Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Finished watching Stranger Things tonight. I have to say it was a very evocative teen cult series reminiscent of the 80s era. Everything from the music to the opening credits including the font style used, was expertly done. The four kids and L were torn between humour and horror respectively. The first three episodes set the scene for the supernatural drama to unfold. imaginative merging of fantasy and the supernatural based in suburbia, draws in the viewer engaging and captivating likewise.
    Obvious influences like Stephen King are not overused but instead are like a token appreciation of horror stories we all read as teenagers. Kudos to the minds behind this subliminal time piece of television, it just shows that ideas are still being thought out and this Golden Era of television box sets is still alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Lots of spoilers:

Amusing (some spoilers)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,878 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Basq wrote: »
    Although, I can't be the only one who thinks of this lad every time Steve is on screen:

JeanRalphio.png

"Flu-hushed with ca-hash!"
    Finally

The kids, who you can't escape from at the minute, are on Jonathan Ross's show this Saturday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I hope they don't get carried away with all this attention. Hopefully they will go on to have great careers but it could all die down in a couple years and that's were a lot of child stars have gone off the rails.

py2006 wrote: »
    I hope they don't get carried away with all this attention. Hopefully they will go on to have great careers but it could all die down in a couple years and that's were a lot of child stars have gone off the rails.
    Gotta be honest.. I'm a bit tired of seeing them already..

.. they're good fun and all but all this exposure is too much!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

py2006 wrote: »

Yeah, I've been ignoring everything they've done, bar that one sketch where Barb came back.

As long as it doesn't effect their performances they can do what they like, I guess. Season 1 was made so completely in a bubble and Season 2 was always going to be a different thing but with this much exposure and attention it's going to be the complete opposite. I guess the important thing is that the creative forces behind it aren't spending every waking moment on TV or talking to the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

:)

Documents Reveal Stranger Things Really Freaked Out the Department of Energy
    http://gizmodo.com/documents-reveal-stranger-things-really-freaked-out-the-1787500314
    The DoE claims that it
    “doesn’t explore parallel universes”
    and overall tried to downplay its newfound reputation as ground zero for shady science.

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/784056875746725892

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 33,503 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I just thought it was ok, not as great as many are saying.

Maybe a 6 or 7/10.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I just thought it was ok, not as great as many are saying.

Maybe a 6 or 7/10.

You need to have seen it before all the hype and all the take of the setting.

If you'd like a recap prior to season 2 - Old school ;)

[video]

That's a link, using the link TAG [URL] will work or taking away the youtube tags, the link will be found automatically

Here's the link:
    This 8-bit Stranger Things short is everything fans could wish for
    http://thenextweb.com/shareables/2016/10/06/stranger-things-8-bit/

Here's the video from that article on youtube:
    [/url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcYaLqEA4cM

• Registered Users Posts: 55,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Jesus SNL...

.. talk about cramming every single racial stereotype down our throats!

I honestly don't know how that crap is still on the air..

Does these 'comedians' ever rehearse their lines? They are constantly looking off camera to double check what they need to say next.

SNL is something I never understood, it is as if the american public are humouring them by saying its funny.

Having said that, I did smile at the Winona Ryder character when she came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Well finally binged on this over the last 3 days and it was fantastic Tv brought me right back to my childhood in the 80's and the movies I grew up with! The only slight criticism I would have would be sometimes the movie references would take me out of the moment, for example burning the monster in the hallway and putting it out with the fire extinguisher I kind of went hey that's just like the Thing or the Alien Type egg in the upside down world! I hope they tone that back a bit in season 2! I just really hope season 2 can be as strong as Season 1 but that's going to be a tall order as this is as near to perfect you can get for a Show!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Jesus SNL...

Leslie Jones

• Advertisement

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but according to the link below Stranger Things was already renewed by Netflix before it even premiered. The good thing about that is that they had been writing for S2 long before S1 aired which hopefully means there's less chance of the success of S1 influencing how it's written.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/stranger-things/news/a810969/stranger-things-renewed-before-first-season-came-out-netflix-lies/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Jesus SNL...

Are you what we might call an SJW?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Can we talk about what happens in this 'spoiler free' now or is that a no-no.... I've but one question but will hold off until I know it's OK to ask...

BTW, very let down, very much over-hyped series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Can we talk about what happens in this 'spoiler free' now or is that a no-no.... I've but one question but will hold off until I know it's OK to ask...

BTW, very let down, very much over-hyped series
    Honestly n
    o offence but i beg to differ!

shedweller wrote: »
    Honestly n
    o offence but i beg to differ!

Any chance you could answer the question I posed whilst begging ;-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

At this stage the show has been talked about and loved so much, anyone fresh to it is only going to be disappointed: nothing ever holds up to mass hype & Stranger Things is no exception.

As for spoilers, that's a question for mods.

Any chance you could answer the question I posed whilst begging ;-)

Why not just ask your question behind spoiler tags anyway? Could have had it answered by now that way.

Why not just ask your question behind spoiler tags anyway? Could have had it answered by now that way.

Lot of effort though....

Lot of effort though....

More effort than 3 posts over the space of a day and still not getting an answer. Okay.

• Advertisement

More effort than 3 posts over the space of a day and still not getting an answer. Okay.

Well if the question was answered there wouldn't be 3 posts.....

Advertisement