Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plastic or weed suppressant fabric?

Options
  • 09-06-2016 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We're doing some work in the garden at the moment. I plan on moving the veg beds and putting a gravel pathway around them in their new location. I also intend on making one area primarily gravel so that we don't have any small bits of lawn to cut. This area will be sort of a 'back' area of the garden.
    I'm wondering if id be better off using heavy duty plastic or a weed suppressant fabric down prior to the gravel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The only thing I've seen is that with the plastic the rain runs off immediately. If the slope is somewhere water doesn't gather then it won't matter. But I've seen instances where the water is collected by the plastic and deposited into a low spot in a lawn flooding it every time there is heavy rain. The weed membranes let the water down through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭DX85

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Weed barrier fabric will do the job but you will still have maintenance as last poster says weeds will grow on top of the gravel. http://www.thegardenshop.ie/weed-control-fabric/ this is decent enough value IMO for weed fabric gonna be putting a bed in soon and will use this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Thanks guys! Not worried about the weeds, for me that's just normal maintenance. Want to put down the gravel so that we've less crappy bits of lawn to be cutting/strimming.

It's drainage mainly i was worried about regarding which works better, and then obviously cost. I must measure up exactly how much area I'd have to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Cardboard ! It's what I use everywhere.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

scarepanda wrote: »
    Thanks guys! Not worried about the weeds, for me that's just normal maintenance. Want to put down the gravel so that we've less crappy bits of lawn to be cutting/strimming.

It's drainage mainly i was worried about regarding which works better, and then obviously cost. I must measure up exactly how much area I'd have to cover.

The thing to remember about putting down gravel is that you just cant turn your back on it..

I run over ours in the spring and pull any larger weeds by hand and rake off leaves as there are large trees overhanging, then again when growth has started with roundup being careful to avoid shrubs and flowers..

Advertisement