Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reservoir Dog returns on 04-Sept - and it still bites!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

:o In fairness to Eventmaster they do have Blessington Tidy Towns on the booking info. It's just the booking confirmation that mentions Blessington Youth Project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

I'm in for the big one this year, really enjoyed it last year. Ill drive to blessington this year though.

Hi Folks, A new feature to the Reservoir Dog Sportive this year is the introduction of a high quality finishers medal. We have just approved the attached design and we hope you will agree it looks prettty niiice, as Larry David might say. To qualify for the Medal riders must have registered online and completed the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Corker1 wrote: »
    Hi Folks, A new feature to the Reservoir Dog Sportive this year is the introduction of a high quality finishers medal. We have just approved the attached design and we hope you will agree it looks prettty niiice, as Larry David might say. To qualify for the Medal riders must have registered online and completed the course.

Looks great.

I have one job, and it's this.

Ok folks, Only five and a half weeks before the Reservoir Dog Sportive takes to hills and valleys of Wicklow (and a corner of South Dublin). We are running a competition for 'Early Bird' online entrants (forgive the pun as you read on). Keep an eye on our event page over the coming weeks where we will be running competitions to encourage online entry. We love it when riders register online as it helps with planning for foodstops etc.
    COMPETITION TIME; Russborough House, the host venue for The Reservoir Dog Sportive is a major tourist attraction in County Wicklow and is ranked # 1 on Trip advisor of things to do in Wicklow. A fabulous recent addition to the visitor attractions here is the National Bird of Prey Centre where the public can meet Hawks, Falcons, Eagles, Owls and Vultures from around the world and see flying displays. Register for the Reservoir Dog Sportive online before 8th August to be in with a chance of winning one of four family passes (2Adults + 2Children) value €25 for the National Pird of Prey Center at Russborough. Something to inspire you to soar like and eagle up those climbs and swoop like a falcon down the descents.

http://www.thereservoirdogsportive.ie/register.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Signed up today.... just need to get all the up into my legs between now and then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Signed up today.... just need to get all the up into my legs between now and then.

Same, wasn't planning on doing any more sportives this year, but given my youngest's two big loves are dogs and bling, no way can I let a medal like this slip past. Bags I lanterne rouge!

That's great thanks. Just get a few hilly cycles in the legs between now and then and you'll be grand. Yes the medal is 'blingtastic' and will appeal to riders and non-riders of all ages. We will post a picture of the medal when it becomes available!

Some good news for the finishers of the Reservoir Dog and Pup is that we have partnered with a local craft brewery in the area to provide post event refreshments. The Manor Brewing Company, which appropriately enough is the highest brewery in Ireland and is based at Manor Kilbride which both routes pass through. They have a special brew underway to be launched at the Reservoir Dog which can be sampled on completion of our sportive. A well earned thirst indeed! There will also be a prize draw announced for on-line entrants to the Reservoir Dog Sportive including prizes of Mont craft lager and merchandise including t-shirts. Keep an eye on our event FB page for details.
    The organisers of the Reservoir Dog Sportive encourage responsible drinking and ask that event participants never drink and drive.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/994609290634624/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

I'll have to sweet talk the missus into a day at Russborough House with the kids... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Sounds like I'll have to deploy the team car on the day

Anyone got the lowdown on this Cunard climb?

How it compares to other well known climbs etc.

You've a couple of ways up Cunard coming from the line, the first which I assume we're going up is steep but short enough, similar to the upper wall. You can also take a slightly longer route taking the next left turn which is slightly less steep. Both lead you to Glassamucky which is steep enough in spots too and a bit longer. Very doable, but they have me sucking in air pretty hard to get to the top. Not nearly as tough as Kilmashogue IMO and actually quite a nice climb in a bizarre kind of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Save something for the last couple of hundred metres as it kicks up again at the 90deg turn that takes you up to the military road.

This is the segment on Strava

http://www.strava.com/segments/1329636

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Absolute hoor of a climb, very steep at the start and then when that bit is over, you get blasted by the wind on the exposed section as you come towards the road to Sally Gap. I'd say it must be one of the hardest approaches to Sally Gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Koobcam wrote: »
    Absolute hoor of a climb, very steep at the start and then when that bit is over, you get blasted by the wind on the exposed section as you come towards the road to Sally Gap. I'd say it must be one of the hardest approaches to Sally Gap.

