Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting 2 kittens, advice appreciated.

• 09-06-2016 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,626 ✭✭✭✭

So we're getting two kittens from a rescue centre. Due in next few days.
    Live on a farm, 300m from road so hopefully they will be safe from traffic.

their not going to be house cats. They will live in the garage and I'll put in a cat flap for them to be trained to when it's time for them to have their own freedom.

They will start with a small enough corner of the garage, bed, water and litter tray.
    They're 8-10 weeks.

Do they need toys straight away or best wait ??
    Unlimited play access for kids immediately or not??, two gentle girls.
    What age would it be ok to allow them free access to outside.
    Is rodent bait any danger to them ??

Maybe an example of a good daily routine, feeding etc ??

They will be neutered/spayed, what age is best ??

How often do you worm and lice treat your cats ??
    Any other regular treatments advised ?

Should I introduce collars straight away or wait ?

Advice appreciated.

Kids are excited and just want to do best for kittens to settle them in well.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

_Brian wrote: »
    So we're getting two kittens from a rescue centre. Due in next few days.
    Live on a farm, 300m from road so hopefully they will be safe from traffic.

their not going to be house cats. They will live in the garage and I'll put in a cat flap for them to be trained to when it's time for them to have their own freedom.

They will start with a small enough corner of the garage, bed, water and litter tray.
    They're 8-10 weeks.

Do they need toys straight away or best wait ?? - A few ping pong balls does not hurt.
    Unlimited play access for kids immediately or not??, two gentle girls. - Limited; kittens can exhaust themselves to far (we had a kitten go into seizure due to it) so limit it in 15 to 30 min intervalls under supervision. Ideal play thing is something on a stick as this allows the children to interact even if they are scardy.
    What age would it be ok to allow them free access to outside. - They need to stay inside during nights (foxes etc.) and be supervised for birds going for them until they grow up in size quite a bit so I'd wait at least a month and then only in limited duration; work on walking them on a leash if possible.
    Is rodent bait any danger to them ?? - Yes and they risk trying most things

Maybe an example of a good daily routine, feeding etc ?? - Three times a day at the same time every day spread over the day.

They will be neutered/spayed, what age is best ?? - As they can't be allowed to roam until neutered obviously sooner rather than later but 2kg/5 months which ever comes first at the latest.

How often do you worm and lice treat your cats ?? - Every three months.
    Any other regular treatments advised ? - Regular vaccinations once a year.

Should I introduce collars straight away or wait ? - Straight away.
    See comments in red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP, assume the kittens are handled/not feral?
    I would just add that you should keep them in the garage, not allowing them out at all, for at the very least a week - until they recognise it as "home"
    drinking water available at all times.
    Good idea to feed at specific times, so that they get used to the routine, when they are grown, I would recommend getting into the routine of feeding (once or twice/day) at specific times too so that they will always come home at mealtimes.
    Pick up their food, when they are finished eating, while they are in the garage so it wont attract mice or rats
    I dont like collars, in case they get 'caught' on something - make sure they have one that 'releases' if you are putting them on, and yes right away...
    Lovely for your girls to have new kittens. You could get them some 'dreamies' or treats of some sort so that the girls could be responsible for giving the kittens a treat or two - and the kittens will come to the girls for the treats!
    Flea treatments depend on the product you buy - one month or 3 months... keep up the wormers when they are small for sure. A spot-on treatment when they are small is easier to administer.
    It wont be as hard as you think to keep them contained until they are neutered...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Keep them in for 6 weeks, it takes this long for a cat to recognise the their new environment enough to let them out.

Food out all day for kittens until 9 months and them food 2 daily.

limited access for the kids. the kittens will tire themselves out very easily.

toys like little balls and tracks with balls are great, also dangly toys so kids can pay with them.

get advice from your vet re neutering, try to get them done asap. I would suggest 13 weeks of age so they can recover while still having their 6 weeks indoors.

when introducing them to the outdoors do it on limited access with someone with them.

kittens will eat anything, rait bait, slug pellets and also their litter so dont get a clumping one.

worm and flea every three months.

vax and vet check every year.

collar straight away bt make sure its an easy pop one not a clasp. too many kittens/cats getting strangled. :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭taytobreath

they'll hardly have kittens this season but the sooner the better to get them neutered.
    lots of gentle human interaction and gentle playing is what they will need
    food is a good way to make a kitten trust u

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,626 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Just an update..
    Kittens are doing great...
    I've expanded the area they have and they are very sociable, eating and drinking fine and using litter tray all the time.. All good so far. girls are very happy and my eldest who isn't keen on any animals (strange since we have a farm with chickens, pigs and cattle) is really bonding with them which is wonderful.

