Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

Options

Comments

Loved it all. But I kind of feel like the whole Max/brother story line went nowhere. It wasn't really explained what was happening. And what I loved most again were the cast of kids. Wow. You can tell how much they enjoy each other and also the amount of respect the Duffer Brothers have for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,878 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Jaysis, that shirt is pretty woeful.
    Hitting me where it hurts.. my choice in t-shirts!

tumblr_ls6f4uAUKj1qg3f5uo1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just Finished. It was great!
    Solid story, top performances, good set production and directing.

Yes the first was better but how like.. season one was just pure brilliant!
    The standout here was that this built well on the first season, and didn't take from it and stood out on its own.

After finishing, there's 3 decent checkpoints for planning a binge/multiple viewings:
    - Episodes [1-3]
    - Episodes [4-6]
    - Episodes [7-9]
    That was kinda cool of them. It's like a 9 episode film but can be take in 3 viewings.
    I'd say it's also grand to have breaks after episodes 1,4 and 7.

Story:
    The story was good. The new characters were introduced well. Nostalgia was good. It felt as good as some of season one and I'm looking forward to learning more and seeing the new characters worked out in the coming seasons (3, 4 and 5 wikipedia says). I'm guessing we'll be solidifying the group and learning more about Elevens sister and the conspiracy of Brenner (Papa) and how he's still alive. Oh and I get the feeling there'll be more on Barbara.

The stakes didn't feel as high. The desperation, hopelessness and then redemption right at the end of season one was missing. Like it was still good, just not as much as how the first season didn't let you take a breath.

Earlier after noticing the Aliens and Terminator styles, I wondered where the final episodes would go. In the end, I think I'd say they went Stranger Things style
    :)

Looking ahead:
    Well I guess it'll be 1985:
    Maybe we'll hear: St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_Hot_100_number-one_singles_of_1985
    Maybe it'll have Back to Future in the Cinemas!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_in_the_United_States

Maybe something back on the Cold War as Reagan will have been elected. Maybe something about the Star Wars laser program to replace or be part of the work happening in Hawkins. Who knows!
    :)

Characters:
    The main cast were developed fine. Joyces role felt a bit lessened. What's with Dustin and the swearing? Where's that coming from when no-one else is at it. Might be another story to come.

The new cast were done well. Max did look to be the big intro from the new family but then with Billy getting beat by his Dad, the nod to Breakfast club clicked. I'd say we'll see more of both. Dunno if they're gonna make him a baddie.

The visual effects were good mostly.
    The spiders effect on the punk!

The one place they might have been done better was the demadogs but maybe there was too much of em. VFX can cost a fortune.

I thought the music was decent. You know, it's like one of the few shows I actually wait around and listen to the intro. It's just so.. you know.. relaxing or warming or welcoming or something. What?! Don't look at me like that! :)
    Basq wrote: »
    Sam Hain wrote: »
    Jaysis, that shirt is pretty woeful.
    Hitting me where it hurts.. my choice in t-shirts!
    Ah here, that's a proper looking 80s style t-shirt right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Not a spoiler.

Parody.. also, wait for it :):

An episode and a half into it now..not particularly impressed..the success of season 1 went to their heads I reckon. Just seems like a hodgepodge of scenes slapped together for the sake of nostalgia. And who in God's name had halloween costumes like the Ghostbusters ones back in the mid eighties?..Winona rider is still hot..that's about all its got going for it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Just finished the 2nd series, just incredible from start to finish. Once I've digested it a bit more I'll probably post my entire feelings on the series but right now, right up there as one of the best TV series in recent history.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just finished all of Season 2 myself... I loved every moment of it - it was different from Season 1 sure, but I just love the characters and the tone of the show in general. I even enjoyed the controversial Episode 7.

MVPs of the season for me were Bob the Brain and Steve.

And if you didn't cry at that scene in the last episode with
    Nancy and Dustin
    then you have no soul...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,418 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

And who in God's name had halloween costumes like the Ghostbusters ones back in the mid eighties?

not here obviously, but the amount of Ghostbusters costumes I have seen on Reddit from Americans at that age and time makes me believe it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Ropey start and the dud episode 7 took the shine off the season for me a bit. Still brilliant though. There was so much good in it and it had moments that were better than anything in season 1 but I still think the first was the better season. Better pacing and less over the top.