How would it be versus something like kippure barrier to mast?

I've done that a few times so know the pain, but this seems similiar in distance with a bit for elevation.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

oconnpad wrote: »
    How would it be versus something like kippure barrier to mast?

I've done that a few times so know the pain, but this seems similiar in distance with a bit for elevation.

I'd say it's a bit harder, because it's steep at the start and the end, whereas the mast is just steep in the last km or so. Though having said that, on a windy day, the mast is very hard. Definitely the hardest climb on the reservior dog route I think , though there is one before that which is also not easy...actually, that's just generally a tough route.

Sounds like I'd better give this a go before the event...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

It's tough! The surface is fine but it's a lung buster. You also need to keep your eye out for sheep :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

If I remember right between 20km and 35km are the hard parts the rest is very manageable if you have have the miles in the legs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Thinking about doing this...2 questions

Is it too late to sign up?

I cycle alone, and do not have much experience of sportives, particularly tough ones like this. Am i ok to just plough on myself at my own pace? I think i shoulf be ok with the distance and climbing, well versed in the wicklow mountains and 70-100k spins without breaks

retalivity wrote: »
    I cycle alone, and do not have much experience of sportives, particularly tough ones like this. Am i ok to just plough on myself at my own pace? I think i shoulf be ok with the distance and climbing, well versed in the wicklow mountains and 70-100k spins without breaks

This is how I'm planning on doing it, and do the same for any sportives I enter, never had any issues riding these things solo. Only thing I take care of is when descending and there's a bunch about to take off, let them off a bit ahead, also descending keep a predictable line for those overtaking, and on the rare occasions when I'm overtaking myself to allow a lot of space.

retalivity wrote: »
    Thinking about doing this...2 questions

Is it too late to sign up?

First of all - it's not too late to sign up. You can register online here; http://www.thereservoirdogsportive.ie/register.html Bookings online are brisk but we are not full yet!

Secondly if you are doing 70km - 100km in the Wicklow mountains without breaks you should be fine. We have a well stocked foodstop at Annamoe 61km in, so plenty of chance to refuel and regroup. Because of the big climbs early on, this sportive is unlikely to see a big peleton stay together. Smaller groups and riders in ones and twos will be the order of the day. So take the plunge and give it your best on the 4th September.

Insomnia stopped me from getting out the last couple of mornings but I have been obsessing over the Cunard Climb as it's the only climb in the first half I haven't done st least once before.

Streetview gives me some reassurance in the form of the various lay-bys that a give a weak-fatty some horizontal space for clipping back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I'm in. Not ridden any of the area before so I'm looking forward to this (I think...)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... but I have been obsessing over the Cunard Climb as it's the only climb in the first half I haven't done st least once before...
    You'll be fine on it. It fairly steep alright in places but not to the point where you feel like having to stop. I like to take it easy on the first section and then get out of the saddle for the section after the sharp turn. As has been said, the surface is good (albeit with sheep dung here and there).

P_1 wrote: »
    It's tough! The surface is fine but it's a lung buster. You also need to keep your eye out for sheep :eek:

Sheep, horses, road paved with sh1te.

It's a nice stretch of wicklow road apart from the slight gradient :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

ronoc wrote: »
    Sheep, horses, road paved with sh1te.

It's a nice stretch of wicklow road apart from the slight gradient :pac:

It's in Dublin though...

Insomnia stopped me from getting out the last couple of mornings but I have been obsessing over the Cunard Climb as it's the only climb in the first half I haven't done st least once before.

Streetview gives me some reassurance in the form of the various lay-bys that a give a weak-fatty some horizontal space for clipping back in.

Did it this morning and included the section from Kippure holiday village as well. Firstly, lovely route and very much the type of roads I enjoy cycling. Things to watch for are the descents on narrow roads where you have poor lines of sight, the turn from Ballinscorney on to the Line and the wee bridge by the reservoir. Going up the Cunard climb I did briefly ponder when they'd replaced the 't' with an 'ard', but while very tough not totally horrific and entirely doable. As one weak fatty to another, I personally wouldn't fancy being too boxed in on it, so will enjoy it from the back of the group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Signed up there, will do the cunard - gap - kilbride loop tomorrow.

And as one solo rider to another, you may have company at the back!!!

Advertisement