Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

20690429_986663711473312_1570536093769303840_o.jpg?oh=6b21425225051059da257a063bef40b5&oe=5A21CD9C

• Registered Users Posts: 60,555 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 3 confirmed.
    The brothers have confirmed that the series will get a third season and possibly a fourth to end the series on. That’s a nice even number and since season 2 will lay the groundwork for the show’s ending it means a third season of a brand new story before wrapping up the show. Where the series will go in the future remains a mystery, but the Duffer brothers have a few ideas.

http://screenrant.com/stranger-things-creators-confirm-season-3/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ah here!

Need this show ... like .. Yesterday!

Excitement level:
    426198.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43,878 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Gas.. was just telling someone how cool that Alien-inspired poster is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Only came across this show the other day. Binge watched season 1 and loved it. Roll on season 2.

mzungu wrote: »
    Only came across this show the other day. Binge watched season 1 and loved it. Roll on season 2.

How.....what....where...who...eh...WHAT??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

stranger-things-evil-dead.jpg

I'm loving their promo posters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Stranger-Things-Season-2-Poster.jpg?cs=tinysrgb&q=50&w=729&h=1080&fit=crop

• Advertisement

Would I say this has gotten me excited?

Yes, Yes I would!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I started watching this , think I saw 1st 2 episodes , seemed OK.

So has this been a good series ?

it's decent. has been over-hyped a bit imo. got a lot of press for the 1980's nostalgia vibe. it's worth watching still I would say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

glasso wrote: »
    it's decent. has been over-hyped a bit imo. got a lot of press for the 1980's nostalgia vibe. it's worth watching still I would say.

Nothing ever lives up to the hype - that's kinda the point of hype after all -, but I think it's more than just a nostalgia trip, that's a little unfair: it's a solid thriller that yes, mashes together a bunch of genre staples from the 80s, but does so with a flourish and depth; it tweaked the tropes and clichés of its inspirations enough to not be a shallow pastiche that wallowed in the era. It also lucked out with its cast, and the child actors really gelled with buckets of likeable charisma.

I mean, the 1980s were 30+ years ago: at what point can we stop presuming nostalgia baiting, and just think of it as a drama set in that period? Would 'The Americans' be considered overly nostalgic? If you think of it another way, Indiana Jones took pretty blatant inspiration from old 30s/40s adventure serials, but I'm sure nobody accused it of nostalgia bait at the time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

pixelburp wrote: »
    Nothing ever lives up to the hype - that's kinda the point of hype after all -, but I think it's more than just a nostalgia trip, that's a little unfair: it's a solid thriller that yes, mashes together a bunch of genre staples from the 80s, but does so with a flourish and depth; it tweaked the tropes and clichés of its inspirations enough to not be a shallow pastiche that wallowed in the era. It also lucked out with its cast, and the child actors really gelled with buckets of likeable charisma.

I mean, the 1980s were 30+ years ago: at what point can we stop presuming nostalgia baiting, and just think of it as a drama set in that period? Would 'The Americans' be considered overly nostalgic? If you think of it another way, Indiana Jones took pretty blatant inspiration from old 30s/40s adventure serials, but I'm sure nobody accused it of nostalgia bait at the time ;)

I hadn't thought of it this way before: it's the same length of time from the end of WWII until the first Indiana Jones movie, as it is from that movie to right now. A period piece about the 80s is entirely appropriate in that sense, we just don't want to admit that that's what it is, because then we have to admit we're getting old. So it's just nostalgia.

Also agree about the depth of the show and the willingness to play with generic expectations (the love triangle, for instance)

Baseline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,555 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

New Teaser for the final trailer which is out tomorrow Friday The 13th.

boards games anybody ? hasbro are making them

these-new-stranger-things-board-games-are-perfect-for-a-halloween-night-in-2.jpg?w=1200&h=1&q=90&fit=max&auto=format

or ouija board

these-new-stranger-things-board-games-are-perfect-for-a-halloween-night-in-4.jpg?w=1200&h=1&q=90&fit=max&auto=format

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10/11/stranger-things-monopoly-hasbro/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Final trailer released: more plot-focused than other promotions, albeit through a lot of cuts & edits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I keep forgetting Sean Astin is in the new season!

ShazGV wrote: »
    I keep forgetting Sean Astin is in the new season!

and Paul Reiser

new eleven clip

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Are they overdoing it with the promo stuff? It seems a bit overkill, although I don't normally pay any attention to promo stuff either way so not sure if this is unusual really. Anyway it all looks a bit potentially spoilery so I haven't been looking at any teasers or trailers since the first one. Promo posters have been great, but one or two is plenty, no need to pull the ar$e out of the thing altogether.

^ Yep, definitely. Didn't like the latest trailer (released last Friday)... gave way too much away..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I haven't watched any of the trailers :)

• Advertisement

I think I can forgive Netflix for going a little overboard with the promotions this time around. Season 1 was a viral sleeper hit and then some; arriving on next to no big promos beyond as a new scifi show to keep an ear out, transformed into arguably 2016''s biggest TV hit via a lot of word of mouth & social media. Stands to reason the marketing department would make sure to push this one (especially given some publicised cancellations and flops )

Advertisement