Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reservoir Dog returns on 04-Sept - and it still bites!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

retalivity wrote: »
    Signed up there, will do the cunard - gap - kilbride loop tomorrow.

And as one solo rider to another, you may have company at the back!!!

I'll see you there as well... (At the back that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Cunard has a nasty start and a sheepful on the final kicker but I wouldn't say it's that hard.

...I stopped for breath at the top but in fairness I'd done 1200+ in the preceding 50km

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

Here is the finished finishers medal. We think it looks 'The Dogs..'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

retalivity wrote: »
    I cycle alone, and do not have much experience of sportives, particularly tough ones like this. Am i ok to just plough on myself at my own pace? I think i shoulf be ok with the distance and climbing, well versed in the wicklow mountains and 70-100k spins without breaks

I started like that - not a bother in all the sportives I've taken part in. If you are an aware enough cyclist joining a group can give you a nice "tow", spesh in windy conditions and generally the slower groups are fine with riders joining on and having a natter. Just make sure you don't overlap wheels and stay near the back if uncomfortable cycling when a bit bunched in (I'm still not comfortable with in, but I blame my mtb background).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Any chance of a family deal? My kids are well able now for 50-70k spins and we've enjoyed an event or two as a family but 4x entry fees is onerous for a family afternoon out. It's all coming out of the one wallet like. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I'm in like Flynn :)

RobFowl wrote: »
    I'm in like Flynn :)

Just because there are reservoirs doesn't mean there's a swim section!

fat bloke wrote: »
    Any chance of a family deal? My kids are well able now for 50-70k spins and we've enjoyed an event or two as a family but 4x entry fees is onerous for a family afternoon out. It's all coming out of the one wallet like. :(

I know where you are coming from Fat Bloke. Not a bad idea having a family discount, it's just we hadn't a similar request before. We cant set that up on the system for this year but it's something that we might do in the future. Of course that's no use to you now so if you PM me we'll try to help you out with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭531

I hope to do this, can I register and sign on on the morning of the event? Thanks

531 wrote: »
    I hope to do this, can I register and sign on on the morning of the event? Thanks

It may be possible to register on the day of the event but on-line bookings are brisk at the moment. To guarantee yourself a place I woud recommend booking online soon. If we reach our allocated numbers prior to 3rd September there will be no registration on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

This was my favourite sportive in 2015 weather is looking good for Sunday so really looking forward to this one. By any chance did you guys look into getting an event jersey done up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

really want to do this but its the wifes birthday and ive already got a pass for the saturday. eek. guess if i dont ask for a pass i will never know !

D3PO wrote: »
    really want to do this but its the wifes birthday and ive already got a pass for the saturday. eek. guess if i dont ask for a pass i will never know !

Oooohh!! tricky dilemna there D3PO. Ask for the pass - sure you might as well be hung for a dog as a pup! ... or was that something about sheep??;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Signed up for this.
    One question, does it come down Ballinascorney and turn left at the top of the golf course?
    Strikes me as an extremely dangerous turn if so, youd easily be doing 60kmph there without trying and its turning into oncoming traffic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

terrydel wrote: »
    Signed up for this.
    One question, does it come down Ballinascorney and turn left at the top of the golf course?
    Strikes me as an extremely dangerous turn if so, youd easily be doing 60kmph there without trying and its turning into oncoming traffic.

Turns right onto the line here, and yes it is a turn you need to slow down for well in advance and quite possibly stop entirely if there is traffic. It'll be a tough one to marshal too.

smacl wrote: »
    Turns right onto the line here, and yes it is a turn you need to slow down for well in advance and quite possibly stop entirely if there is traffic. It'll be a tough one to marshal too.

Sorry, I was thinking going up, your are correct its right. That's the one I was thinking of.
    Dreadful spot for a turn imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It(the junction) was well marshalled last year, flagged at the start, 2 separate marshals up the hill telling you to slow well down. and lots at the turn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

Looks a great spin.... just wouldn't have it in my legs, to do the dog me thinks and the pup is just too short for me, and 85 would have suited me fine :)
    Best of luck to all participants, safe journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 staberinde

Hi everyone, I just wanted to ask if anyone here might be able to give me (and my bike) a lift out to Blessington. I live in Tallaght but of course I could come anywhere convenient for a pick-up. It would be very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

secman wrote: »
    Looks a great spin.... just wouldn't have it in my legs, to do the dog me thinks and the pup is just too short for me, and 85 would have suited me fine :)
    Best of luck to all participants, safe journey.

