurance for that tip you had.

Jesus. wrote: »
    To be fair Gearoidol you should've known not to go near your insurance for that tip you had.

normally true but the car was only 3 weeks old,so she took it straight back to the main dealer whos quote was about €3600, the accessor was having none of it and settled with the main dealer for €1660.
    would have no issue paying out €1660 but €3600 was worth going through insurance imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9 muggins77

ok i had to sell my little ford fiesta but not before sending letter to minister for transport and one to europe. my fiesta was 98 was getting quotes over 1000 euro. i have full no claims bonus , no points nothing. bought 03 peugoet 206. got quote from AA for just over 500 euro .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 D.I.Why

Only broker/underwriter that would quote me after being abroad for 15 years.

Good luck!

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

if only ther was a broker out there who would insure people who can't follow the most basic of driving courtesy and rules

tut tut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

I'm clean as a whistle and was getting quotes from the big brokers between 4 and 5k to move from an old fiesta insured for 900 last year to a new bmw 3 series. Quote devil quoted me 4,800 and the bloke on the phone actually told me to go try kennco directly. Insured for under 1800ish with them, fully comp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Another totally absurd nonsense of Irish insurance market - to load driver's premium for penalty points....

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    Another totally absurd nonsense of Irish insurance market - to load driver's premium for penalty points....

Why do you think that?

Penalty points are in place to ensure that people drive as safe as possible.

If people have multiple points that means there is a pattern of not adhering to the rules of the road and / or driving in an unsafe manner.

If someone has a pattern of not adhering to the rules of the road and / or driving in an unsafe manner then they are very obviously a higher risk driver and should pay more.

Im quite surprised that anyone could think otherwise tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

gearoidol wrote: »
    I have 2 policies in my own name,a 151 Audi a3 184 bhp and a 06 golf gti . wife tipped the a3 when it was a few weeks old and we stuck it through my insurance ,they settled the claim for €1660. Fast forward to last week when I went to insure my brand new transit connect van and my usual broker couldn't get a quote.Rang insure my van and they quoted €4850.
    Only option ,pay back the €1660 to the insurance company we claimed from and they were happy to delete the claim of there system like it never happen and got the van insured for €800 on a new policy with no Ncb. They are thieving scumbags.

The house ALWAYS wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

_Brian wrote: »
    Two private policies in your name? Didn't think that was allowed 🤔

Of course it is, why wouldn't they take your money.
    Using one ncb for more that one policy is difficult, but is doable.

you can have 100 policies if you want to cover your fleet of 100 cars, but id probably go down the route of depositing a nice chunk of money with the department of transport if I had a fleet of 100 cars.

To the op, you're best off getting out the phone book and ringing all the brokers listed. Be prepared for ridiculous quotes. Ive 5 years ncb, no penalty points and last year my quotes ranged from 500 to over 4 k. Needless to say, I went with the 500 one. Dreading renewal in september though :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Why do you think that?

If people have multiple points that means there is a pattern of not adhering to the rules of the road and / or driving in an unsafe manner.

If someone has a pattern of not adhering to the rules of the road and / or driving in an unsafe manner then they are very obviously a higher risk driver and should pay more.

Penalty points show a pattern of being in the wrong place at the wrong time more than anything else. I'd wager that the vast majority are awarded due to sneaky speed traps in places where there are inappropriate speed limits and no danger to pedestrians or other road users. A drivers accident and claims history is a far better gauge of their risk to the insurer. Some insurers barely load at all for penalty points and rightly so, unless they are accumulated for reckless / dangerous driving I don't think the driver poses any more threat than somebody with a clean slate.

I agree with the points system btw, I just don't think having 3 or 6 points makes you a bad driver, just an unlucky one. If you followed every driver in the country around for a week and took a zero tolerance approach we wouldn't have a car left on the road IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Why do you think that?

The problem with penalty points is the 3 year duration. A person gets 2 points for perhaps being "in the wrong place at the wrong time" and is left with a premium of potentially hundreds of euro for three years on their insurance. Seems disproportionate. There should be a scale.

mickeyk wrote: »
    Penalty points show a pattern of being in the wrong place at the wrong time more than anything else. I'd wager that the vast majority are awarded due to sneaky speed traps in places where there are inappropriate speed limits and no danger to pedestrians or other road users. A drivers accident and claims history is a far better gauge of their risk to the insurer. Some insurers barely load at all for penalty points and rightly so, unless they are accumulated for reckless / dangerous driving I don't think the driver poses any more threat than somebody with a clean slate.

