Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

I just finished watching this and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I hadn't heard much of the hype so I didn't go in with high expections. Shows like this hang on the child leads and they were all supurb. I liked the little twist they did with the Steve character. Winona Ryder grated on me though and by the end I struggled to get through her scenes. The original soundtrack was great too.

I'm not sure a season 2 is needed, but it's almost inevitable now given how successful it has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Binged it in one day :pac:

Thought it was entertaining and well-made but since it's been a few days I've had time to process it. I liked it but I don't think it quite lived up to the hype for me, a lot of unsurprising cliches and characters doing very obvious things in order to move the plot or sloppily create suspense.

Definitely wore it's references on it's sleeve with an endless amount of movie posters strewn around backgrounds and pretty much recreating scenes from a lot of them, sometimes to a fault as some were too on the nose to where you could tell how the scene was going to play out.

The kids were very good and they definitely helped with carrying that feeling of that era of movies, a far better job than Super 8. Was also good to see Ryder again in a prominent role, too.

While I don't think it matched it's hype, it's definitely one of the better shows this year. Look forward to season 2 and hope they show more of the parallel world.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Isn't it funny that people cant calm their expectations based on hype? I am talking about all of us, not pointing fingers.

I really enjoyed it but I saw it when it just came out, before the hype. Most of the gripes people have are irrelevant nitpicking IMO.

I haven't watched a TV show that was as enjoyable in some time, particularly one that is purely about FUN entertainment. The score, the characters, the children (really hard to get good child actors, let alone believable friends), the 80s theme and the sinister elements. . Seriously, what's not to love. .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Love the way Nancy is a nod to the Nancy character in Nightmare on Elm street. Also, Choppers police uniform and police car are a nod to Schneiders character in Jaws.

Excellent

657a55d2-6bfa-45c9-93ec-6e1b84581129.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Drumpot wrote: »
    Isn't it funny that people cant calm their expectations based on hype? I am talking about all of us, not pointing fingers.

I barely knew anything about this show other than seeing it pop up in headlines and thread titles on Reddit and having a vague idea that it was set in the 80's.

After watching it I went and read through all that stuff to see other people's thoughts and discussions, I can understand how people could have the hype built up for them based on the reactions for this specific show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Drumpot wrote: »

I really enjoyed it but I saw it when it just came out, before the hype. Most of the gripes people have are irrelevant nitpicking IMO.

I haven't watched a TV show that was as enjoyable in some time, particularly one that is purely about FUN entertainment. The score, the characters, the children (really hard to get good child actors, let alone believable friends), the 80s theme and the sinister elements. . Seriously, what's not to love. .
    Like yourself, plenty of people watched the series as soon as it was released so their expectations haven't been affected by hype.

Suggesting that legitimate criticism is no more than nitpicking is going to fuel the flames though.

The fact is that there's plenty not to love for many viewers.

^^^

Along with E.T., the most obvious comparison I would have thought.

The creature pushing the wall out reminded me of the scene in Ghostbusters were the demon dog claws are pushing against the kitchen door. But it is a nod to Freddie Krueger which I get too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,878 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere but the score is being released this Friday..

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/08/the-soundtrack-to-stranger-things-is-being-released-this-friday/

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Noise Annoys

Just finished episode 7 but I've sort of lost interest. The story has run out of legs and it just seems to be an '80s homage (Spielberg, 'Poltergeist', Stephen King, ET etc.) with a standard 'secret government programme'/'scary monster' arc.

And Winona Ryder is a terrible ham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I get when some genres do not appeal to people or even Marmite shows like Left Behind ,Mr Robot and Curb can split an audience , but I am very surprised when people who appear to appreciate the specific genres but slag off really incredibly well made TV shows like Game Of Thrones or Stranger Things.I am left to wonder what possible show in the genre can you like , Do you just not enjoy any shows ?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Just finished watching. Thought it was brilliant. Really suprised by the negativity by previous posters. The child actors were excellent. Got some good laughs out of them. Every episode flew by.

