Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ladder trap

• 09-06-2016 6:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭

With a ladder trap if the call bird was a magpie, would it catch only magpie or would a Hooded crow try and get in as well?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭mallards

Yes hooded crows, jackdaws etc, I've had them all in it at the same time. You will need to check regularly though, twice a day at least. As the hooded crows will try and kill the magpies. I know you would be culling them anyway, but any suffering is unnecessary. I did have a buzzard once enter mine and killed the lot. The buzzard was released of course unharmed but just shows how necessary it is to check it regularly. The ladder trap is by far the best way to control corvids and the most efficient. The small birds, waders and of course game will thank you for it. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

mallards wrote: »
    Yes hooded crows, jackdaws etc, I've had them all in it at the same time. You will need to check regularly though, twice a day at least. As the hooded crows will try and kill the magpies. I know you would be culling them anyway, but any suffering is unnecessary. I did have a buzzard once enter mine and killed the lot. The buzzard was released of course unharmed but just shows how necessary it is to check it regularly. The ladder trap is by far the best way to control corvids and the most efficient. The small birds, waders and of course game will thank you for it. Good luck!
    So just one call bird (ie magpie) will be sufficient? There is a wader site 7km away, would culling corvids in my place be any good for them, or is it too far?

I have planted a WBC for twite so don't want crows to ate it all in winter. Also crex in area. Hooded crows drove out breeding Chough from ruin beside farm, so hopefully if I get their numbers down I will get them back. Put of chough nest box as well, so would add protection against crows.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭borrisboy

What size ladder are you guys using? We built a fine trap but have not had much luck with it.

borrisboy wrote: »
    What size ladder are you guys using? We built a fine trap but have not had much luck with it.
    don't have one yet, going to ask NPWS for one.
    could you post pic up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I would be afraid a magpie would get out of the ladder trap, we got best results with a grey crow callbird. Best to put a leg ring on the decoy bird so you do not kill it by accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭mallards

So just one call bird (ie magpie) will be sufficient? There is a wader site 7km away, would culling corvids in my place be any good for them, or is it too far?.

For best results I feed mine for a week or two before putting the roof on. It's an old converted partridge pen. I emptied it each time I visit. When the number of captures slows, move it and start again. You would really need your neighbours to be doing the same to make any impact so far away. But you should be able to keep your own patch pretty clear which will help the crake and others.

IMG_0841.jpg

Also here's my buzzard and his release.the same guy comes back from time to time.

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Nice Mallards fair play you thats a good set up. Your duck flight pond was pretty impressive too! Cap why would NPWS give you a ladder trap?

barnaman wrote: »
    Nice Mallards fair play you thats a good set up. Your duck flight pond was pretty impressive too! Cap why would NPWS give you a ladder trap?
    In NPWS corncrake farm plan and manage farm for twite as well. They already gave me a nest box for chough. Grey crows are the main reason why the chough stopped breeding beside the farm, hopefully the npws will probably give me a ladder trap as well. My NPWS ranger who advises me is a sound lad, always willing to Help!

Advertisement