I am a tad worried about my "endurance" levels. One 90km spin this month, one 125 in July. I have been fluting about on local hills though, doing my dawn Leg'cercise, but they are only 60 minute or so spins before work.

Still, it should be a bit of craic, plus I have a few of these.
    2n20aqd.jpg

Didn't come with a syringe as expected.

Available here http://www.swimcyclerun.com/gels/powerbar-caffeine-boost.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

It is a tricky turn Terrydel, but once everyone is made aware and marshals are there it should be fine. Nothing to stop someone continuing down passed it if they can't make it.

I messed it up last year on damp roads, didn't scrub off enough speed and took a chance by cutting the corner to smooth it out. As luck would have it no cars were coming up the hill but a car did appear out from the reservoir road too late for me to fully abort. Just about got around him while trying to apologise for being a gob****e. Managed to use the grass bank for a soft upright landing . I'll definitely be sitting on the brakes all the way down from Stone Cross to it.

I'll probably be cursing a lot throughout on Sunday. I did an 80k hilly spin last weekend and I was still tired the next day, Monday morning should be fun this week!

After some mechanical issues on my last spin up Cunard I'm seriously considering switching from my lightish alu roadbike to my heavyish steel all rounder.

Entering the Glenasmole Valley I kind of wished for my comfy frame and 28s and even dikx brakes but thought it'd be better to stick to the lighter bike I'd done all my training on....the RD on my poor Tifosi decoded to throw its lot in with the steelies by throwing a fit.

Decisions decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

After some mechanical issues on my last spin up Cunard I'm seriously considering switching from my lightish alu roadbike to my heavyish steel all rounder.

Entering the Glenasmole Valley I kind of wished for my comfy frame and 28s and even dikx brakes but thought it'd be better to stick to the lighter bike I'd done all my training on....the RD on my poor Tifosi decoded to throw its lot in with the steelies by throwing a fit.

Decisions decisions.

New bike

Crocked wrote: »
    It is a tricky turn Terrydel, but once everyone is made aware and marshals are there it should be fine. Nothing to stop someone continuing down passed it if they can't make it.

I messed it up last year on damp roads, didn't scrub off enough speed and took a chance by cutting the corner to smooth it out. As luck would have it no cars were coming up the hill but a car did appear out from the reservoir road too late for me to fully abort. Just about got around him while trying to apologise for being a gob****e. Managed to use the grass bank for a soft upright landing . I'll definitely be sitting on the brakes all the way down from Stone Cross to it.

I'll probably be cursing a lot throughout on Sunday. I did an 80k hilly spin last weekend and I was still tired the next day, Monday morning should be fun this week!

Yes Crocked, it is a potentially the trickiest part of the course for riders but as you mentioned it is well Marshalled and marked and all riders will have it drilled into them at the safety briefing at the start to descend with caution on this stretch of road. Sorry to hear you had a close one there last year. At least you had the bike handling skills to stay upright. I think you won't be the only tired one on Monday. But pace yourself early on and you'll be grand:)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Apologies Corker I probably should have made it clearer when I said last year just in case anyone thinks it was a marshaling issue. It was on a solo spin last year, not during the r-dog. So none of your marshals to blame at all, just my own stupidity.

It was more sheer luck rather than my mediocre handling skills that saved my skin!

Crocked wrote: »

Totally agree mate, personally I think it would be better to go down all the way towards bohernabreena, take the right there and go up past the GAA Club and cemetery and onto the military road that way, it would still take in the same Cunard climb and would be safer.
    If you overshoot that turn you've got a right hoor of a climb back up to it! The section straight after is by the far the steepest part, must be near 20%! big incentive not to miss the turn haha
    You'll be grand, welcome to join our little group of 3 if you like. i'll be on a green giant defy, my bro on dark grey cayon and my mate on a red and white look.
    I did the Sean Kelly 10 days ago and drove straight home afterwards, into work the next morning, and didn't feel right the whole week, only feeling decent the last 2 days. It takes it out of you for sure, sometimes more than we realise or care to admit, especially at the end of a long summer on the bike.
    :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Decisions decisions.

I'll be on the Rose CX, disc brakes, 35s and the Brooks saddle. Neither light nor fast (me or the bike), but comfy, comfy, comfy. Maybe the CdF for you?

The decision has been made for me. The Ambrosio Shimano/Campy cassette on my Roadbike has a bent sprocket...

More excuse to hang on the back I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Just checking....are the 125 and 50k both rolling out at 9am?

• Advertisement

Will there be registration on the day? Think I might give it a go.

Advertisement