On Ep 7...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

py2006 wrote: »
    On Ep 7...

Good luck!

Slydice wrote: »
    Good luck!

8 now...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I get when some genres do not appeal to people or even Marmite shows like Left Behind ,Mr Robot and Curb can split an audience , but I am very surprised when people who appear to appreciate the specific genres but slag off really incredibly well made TV shows like Game Of Thrones or Stranger Things.I am left to wonder what possible show in the genre can you like , Do you just not enjoy any shows ?
    Slag off? Seriously? I don't think anyone has torn into the show. A few posters have given pretty valid reasons as to why they feel the show just didn't deliver but get labelled as nit pickers or its assumed they don't like any genre stuff and are just being awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Watched first 3 episodes last night ... was meant to only watch 1 .. would have continued if more were available :)

Great show ..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Finally getting through this. Absolutely amazing show! I already want three more seasons!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Very belated thoughts on this, having finished it a week or two ago now, and that was definitely a TV highlight of 2016 for me. It tweaked certain tropes without ever completely smashing them & yes it was unapologetically riffing off many genre classics from the 80s, but when it's all put together with this amount of charm, energy and natural chemistry it makes for something very special indeed.

I think though were the child actors not perfect the whole thing would have collapsed and been forgotten pretty quickly. The kids who played 11, Dustin, Mike, Will and Lucas deserve so much praise; like the best TV and films that 'get' the mindset and perspective of children that age, the group behaved so organically you'd swear they were actual friends in reality & we were just looking in on their lives. The script let them all act like kids, not act like adults thinking that's how kids behave.

I'm going to go against the grain here and think that if there was to be a series 2, Stranger Things should go the anthology route and tell a different, if related, story. Those 8 episodes were so beautifully balanced and executed it'd only disappoint to return to that very specific well again.

The kids are a bit more grown up looking now. If a 2nd series goes ahead it will be 2017 before it hits Netflix. Nothing wrong with that I guess but some of the charm of may be lost?

Really enjoyed it. It is a pity there wasn't a few more episodes.

The scene were
    11 arrived walking angrily towards the bullies just after rescuing your man (name escapes me) from jumping to the ravine reminds me of the T1000 in Terminator 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,878 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Score has appeared on iTunes / Apple Music.. no sign on Spotify yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

It's on YouTube alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

So the cop was leaving food for 11 then ?
    for a second I thought he was leaving food for a baby monster, since there was an egg somewhere shown ..

So the cop was leaving food for 11 then ?
    for a second I thought he was leaving food for a baby monster, since there was an egg somewhere shown ..
    Well I sure hope he was now!!! Especially if that's the alternative
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Finished this last night.

Absolute top quality television, the soundtrack, pacing and episode length where all spot on, roll on season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Finished this last night. I would never usually be a sci-fi fan but absolutely loved this show. The kids were fantastic, especially Eleven. I shed a tear at the end. Fantastic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Isn't it crazy that at that point shoplifting lost Ryder so much, yet working actors have done much worse than that now?

There's probably more to her not working much in the naughties than the shoplifting case truth be told.

I mowed my way through this over the weekend and can't add much more than what's been said.

Millie Bobby Brown, David Harbour and Gaten Matarazzo deserve particular praise while the score and atmosphere were intoxicating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Finished this with the missus last night.

Enjoyed it, the 5 kids were just brilliant and I really liked Hop too.

It was a massive nostalgia overload, little things like having posters for Evil Dead and The Thing in the background.

The walkie talkies, He Man on the TV, the way the boys interacted with each other, it all seemed so real, so natural.

The only thing I didn't like was the ending.

I don't know what it was but it just left me feeling quite disappointed, my wife the same.

• Advertisement

Don't laugh...it's not perfect! :-p

stranger%20things.png

Advertisement