Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Joeface

OK so I finished it , 2 sittings . It would have been one sitting for all if it hadn't been for that pesky work thing.

What do I watch now to get that feeling.
    That was wonderful . nostalgia galore , and it very well executed in its own right .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

So the cop was leaving food for 11 then ?
    for a second I thought he was leaving food for a baby monster, since there was an egg somewhere shown ..
    He was leaving food for 11, he left waffles (i think it was waffles), and it was mentioned in an earlier episode that she loved them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Just finished it last night.

Although I thought it was good, cant say it has a re-watch factor. Production value and score are executed brilliantly but looking past the very original 80’s look and feel to the show the story was quite predictable. The majority of the audience could tell where it was going and although it was done really really well I was never shocked or surprised. Maybe that’s a bit harsh but tis how I feel.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I think those that saw it before the 'buzz' and 'hype' probably enjoyed it a bit more than those that heard how good it was and to try it. I watched it when it came out first and loved it and think it was scoring 9.3 or 9.4 on IMDB at that time. Its dropped to 9.1 there so seems to have lost traction as more seen it, either because they didn't enjoy it as much or the hype ruined it. (if that makes sense)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just finished it last night.

Although I thought it was good, cant say it has a re-watch factor. Production value and score are executed brilliantly but looking past the very original 80’s look and feel to the show the story was quite predictable. The majority of the audience could tell where it was going and although it was done really really well I was never shocked or surprised. Maybe that’s a bit harsh but tis how I feel.

Plot wise I'd agree it was a standard enough narrative, though would be hesitant about anyone speaking for 'the majority of the audience', and I'm not sure that's always the worst complaint about a show in any case. If the writing is solid & the drama kept bubbling over, even the most cliché of plots work fine. Unpredictability is sometimes a polite way of saying 'the writers don't really know where they're going'.

In terms of characterisation though, I really liked how it inverted some tropes here and there & without too much fuss: most notably the arc revolving around Steve and Nancy. The obvious, and somewhat telegraphed narrative was that
    Nancy would dump douchebag Steve and hook up with the introverted Jonathan. Inner beauty blah blah etc. But the show neatly & quietly subverted this, first by making Jonathan a little bit of a creepy stalker, while letting Steve grow & realise what an ass he had become - in fact he saved the day at the cabin near the end.
    . So while the show didn't break the mould, it played with tropes and clichés enough to make things interesting and different.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

pixelburp wrote: »
    Plot wise I'd agree it was a standard enough narrative, though would be hesitant about anyone speaking for 'the majority of the audience', and I'm not sure that's always the worst complaint about a show in any case. If the writing is solid & the drama kept bubbling over, even the most cliché of plots work fine. Unpredictability is sometimes a polite way of saying 'the writers don't really know where they're going'.

Yeah, knowing where something is going is a common occurrence in TV/films, especially in particular genres. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's how the show gets you there that matters, for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

pc7 wrote: »
    I think those that saw it before the 'buzz' and 'hype' probably enjoyed it a bit more than those that heard how good it was and to try it. I watched it when it came out first and loved it and think it was scoring 9.3 or 9.4 on IMDB at that time. Its dropped to 9.1 there so seems to have lost traction as more seen it, either because they didn't enjoy it as much or the hype ruined it. (if that makes sense)
    Not everyone who mildy likes the show should have to face accusations of letting hype tarnish their opinion. I saw it when it first came out and had a very similar reaction to the above review.

Every luke warm review on this thread seems to be followed by the obligatory "that's probably because it was too hyped" comment these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I enjoyed it. It was a fresh change of entertainment compared to everything else that comes out. I'd be interested to see how it develops if it was to continue, but for the ultimate sense of suspense I think the ending nailed it right on.

I don't need a season 2, I need something else similar to it that'll captivate, excitement, imagination and thrill.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

S.M.B. wrote: »

Every luke warm review on this thread seems to be followed by the obligatory "that's probably because it was too hyped" comment these days.

