Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Basq wrote: »
    Episode 7 was dreadful.. the definition of a bottle episode!

I'm glad someone else thought so. I haven't seen anyone else mentioning how bad episode 7 was and I don't know why. It was absolute garbage, I don't understand why they went down that route of a story line. The acting was terrible in this episode, so bad that it felt like I was watching Gotham or a different tv show.

Overall I did enjoy series 2 though, I just wished I'd skipped episode 7 and gone straight episode 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Andy Magic wrote: »
    I'm glad someone else thought so. I haven't seen anyone else mentioning how bad episode 7 was and I don't know why. It was absolute garbage, I don't understand why they went down that route of a story line. The acting was terrible in this episode, so bad that it felt like I was watching Gotham or a different tv show.

Overall I did enjoy series 2 though, I just wished I'd skipped episode 7 and gone straight episode 8.

That’s what I am doing. Because of what people said here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Meh. Won;t be in a rush to watch season 3.

Episode 7 may as well have just been titled "Is there any interest in a Spin-Off?"

No. No there is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

I also wasn't overly keen on episode 7 but to call it 'the definition of a bottle episode' couldn't be much more wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,163 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Nancy & Steve? X

Nancy & Jonathan? X

Nancy & Dustin? ✔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,878 ✭✭✭✭Basq

cian68 wrote: »
    I also wasn't overly keen on episode 7 but to call it 'the definition of a bottle episode' couldn't be much more wrong.
    Agree to disagree... but I thought it added absolutely nothing to the ongoing story.

It only served as a potential nod to a PG-13 version of The Warriors... pathetic!

Not just that but it was a
    lazy introduction and dismissal to unmemorable characters which to be honest Kali was the only one with the potential to re-appear.

The rest of the series was by and large very impressive but I'd say even The Duffer's are wondering what they hell they were thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Basq wrote:
    Agree to disagree... but I thought it added absolutely nothing to the ongoing story.

No, it literally doesn't fit the definition of a bottle episode;

"a bottle episode is produced cheaply and restricted in scope to use as few non-regular cast members, effects and sets as possible. Bottle episodes are usually shot on sets built for other episodes, frequently the main interior sets for a series and consist largely of dialogue and scenes for which no special preparations are needed. They are also commonly used when one script has fallen through and another has to be written at short notice."

I think you're thinking of a 'filler' episode and I totally agree. Didn't like it at all and added nothing to the season 2 narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

only three days ago I discovered this show. I loved season one, the acting was brilliant and eleven should get an emmy . I just thought it was so well written and directed .......
    so watched season two, I knew when I saw the duffer brothers had got in other writers and directors the standard would fall and it did .
    I painted my nails while watching episode 7 absolute clap trap but over all enjoyed season 2 and waiting for season 3 with bated breath

FunLover18 wrote: »
    "a bottle episode is produced cheaply and restricted in scope to use as few non-regular cast members, effects and sets as possible.

Bottle episodes are usually shot on sets built for other episodes, frequently the main interior sets for a series and consist largely of dialogue and scenes for which no special preparations are needed. They are also commonly used when one script has fallen through and another has to be written at short notice.".
    Other than El and "The Warriors", it was shot on location in a random warehouse / shop with a handful of exterior shots. Was cheap as chips to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Wasn't a fan of episode 7 but it served it's purpose.
    Helped Eleven bam her powers up a notch and develop her moral compass.

Noah Schnapp did a great job this season as Will, really carried the increased role well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Andy Magic wrote: »
    I haven't seen anyone else mentioning how bad episode 7 was and I don't know why.

While most of the season was an overload of good 80's stuff, ep 7 felt like an overload of bad 80's stuff.