The homages/references to 80's movies were brilliant. The huge nod to Aliens was epic.
    Having "Burke" in the show and how that character pans out, it almost feels like he redeems himself! :D

I do think cramming in so many 80's references upset the flow a bit but I wouldn't want it any other way. Every time I noticed one it put a huge smile on my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

An episode and a half into it now..not particularly impressed..the success of season 1 went to their heads I reckon. Just seems like a hodgepodge of scenes slapped together for the sake of nostalgia.

Stick with it. It gets deadly after the messy first couple of episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I love the 80s, films, TV shows, music, etc. But I absolutely hate 80s nostalgia. I love this show though, so cheesy. It's a terrible show, but so terrible it's amazing.

End of episode one...building up the dramatic tension of who's living in Hopper's cabin, and...it's Eleven. Yeah, no sh*t. Not surprising at all, pretty obvious.

Next couple of episodes with Eleven flashbacks, PURE FILLER. Anyone watching could've have guessed what happened. She survived alone for a while, and then met up with Hopper and started living (hiding) at the cabin. Nothing shocking happens during the flashbacks, completely pointless.

The Upside Down...The Shadow Monster...the terms they come up with are so laughable.

Episode 7: The Worst Episode, aka The Ultimate Filler Episode. It was like a pilot episode to a bad Syfy network mutant series. I hope any future seasons only get 8 episodes, if this is the muck the Duffer brothers come up with, with additional episodes.

Gaten Matarazzo, not just his character (Dustin), is an extremely annoying actor.

Billy was a ridiculous, over-the-top, weird character. I actually really liked Max. Mike was a complete and total dick to her, Eleven too, which made me dislike both of them.

It's definitely lost the magic and intrigue of the first season, but overall I still enjoyed it. People will continue putting up with its silliness, because of the decent first season, cultural hype, and 80s nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Finished about 2 this morning. Watched first three the previous night.
    Loved it but a bit clunky this time in places. A little of filler stuff shoved in there.
    I'd prefer if they just left it now. Looks pretty obvious that they'll move the show towards the sister story.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Can people use spoilers please!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Mike's Mom - bath scene! Wow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I enjoyed it pretty much, just the plot was almost identical to the first season and it looks to be the same again for the 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I think that the
    paper trail that Will drew and Joyce created is a lame attempt at trying to recreate the Christmas lights moment from season one

I'm on episode 4 now..maybe it's just me..just seems poor..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

anna080 wrote: »
    I think that the
    paper trail that Will drew and Joyce created is a lame attempt at trying to recreate the Christmas lights moment from season one

I thought so too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,878 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Episode 7 was dreadful.. the definition of a bottle episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Overall i enjoyed it a lot except episode 7 but i suppose that's where the option of binge watching makes it much less frustrating as opposed to having to wait a week.

It might be what South Park would call a member berries show but i do love my 80's :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Overall I enjoyed series 2. However, I came away from it disliking some of the main characters that stood out as favourites in season 1 - Dustin & Eleven mainly.

I'm intrigued by the introduction of the bully Billy, and what part he'll play in the next season. The actor is the bleedin' spit of Rob Lowe!

I watched it in a hungover haze so will have to re-watch in the next few weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Finished there.

Absolutely loved it. I don’t get into ranking seasons , jus through it was an excellent follow up likely going to be tough by the shows acclaim when it landed.

Episode 7 was a bit odd, but I guess when we watched it we noted it’s likely importance based of
    The reveal papa is alive
    and
    the confirmation eleven wasn’t like, the 11th successful trial where the rest were disposed, but that other gifted children potentially escaped and they may have significance as another season rolls around

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

7 episodes in and 2 to go, so far I'm impressed. Was worried before hand that it would not live up to the massive hype surrounding this season but I think it has lived up to it so far. The show is such a good watch, I personally love the nostalgic feel to it and had goosebumps watching some of the episodes paired with the soundtrack. Episode 7 was a strange one but still enjoyable. Onto the last 2 now will space them out as it will be a long year until the third season!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Loved it. That is all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I shan't be back. Threadbare plot, a lot of dodgy acting and just...meh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

On the last episode, enjoying but god, I actually hate Mike!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

I actually got a bit emotional over
    Dustin saying goodbye to Dart and then seeing Dart dead and the candy wrapper next to him. He just wanted nougat

The world could do with more
    Bob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

This was awesome not as good as season 1 but still excellent. Would recommend people to skip episode 7 entirely.

This scene was gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Birneybau wrote: »
    I shan't be back. Threadbare plot, a lot of dodgy acting and just...meh

See same time next year, yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I enjoyed it but thought the Eleven storyline could have been covered in 2-3 episodes

Advertisement