Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Summer Sale 2016 - Speculation and Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

So what's the verdict on Mount & Blade? Does anybody have it?

It's a great game but don't expect a witcher 3 esque rpg, it's more of a sandbox than a story driven rpg.

The game's draw is from the combat, hugely satisfying mechanics from charging at people with your lance on horseback to getting a long distance headshot with your bow.

Get mount and blade warband instead though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

So what's the verdict on Mount & Blade? Does anybody have it?

Get Warband, install a Clash of Kings mod, sit back and slowly take over Westeros.

Its got crap graphics and no story but damn is it fun to fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Still only bought Invisible Inc. and just deleted a bunch of stuff off my wishlist.

Must be getting testy in my old age :( Nothing is catching my eye at all that i didn't already buy for half nothing on a key reseller site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm getting my way through Final Fantasy XIII at the moment, so I'm think I'm going to pick up FF13-3: Lightning Returns, as well as Transformers Devastation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Ooh Stranded Deep is on sale. I think I'll get that instead of Darkest Dungeon.
    Iv'e had my eye on that one too for a while...

Get mount and blade warband instead though.
    Get Warband, install a Clash of Kings mod, sit back and slowly take over Westeros.

Cheers lads, if i get any it'll probably be the first. I'm kind of weird in that i like to play my way up through the games as they were made. :o

Since they got rid of the Daily deals and flash sails I find myself chopping and changing my wishlist but not actually pulling the trigger on anything until the last day or so.

Cheers lads, if i get any it'll probably be the first. I'm kind of weird in that i like to play my way up through the games as they were made. :o

Since they got rid of the Daily deals and flash sails I find myself chopping and changing my wishlist but not actually pulling the trigger on anything until the last day or so.

It's not the kind of game that matters, that' like not playing Skyrim because you haven't played Daggerfell or Arena, but your call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Did I mention Vermintide is 50% off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Links234 wrote: »
    Did I mention Vermintide is 50% off?

I wanted to play this, but I read that it's mostly co-op and noone is playing these days :(

Is it worth getting if you've noone to play with ?

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I wanted to play this, but I read that it's mostly co-op and noone is playing these days :(

Is it worth getting if you've noone to play with ?

It's completely co-op, multiplayer only. But there's far from nobody playing it, and there's actually a steady uptick in players since the Drachenfels DLC was released, as it added 3 new maps. The developers are still supporting it, and adding new content, there's a new quests system coming soon, but I don't know what that's about. I never have a problem finding lobbies, or people to join if I start them. The other thing is, it's a 4-player game, so even if there's not a huge playerbase, it's not like they need to fill 64 player maps or the like for it to be playable.

It is worth getting if you don't have friends who play, because it's fairly easy to join randomers, and if you want to join me and some other friends who play, the more the merrier. ;) But just be aware, it is a multiplayer only experience, the only form of single player in the game is with bots, which aren't the worst but aren't ideal either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dair76 wrote: »
    Total Biscuit put up a video with his top twenty picks from the sale. Might give you a few ideas.

Thanks for that.Agree on his views of the flash sales, even though they were sometimes awesome.

Have added Brutal Legend" to my wishlist, but not sure if I'll get it or not.

Also added "Mark of the Ninja" to my wishlist, and I do say I'll buy it, as it looks awesome!

Adding stuff tot he wishlist, so on the 4th, I can say that I'll get X, Y, and Z for whatever cash. Best way to avoid myself getting drained of cash over the next week or so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

the_syco wrote: »
    Thanks for that.Agree on his views of the flash sales, even though they were sometimes awesome.

Also added "Mark of the Ninja" to my wishlist, and I do say I'll buy it, as it looks awesome!

Adding stuff tot he wishlist, so on the 4th, I can say that I'll get X, Y, and Z for whatever cash. Best way to avoid myself getting drained of cash over the next week or so!

Pretty sure Mark of the Ninja has been in a humble bundle before which means you should be fit to get it much cheaper on a key sale site although you would get it for free doing a few tasks on tremorgames... I'll have a look at my tremor if I can get enough coins I'll give you a key for free when it comes in...

