Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reservoir Dog returns on 04-Sept - and it still bites!

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

siochain wrote: »
    And pics up yet ?

Not yet, No pics will be posted on our main website for a while yet which is still not working properly for us, but keep an eye on our Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mgbgt0_0

Corker1 wrote: »
    Not yet, No pics will be posted on our main website for a while yet which is still not working properly for us, but keep an eye on our Facebook page.
    I hope to have pictures uploaded later this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Corker1 wrote: »
    Thank you for those kind words Terrydel and others that have given us feedback.
    First and foremost just a quick update on the injured rider. We spoke with his clubmates at the end of the event and were told that he has a back injury. I rang the Velo Club Balrothery for an update of his condition early this morning and it seems that while his injury is serious and very painfull there are good prospects for a full recovery. Though he will be out of action for a considerable period. Our best wishes go out to him and his family. Sobering stuff when you think what can go wrong participating in this beautiful sport of hours.

In terms of the Reservoir Dog Sportive we are delighted to recieve all the positive feedback here and on other forums. It seems that most riders had a really enjoyable day. At least the weather came good for most of it.
    When we set out to create this event last year we had a few objectives in mind. We wanted to bring riders on a tough challenging route to showcase some classic climbs and some hidden gems of climbs too in beautifull scenic surroundings. (shame about that flytipping though). We also wanted to make the event rider centric and look after everyone to ensure they had the best possible experience before, during and after their ride. Lets face it, everyone needs a bit of pampering after they have tangled with the likes of Cunard;). Another objective was to raise funds for local charities in our area and get the local community involved in our event which would promote The Reservoir Cogs CC and would also promote cycling and cyclists in general. Underpinning all of the above we wanted to make the event a little bit quirky and unique. It's great that you felt you got good value. There are too many sportives gouging riders for every penny and then not delivering on the price.
    None of yesterdays event would have been possible were it not for the hard work and volunteers including marshals, people working at foodstop, waterstops, event registration, motomarshalls, car parking etc. etc. most of which were drawn from the club membership. Seeing as we are a fairly small club that explains why there were so few Cogs Jerseys to be seen riding the event. We also got some excellent help from the Blessington Tidy Towns volunteers.
    It is only our second year running this event so for sure there are things we could have done better but we will build on this year and hopefully make the Reservoir Dog Sportive better for our riders year on year.
    Thanks and we hope to see all of you back next year with a few new faces along too.

That's good news about the injured cyclist. While any back injury is worrying, hopefully he will make a full recovery before too long.

On a separate thread, I asked the question "what makes a great sportif?" I didn't get a whole lot of answers but you have now summed it up in a few paragraphs. Hopefully others organising events will see this and learn from it. CI, with their (possible) new interest in leisure cycling could also adopt it as the standard for sportives. You did leave out one thing though - no tacky jerseys but a well designed medal that people will actually want to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Thud wrote: »
    Didn't make the Reservoir Dog this year but came down Cunard yesterday, the amount of crap dumped on it is shocking, think there was 3 kids bikes dumped on the side along with some building waste

Smacl and I noted that those might have been back up steeds for the living truism powering up the hills on a Carrera TDF!

#it'snotthebike

Ps: I think we also came up with the Dog's new tagline: "Onwards and upwards...but mostly upwards"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

You did leave out one thing though - no tacky jerseys but an exceptionally well designed medal that people will actually want to have.

FYP :) The bottle of cold beer on the lawn of Russborough House at the end was a real Carlsberg moment. Pure class throughout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Didn't make the Reservoir Dog this year but came down Cunard yesterday, the amount of crap dumped on it is shocking, think there was 3 kids bikes dumped on the side along with some building waste

I was thinking of swapping to one of those for some lower gearing....

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Davyation

It's great to hear that the injured guy should make a full recovery.
    Great Sportif! Although my legs wouldn't agree.... Really well marshalled, great food stop, really challenging route, lovely medal. I was also very close to taking one of the kids bike on Cunard - my 42x23 was killing me!
    I'll definitely be back next year (with lower gears)! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Davyation wrote: »
    ...on Cunard - my 42x23 was killing me!....
    Cunard on a 42/23! Fcukin hell! :eek:

I thought those that do it in a 39/25 were impressive. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

For what it's worth, today there were clean up crews all around the Cunard climb, and more importantly the Piperstown climb (straight out of Bohernabreena)

The amount of tyres they had to pick up was unreal. We're taking into the 100's. Maybe even a couple of hundred. Shocking tbh :/

That aside, my missus was very impressed with my Culchie driving skillz, which allowed me to drive my car half way up a hedge to let a lorry past.

We have to do that sh1t a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

Cunard on a 42/23! Fcukin hell! :eek:

I thought those that do it in a 39/25 were impressive. :)

Many moons ago I went , struggled ,up it on a 42/19 also did W200 that year too. Set up was 52/42 and an 8 speed straight 12 to 19. Still have that same bike but changed the cassette to a 12 to 25.
    The second bike is more appropriately set up 50/34 and a 10 speed 12 to 28 I think ! Must actually check it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Two other huge pluses I forgot to mention earlier and should have.

The free parking organised at Russoborough House. I love that place so I've no problem that theyve recently started to charge for parking cos they need the money, but a great touch to have free parking sorted for participants.
    And the bike marshalls are superb and give bikers a good name. I should really have recognised this as its close to my heart being a biker of many years myself. They are very professional and really take pride in what they do. Hats off lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 staberinde

This was my first sportive and I enjoyed it very much! Many thanks to the Reservoir Cogs for putting all the work in to make this such a well organised event. Hope to return next year.

And a speedy recovery to the lad who crashed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

So, any pics? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I think I'll be making this one of my targets for next year! Sounds painful but enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

One of the photographers had their pics up via the Reservoir Cogs FB on Sunday night. Wasn't a folder as such but if you clicked on a picture in the timeline you could scroll through them all

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

Crocked wrote: »
    One of the photographers had their pics up via the Reservoir Cogs FB on Sunday night. Wasn't a folder as such but if you clicked on a picture in the timeline you could scroll through them all

Are these the Photos? They are now more visible on the page; https://www.facebook.com/tom.horan.184/media_set?set=a.1188357934568108.1073741844.100001817387961&type=1&l=3193cb943d&__mref=message_bubble

A much bigger folder of high quality photos (mostly taken on the 125 km route was published to our clubs' closed FB group tonight and will be available to all on the public FB site tomorrow. I'll post the link here when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

That link doesn't work Corker but the photographers name looks the same alright

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mgbgt0_0

Pictures of the Reservoir Dog 2016
    Feel free to use and share
    Full res images on request
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133249831@N04/albums/72157672463363921

Both links working for me but they're here too https://www.facebook.com/ReservoirCogsCC/

Great photos Derek & Tom, many thanks. Like everything to do with this event, they are top class :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

Both links working for me but they're here too https://www.facebook.com/ReservoirCogsCC/

Great photos Derek & Tom, many thanks. Like everything to do with this event, they are top class :)

Nice to put a face on a name ... what photo no are you ? Don't have to pick a " face with pain all over it " one or a "walk of shame " one.
    Had a look at them on flickr last night, savage amount and quality shots...fair dues to the tog.

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    Nice to put a face on a name ... what photo no are you ? Don't have to pick a " face with pain all over it " one or a "walk of shame " one.
    Had a look at them on flickr last night, savage amount and quality shots...fair dues to the tog.

Posted one of the photos over on Tell Us About Your Cycle. You may have seen it there.

Advertisement