I agree with the points system btw, I just don't think having 3 or 6 points makes you a bad driver, just an unlucky one. If you followed every driver in the country around for a week and took a zero tolerance approach we wouldn't have a car left on the road IMO.

I agree. If there is huge non compliance with a given speed limit, then the speed limit is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

genericguy wrote: »
    I agree. If there is huge non compliance with a given speed limit, then the speed limit is wrong.
    Absurd reasoning.

Let's all just drive at 70 or 80 mph from now on and the speed limit will be increased because it's "wrong".

Canadel wrote: »
    Absurd reasoning.

Let's all just drive at 70 or 80 mph from now on and the speed limit will be increased because it's "wrong".

No. Take the navan road in d 15 as an example. That road is 80, bar one short stretch of 60 which last about 150 meters where the quality of road does not diminish, there are no bends, no turns etc and no pedestrians. And there is at some point every single day, a Garda with a hairdryer trying to catch people in that stretch. The 60 limit cannot be described as 'for safety purposes', it is simply for revenue generation purposes.
    The limit here is incorrect, and is only there for the purpose of stinging people for 80 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Why do you think that?

Well I wasn't living in Ireland when points were introduced, so I don't really know what was the point of them, but I would rather think they are here, to get people who constantly break rules of the road - off the road.
    And that's done by imposing 6 months ban on ones who exeed point limit.
    I can't see any point in doing more, especially by insurance companies.

Problem here is that enforcement is rare and unequally spread among the country.
    There might people who drive mostly is area where there is plenty of gardai and speed cameras, and they might just be unlucky to get caught few times being a bit over speed limit making them collect multiple points, which will make their insurance price nuts.

On the other side, you have people like me, living in the West, driving on empty country roads and boreens at extreme speeds, often exceeding speed limit multiple times, and I can be pretty much guaranteed I won't receive any penalty points for doing that.

So in my insurers eyes, I'm as safe as I can be.
    That's true about pattern of not adhering to the rules of the road.
    I'd argue about unsafe manner bit, as exceeding speed limit which is the majority source of penalty points, very often might not be unsafe, as well as very often people driving within speed limit, might be actually driving unsafe. So it's not as straight forward as you or insurers try to paint it.

But also as above, fact that someone doesn't have penalty points, doesn't meant that there isn't such pattern.

Also I don't believe there is any link between amount of penalty points collected and chances of causing accident which would result in a claim.

I won't believe until I see a statistics showing that most people who caused accidents had several penalty points. Or oppsite approach - that most people who had several penalty points caused an accident. I just genuinely don't believe that's the case.

I said it many times, but I'll repeat.

Only valid reason to think that someone is high risk driver, is a proven claims history.
    If someone was driving for 10 years and caused 5 claims, then risk is high for such person.
    If someone's driven for 20 years and didn't cause a single claim, so chances are very high he won't cause one in any foreseeable future, even if he has 11 penalty points, driving convictions, and drives modified hi power car older than 15 years old...

That's how I see it.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

the only speedtrap i pass is always in the same place

and you'd always get a few flashes of the lights before you pass it

those flashers have saved me at least 21 points

Canadel wrote: »
    Absurd reasoning. Let's all just drive at 70 or 80 mph from now on and the speed limit will be increased because it's "wrong".

That's actually not a bad idea

CiniO wrote: »
    It is quite strange that anyone could possibly come to any other conclusion on this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Thanks all, it's for my husband, none of the points are for speeding btw but I don't think that makes a difference, looks like I better get phoning round!

muggins77 wrote: »
    ok i had to sell my little ford fiesta but not before sending letter to minister for transport and one to europe. my fiesta was 98 was getting quotes over 1000 euro. i have full no claims bonus , no points nothing. bought 03 peugoet 206. got quote from AA for just over 500 euro .

Muggins did you get a reply? I'll do it myself not that it'll do any good. Perhaps a letter to my local TD might have a better chance of getting through?

Advertisement