EDIT: Turns out its sold out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 RianF2

Managed to convince my girlfriend to get steam purely based on the sales.

Struggling to find games to play considering I barely finish a game anymore :(

The new steam sale system is pretty disappointing. It seems that 99% of games have had far larger discounts in the past and thus I'm unlikely to make an impulse buy as I don't feel I'm getting good value.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Ooh Stranded Deep is on sale. I think I'll get that instead of Darkest Dungeon.

Have a look at The Long Dark if you haven't already, 66% off. Early Access survival game set in some snowy wilderness. Very atmospheric. No zombies either, Nature can kill you easy enough on her own. :)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Have a look at The Long Dark if you haven't already, 66% off. Early Access survival game set in some snowy wilderness. Very atmospheric. No zombies either, Nature can kill you easy enough on her own. :)

Yeah, i'm looking at that one too, as well as "The Forest". Just a bit worried they might play a bit samey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

the_syco wrote: »

Yeah thanks for the link here too. Kind of what I was looking for, games from days gone by I'd forgotten and probably now on a good sale.

I have that LOTR game on PS4 but never played it, might just pickup on Pc. Along with a good few there that seem to be "ah I remember people recommending that".

Age of Empires II is one I heard a lot about that I never played, so might give that a whirl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 RianF2

Anyone picked up DOOM or nah? I'm stuck trying to find a shooter thats not CoD.

RianF2 wrote: »

Maybe S.T.A.L.K.E.R? it's about as far from COD as a modern shooter can get...not for everyone though.

• Advertisement

Maybe S.T.A.L.K.E.R? it's about as far from COD as a modern shooter can get...not for everyone though.

That's saying something :D

Multiplayer or fps in general

I'm stuck trying to find a shooter thats not CoD.

Have you played Wolfenstein: The New Order yet?

That's saying something :D

Multiplayer or fps in general

It has multiplayer but iv'e never played it so really can't say anything about it.
    The single player has great ballistics and borrows a lot from survival horror and uses an RPG-esq inventory management without falling into either genera. The game itself is very atmospheric, hard as balls (even so far that the developers reputedly nerfed the AI to make it easier) and highly modable (but also a bit buggy)

It has multiplayer but iv'e never played it so really can't say anything about it.
    The single player has great ballistics and borrows a lot from survival horror and uses an RPG-esq inventory management without falling into either genera. The game itself is very atmospheric, hard as balls (even so far that the developers reputedly nerfed the AI to make it easier) and highly modable (but also a bit buggy)

That was meant for the other guy sorry, I've played Stalker SoC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Civ V Complete for €2 is ridiculous value, I've put 340 hours into it over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

ShaneU wrote: »
    Civ V Complete for €2 is ridiculous value

€11.26 actually. It's showing less because the complete edition was updated to use Steam's new bundling system, so €2 is the cost for you to buy whatever's missing from the collection at the bundle discount price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

TheChrisD wrote: »
    €11.26 actually. It's showing less because the complete edition was updated to use Steam's new bundling system, so €2 is the cost for you to buy whatever's missing from the collection at the bundle discount price.
    Ah I was wondering why it was so cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I miss the old format of the steam sales (Daily Deals etc.) - logging in at 6 to see what's new etc.

It's hard to imagine that the current format makes any more money for them than the old one did (I doubt it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

TheDoc wrote: »
    Age of Empires II is one I heard a lot about that I never played, so might give that a whirl.
    It's a really fun game, that once you get the hang of, you'll find fun. One thing I'll say is that to read into each countries "special technological ability" before playing multiplayer. It's also a great multiplayer game.
    Get the Wolfenstein The New Order, and either play sneaky sneaky, or all out guns blazing.

Mr E wrote: »
    I miss the old format of the steam sales (Daily Deals etc.) - logging in at 6 to see what's new etc.

It's hard to imagine that the current format makes any more money for them than the old one did (I doubt it).

