Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Looking forward to checking this out tonight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Will definitely try and catch an episode tonight; no doubt in that time half the people here will have binged their way through the whole 8 episodes though ;):(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

pixelburp wrote: »
    Will definitely try and catch an episode tonight; no doubt in that time half the people here will have binged their way through the whole 8 episodes though ;):(

I'm actually tempted to try - my sister is getting married tomorrow, so I won't get a chance to watch any of it tomorrow or Sunday...

That said, I don't think I'll manage it, as I haven't binged anything in years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm actually tempted to try - my sister is getting married tomorrow, so I won't get a chance to watch any of it tomorrow or Sunday...

That said, I don't think I'll manage it, as I haven't binged anything in years.

Sure why engorge and rush something, when you can savour the flavour by taking your time :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    Sure why engorge and rush something, when you can savour the flavour by taking your time :D

Because it's intriguing and I want to know what happens next... and I want to know it now! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,878 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Skip the wedding!

FM1423-800x600.jpg

Basq wrote: »
    Skip the wedding!

FM1423-800x600.jpg

Oh how I would if I was let - having to dress up in a bloody suit and socialize with family members I generally try my best to avoid... Give me Netflix over that any day of the week, but I haven't really been given a choice - they made me agree to write & read a poem for the ceremony, so I kinda suppose I have to be there... :rolleyes:

Anyway, don't think I'll binge-watch the whole series tonight. Watching episode 3 at the moment and I think after that I'll leave the rest until Monday & Tuesday night, in order to savour it a little. Really enjoying it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Fantastic so far, loving the 80's vibe - that's tonight and most of tomorrow sorted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,556 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Loved the nod to ET in episode 3 when the mother brings the casserole the little girl is dressed like Drew Barrymore and has her hair in pigtails.

Oh and the soundtrack is amazing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I meant to say earlier, I wonder if
    Eleven is the Sheriff's dead daughter? They didn't mention how she died, not in the first two episodes anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

One episode in and I'm planning on getting through this whole series ASAP!

It really gains momentum in Episode 3. Look forward to getting into the rest of it early next week.

Loved the nod to ET in episode 3 when the mother brings the casserole the little girl is dressed like Drew Barrymore and has her hair in pigtails.

Oh and the soundtrack is amazing.

The light scene with the little girl in this episode is magic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Walkie talkies are bigger than the kids' heads. :pac:

Watched the first episode and wow, really tense, mysterious stuff. Deeply cinematic in tone and presentation and i hope that persists through the series. Thankfully, the setting and period wasn't laid on too thick beyond a few lingering glances at unfortunate fashion choices. The nostalgia for the 80s is there but it's passing.

On the 3rd episode now.. it really has been superb so far!

Although, I can't be the only one who thinks of this lad every time Steve is on screen:

JeanRalphio.png

"Flu-hushed with ca-hash!"

Just finished the third episode! WOW!
    OMG WHAT'S GOING ON, IS HE DEAD OR ALIVE. FEELS BUT NOT SURE WHAT FEELS!"!!

Must sleep now! More tomorrow!

Slydice wrote: »
    Just finished the third episode! WOW!
    OMG WHAT'S GOING ON, IS HE DEAD OR ALIVE. FEELS BUT NOT SURE WHAT FEELS!"!!

Must sleep now! More tomorrow!
    Just finished episode 3 too.. can't wait til tomorrow.. onto episode 4!

Episode 4 is called
    The Body
    - surely a Stand By Me reference.

Can I just echo those sentiments on episode 3 and add a HOLY JAYSUS!

I've no idea what's going on but I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Just finished the last episode, brilliant series - hope Netflix do more like this!

• Advertisement

Have to wait til this evening to finish the last two.. but been enthralled throughout.

Could be the most enjoyable original series from Netflix in some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Basq wrote: »
    Could be the most enjoyable original series from Netflix in some time.
    Definitely, some the other other series like House of Cards and Orange Is The New Black were enjoyable but I thought this was a step above.

Spoiler for finale:
    Very happy to see they left it open for a second season with the 1 month later bit - I had been thinking they might do an American Horror Story idea and go with a completely new setup for a season 2 but based on the ending I'd assume they'd continue the same story. Only thing now is do we think El is alive or dead? I'm leaning more towards being alive and Will is going to see her at some stage when he has another temporary crossover then rescuing her could form the basis for the second season.

Ok, just finished Episode 5 and WOW!

Everything about that episode just jumped a level.

Like... this is the point where the series just bumped from Brilliant Series! to contender for series of the year!

It just bombarded you with Everything the show did well and just didn't quit!

Halfway through the episode I was just like torn between needing to post about it and wanting to see the rest of it.

I mean like...
    it nailed the 80s, the Cold War, the Kids, the Adults, the SciFi, the Fantasy, the Science, the Government conspiracy, the Kid ain't dead so theres A NEW HOPE! And like Winona! Winona was great and kept at it! She's been great the whole series but this episode is where the series joined her at that level and then together everything meshed and was just so well done!
    Just like... wow! *deep breath*

Onwards!

Just finished Ep 4 and I'm fighting an internal battle as to whether I keep going or keep to my 2 a day ration!

On the strength of 4 episodes I'd be tempted to email the EMMYs and tell them to withdraw all yesterday's nominations and give them all to Stranger Things. Even the comedy ones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Two episodes in and I have to say, this is great TV, but then I would, as a child of the 80's this Spielbergian mash up of his greatest hits (a dose of E.T. combined with a chunk of Close Encounters and Poltergiest with an added dash of The Goonies, basically all the movies I loved growing up) it's like it was personally written for me and it doesn't hurt that it's well written, tense and packed with the nostalgic soundtrack of my youth also.

Just finished six. I feel like I _should_ take a break but I don't want to.

Maybe just like a five or ten minutes breather to browse the web or something..

Slydice wrote: »
    Just finished six. I feel like I _should_ take a break but I don't want to.

Maybe just like a five or ten minutes breather to browse the web or something..

Snap - just started 7.... i had to..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 60,556 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is it me or does Nancy really look like a young Emma Watson.

Not that Emma Watson is old just a Harry Potter aged Emma Watson.

Is it me or does Nancy really look like a young Emma Watson.

Not that Emma Watson is old just a Harry Potter Emma Watson.

I think she looks more like a young Emmy Rossum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

3 episodes in - seems to be the best thing Netflix has done.

Advertisement