It wasn't meant as a critisim or that, just I watched the show and hadn't a clue what it was going to be about. But when I told others about it I was all 'its set in the 80's, done so well, homage to Stephen King, ET etc.' so they had some idea what to expect, add to all the internet buzz I would have just thought it took some of the 'fun' of finding the show out of it. Also the fact the IMDB dropped the more it was pushed online (if that makes sense). Of course people aren't going to like it, but I've friends who love sci fi and that genre and weren't as excited by it as me, but maybe I ruined it for them with my excitement, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

It was not for me. Ryder roaring and screeching did my head in

• Advertisement

smilerf wrote: »
    It was not for me. Ryder roaring and screeching did my head in

I've always found Ryder a bit.... frantic? She did dial it down a bit as the episodes went on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Just finished this. Justice for Barb! :o

Good show, the high point definitely being the performances of the kids. Winona Ryder on the other hand is just plain annoying. Will watch season two - good show, but not mindblowing is how I'd describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

...creators Matt and Ross Duffer first revealed Season 2 will take place in 1984, which is one year after Season 1. Regarding the story, Matt Duffer said Season 2 will be "a little darker and weirder," going on to say that he's sure many people will prefer the first season. At the same time, he expects a big group of people to enjoy the second season better.
    Having already established the world and some of its characters and creatures gives the Duffers "a license to go a little weirder" for Season 2. Additionally, Season 2 will have more visual effects.

Overall, Matt Duffer said he thinks Stranger Things Season 2 will be like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, which came out in 1984.

"I love that it gets a little darker and weirder from Raiders of the Lost Ark, I like that it feels very different than Raiders did," he explained. "Even though it was probably slammed at the time, obviously now people look back on it fondly, but it messed up a lot of kids, and I love that about that film, that it really traumatized some children. Not saying that we want to traumatize children, just that we want to get a little darker and weirder."
    Season 2 might not be Stranger Thing's last, either. Matt Duffer said that he doesn't anticipate the show stretching on very long. "It's impossible for me to imagine a six- or seven-season series," he said.

Kind of dissapointing to hear the creaters say many people will prefer first season. But I guess its always the way. More here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

py2006 wrote: »
    Kind of dissapointing to hear the creaters say many people will prefer first season. But I guess its always the way. More here

I think they're just being realistic. I'd say the creators of most series hope that their audience likes every new thing they come up with, but very often the public ends up preferring the first season regardless (or some other standout season, if the show is more of a grower).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Really enjoyed this. It was a nostalgia fest alright but had so much more going for it too. Loved the way it was shot, almost comic book style and the music was just immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Ah ya beat me to it! grrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I'll probably be in the minority here, but as someone mentioned it above, but I'd like series two to be based on a different story. I'd be happy to think that most of the loose ends from the original season are tied up (not including the last scene, which could have been excluded), and they really could leave that story alone.

I think the original season was wonderful, but I've a feeling that a second season could ruin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

http://makeitstranger.com

This is pretty cool :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

remove the extra space inside your youtube tags

The more I see 11 being interviewed the more annoying she gets.

The more I see 11 being interviewed the more annoying she gets.

I don't watch any of the interviews, for that very reason. Kids are annoying, talented actors or not. Also I quite like the idea of them just being their Stranger Things characters for the moment, not real people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I don't watch any of the interviews, for that very reason. Kids are annoying, talented actors or not. Also I quite like the idea of them just being their Stranger Things characters for the moment, not real people.

I'm the same, I also try to avoid trailers, and read very little reviews on anything I plan on seeing,

I'm the same, I also try to avoid trailers, and read very little reviews on anything I plan on seeing,

With a film I don't mind looking at stuff after but with TV shows I prefer to keep the actors in my head as their characters, not their real selves.

Bit of a tangent but I think that's part of the appeal of all these foreign subtitled shows at the moment. If you watch BBC, or RTE, or even a lot of the US networks, the same faces keep popping up over and over. Even if someone is a fantastic actor it sometimes gets a bit difficult to see them as a different character.

I think that was something that the Duffers tried to avoid when casting Stranger Things. Other than Rider and Modine they're all pretty much unknowns and that makes it easier get sucked in to their world and invested in their characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

We're going to start watching it tonight. Just watched the trailer...

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Just finished it this evening and this wouldn't usually be something I'd watch but I loved it!
    Poor Mike, what a way to suffer your first heartbreak, eh?

The guy that plays Jonathan does a really good American accent considering he's English!

Advertisement