Well it was a big success for the winter sale so unfortunately I can't see them reverting to to the old sale format.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-01-12-steams-sale-changes-were-a-huge-success

Mr E wrote: »

While I do miss it, I honestly wouldn't want to go back to it. Remember staying up until 2AM to check the flash deals and vote on the community choice so you could get a trading card? It was kinda exciting and all, but it probably lead me to making some purchases that in hindsight I wouldn't have, or would have waited on. Between the new model, and Steam refunds, I feel like the sale is a lot more consumer friendly, even if it is less exciting. I mean, I've got a new Humble Monthly coming in on Friday, I can afford to wait until the end of the sale now before having to decide to buy something, where before I could've missed a big discount because I wasn't in time for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Links234 wrote: »
    While I do miss it, I honestly wouldn't want to go back to it. Remember staying up until 2AM to check the flash deals and vote on the community choice so you could get a trading card? It was kinda exciting and all, but it probably lead me to making some purchases that in hindsight I wouldn't have, or would have waited on. Between the new model, and Steam refunds, I feel like the sale is a lot more consumer friendly, even if it is less exciting. I mean, I've got a new Humble Monthly coming in on Friday, I can afford to wait until the end of the sale now before having to decide to buy something, where before I could've missed a big discount because I wasn't in time for it.

i would welcome it back i loved the excitement of it

made my first purchase so far

pickup up life is strange episode 1-5

have been eyeing it for ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Eyeing up darkest dungeons and sunless sea, nothing else grabbing attention yet

11 Games - 57cent

5.7cent per game

http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/833/

Not sure how many have Trading Cards but I am sure it will pay for itself :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

dunworth1 wrote: »
    made my first purchase so far

pickup up life is strange episode 1-5

have been eyeing it for ages

My GOTY 2015 by far. Quite unlike anything else i'd played in 20+ years.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Eyeing up darkest dungeons and sunless sea, nothing else grabbing attention yet

I can say that both are incredible, though to my shame I have not played much of Sunless Sea yet. Darkest Dungeon has an incredible narrator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

11 Games - 57cent

5.7cent per game

http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/833/

Not sure how many have Trading Cards but I am sure it will pay for itself :p

Ha it's only 49cent for me because I already own one :p

lawlolawl wrote: »
    My GOTY 2015 by far. Quite unlike anything else i'd played in 20+ years.

will hopefully start it tomorrow evening

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Yeah it's good the way they give bigger discounts now if you own any of the items...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Ha! it's only 0.3c for me as I own 10 of them...oh!

• Advertisement

Is there any game you don't own?! :pac:

I've got a pretty good haul so far:

Party Hard
    Steamworld Heist: The Outsider DLC
    Shrouded in Sanity
    Darkmaus
    Whispering Willows
    Papers Please

I'm super happy because most of this is stuff I traded for, like for example a friend wanted Oddworld New and Tasty, so gifted me Darkmaus for it. It's been a great way to snap up some cheaper indie titles. Huge thumbs up to the folks who traded with me, you're awesome! :D Hopefully I might manage to trade for The Swindle or Dex before the end of the sale.

Steam Controller purchased, I am going to regret lashing €51.79 out on that..

Low and behold the shipping cost doesn't count towards the money for getting card drops so only got 4 instead of about 6 card drops...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Made my first purchase yesterday of Civ: Beyond Earth along with the Exoplanets and Rising Tide DLCs. Naturally, because I'm a fupping idiot, I started a game and suddenly it was 2am... So it's definitely a Civ game :)

Party Hard and Battlefield Bad Company 2 added to the collection.. Now €6 left, will probably purchase The Escapists...

Has anyone played Dominions 3 or 4? It looks like it might be my kind of game but the 454 page manual is a bit daunting.

So, one game I'm kinda tempted by is this:

But then I noticed that you can get the previous one, Momodora III for €0.99, and then I found that the dev has the first two on Itch.io for free, so I might try those first. Revier Under the Moonlight is meant to be amazing, and the most accomplished of the series, but I'm curious about the previous ones, and I could afford the third one with the money I made from trading card sales already.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Thanks to the sale my rounded games of 500 is now 503. My OCD is kicking in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Thanks to the sale my rounded games of 500 is now 503.

Gonna be one long weekend to complete em all :pac:

• Advertisement

Aaaaaaaand I managed to snag Alien Isolation! :D

Advertisement