One minor hick up in that youngest's hayfever has increased but by keeping her away from kittens and reintroducing it doesn't seem any different so hopefully cats aren't making it worse..

A question, is a 6" square cat flap enough for a standard sized cat to use easily ??

like this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

6 inches is very, very small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

6 inches is very, very small.

Won't 15cm by 15cm be plenty? Would have thought that was the size of most of the ones I've seen? I think the way perhaps the op wrote the post might be confusing, I think he means that the flap is 6" by 6" and is a square shape?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I hope these little ones stay safe. Eight weeks of age is waaaaaaaaay too young to be exploring outdoors anytime soon. They have no sense of danger and are incredibly vulnerable. TBH I'm disappointed a rescue gave out such young kittens to an outdoor home. Older kittens or even young adult cats would have been a much safer bet. That said, congratulations and best of luck, OP! Sounds like you are doing everything you can for them.

boomerang wrote: »
    I hope these little ones stay safe. Eight weeks of age is waaaaaaaaay too young to be exploring outdoors anytime soon. They have no sense of danger and are incredibly vulnerable. TBH I'm disappointed a rescue gave out such young kittens to an outdoor home. Older kittens or even young adult cats would have been a much safer bet. That said, congratulations and best of luck, OP! Sounds like you are doing everything you can for them.

Yes guys it's 6" by 6".

@boomerang , they won't be going out any time soon. I just want to be prepared. By the time I buy it online, have it delivered, build up the courage to take a jigsaw to my door and fit it, it will be another few weeks.
    Even then the plan is to train them to use it and only have them out for short times under supervision.

Think it will be quite a while before they're left to their own devices.

thanks guys.

Decided to play it safe and ordered the larger one.. big is better than too small !!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

Keep an eye on the worsened hay fever, probably fine but my hay fever worsened when I got my cats and over time I started to wheeze a bit, didn't think much of it until I had an asthma attack (having not previously had asthma). Turns out my babies brought on allergic asthma. Once we worked out what was going on it was easy to manage & a good quality antihistamine keeps things in check but was a bit scary at first!
    Not sure how old your girl is & probably not an issue at all, but just keep an eye out for any wheezing.

• Advertisement

boomerang wrote: »
    I hope these little ones stay safe. Eight weeks of age is waaaaaaaaay too young to be exploring outdoors anytime soon.

We were given kittens years ago and they were living outside full time from a few days after we got them (slept in a box in the garage the first few nights) and they were younger than 8 weeks I reckon. They had free roam and access to a kennel for night time etc though they often slept under the car or in a hedge. Never a bother on them.

Same for all the farm cats, they would have kittens and live in sheds and outside with free roam for the day they were born. People mollycoddle animals far too much nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Same for all the farm cats, they would have kittens and live in sheds and outside with free roam for the day they were born. People mollycoddle animals far too much nowadays.

If you are going to look after them at all you might as well do it right and don't leave things to chance. I live on a farm too and no way would I risk kittens outside where a fox or a neighbour's dog might wander in and snatch them.

Just a quick update..

Kittens have been great..
    They were kept indoors in garage initially, then introducing to outdoors starting at 15 minutes supervised and building up to being out for a few hours unattended..

Installed a cat flap, one has no bother and the other seems baffled by it, so we have it tied open. They are now having free access out 24/7 and loving it. They've been vaccinated & wormed and one booked in for neutering this week, vet said one was a little small and to wait a while.. The cat flap will probably stay tied open for the foreseeable future, may try it again in time when they are both bigger..

I'm surprised how much I've enjoyed them myself, they have great little personalities..

Have to watch the house doors as they do dart in if they get an opportunity... I used to wander in/out myself and leave doors open, cant do that any more..

They have such fun outside I can't imagine them being indoors all their life..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

I bet ya you're going to let them in at some point...NO ONE can resist little kittens and you're going to have so much fun.Kittens love cuddles and cats are VERY clean...:D

I bet ya you're going to let them in at some point...NO ONE can resist little kittens and you're going to have so much fun.Kittens love cuddles and cats are VERY clean...:D

I'd say my 8yo daughter is the weak link, we found her last summer bringing in one of the chickens :)

TBH things have worked out better than expected, my Eldest was afraid of basically all animals but has bonded well with the kittens and loves spending time with them, brushing and playing. Even I've softened to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

_Brian wrote: »
    I'd say my 8yo daughter is the weak link, we found her last summer bringing in one of the chickens :)

TBH things have worked out better than expected, my Eldest was afraid of basically all animals but has bonded well with the kittens and loves spending time with them, brushing and playing. Even I've softened to them.

HA! 1-0 for the kitties. :p (silently delighted)

Advertisement