I dunno..The whole thing just seems like clichéd sh1te tbh..I think perhaps we're in some sort of a post golden age of television era, where lots of people no longer appreciate television as an art form, and just say things are good due to some cognitive bias or something, up to the point where it just becomes too glaringly obvious to deny..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Episode 7 was dreadful.. the definition of a bottle episode!
    Defiantly was the poorest episode, but you might want to look up that definition ;)
    It had so many non-regular cast mambers, new sets and exterior city locations it's actually the complete opposite. Done probably cheap yes but not a "bottle episode"

Edit: Funlover beat me to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

I love the 80s, films, TV shows, music, etc. But I absolutely hate 80s nostalgia. I love this show though, so cheesy. It's a terrible show, but so terrible it's amazing.

End of episode one...building up the dramatic tension of who's living in Hopper's cabin, and...it's Eleven. Yeah, no sh*t. Not surprising at all, pretty obvious.

Next couple of episodes with Eleven flashbacks, PURE FILLER. Anyone watching could've have guessed what happened. She survived alone for a while, and then met up with Hopper and started living (hiding) at the cabin. Nothing shocking happens during the flashbacks, completely pointless.

The Upside Down...The Shadow Monster...the terms they come up with are so laughable.

Episode 7: The Worst Episode, aka The Ultimate Filler Episode. It was like a pilot episode to a bad Syfy network mutant series. I hope any future seasons only get 8 episodes, if this is the muck the Duffer brothers come up with, with additional episodes.

Gaten Matarazzo, not just his character (Dustin), is an extremely annoying actor.

Billy was a ridiculous, over-the-top, weird character. I actually really liked Max. Mike was a complete and total dick to her, Eleven too, which made me dislike both of them.

It's definitely lost the magic and intrigue of the first season, but overall I still enjoyed it. People will continue putting up with its silliness, because of the decent first season, cultural hype, and 80s nostalgia.

You have to realize it's a show that is made to be something kids and adults can both enjoy, if plot points seem predictable it's because you're an adult who has watched a lot of TV. And in the 80s they made stuff obvious, like the camera linger on the guy who is gonna be a baddy for a long time, stuff they don't do any more.

It's not meant to be the Wire!

As for Billy, having grown up in America in the 80s he is actually totally believable. There were guys like that, they were called 'hammers' in my neighborhood. Listened to metal, wore a lot of denim, were crazy delinquents, drove trans ams or irocs, had feathered mullets, and were merciless bullies to younger kids. Most ended up in jail later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭cena

Anyone know where I can get the soundtrack for s2, BON JOVI etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

cena wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get the soundtrack for s2, BON JOVI etc

Spotify I imagine. There might be an official playlist or a fan of the show has done their research.

Edit: Just searched there and it's on Spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

just finished season 2, i enjoyed it now to watch the goonies again lol
    it was something different to watch anyway, i read online they spent 6-8 million dollars an episode, cant see it myself unless thats including charlie heatons coke bill

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

"So Jonathon, how was the pullout?"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Need a recap of season 1? Let Eleven recap for you...

^ **cringe** ^

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I forgave Netflix for its promotion blitzkrieg earlier in this thread before the new season launched,, but man it's getting a little tedious; don't begrudge the kids a little fame at all & is probably (at least you'd hope!) a laugh for them, but compared to the sleeper hit of season 1, Netflix are borderline overstaying their welcome at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

^ **cringe** ^

Id avoid any interviews with her if I were you. She can be annoying with a bit of an ego. I fear the whole thing is going to her head. It also spoils her character hearing her speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭kg703

I really liked season 2 all bar of course that one episode - it was like watching a different show - one I would never ever watch again so hopefully the writers take note because even 8s character wasn't good and no one want it to turn into a terrible version of the xmen.

The rehash of last season was expected and I still enjoyed it.
    Mike and Eleven acting the way they did - was just the way kids would act really. Nobody likes a replacement :P As a 13 year old if some girl was flirting with the guy I liked, she would be number one on the enemy list!

Can't understand the hating on Dustin - When he was crying on the steps all alone at the dance, nearly got me.

The kid who plays Will deserves an award - anyone else think he was great this season? Especially when he was possessed/in pain etc.

Lastly - Steve is the champion of Stranger Things #teamsteve

• Registered Users Posts: 10,276 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I dunno..The whole thing just seems like clichéd sh1te tbh..I think perhaps we're in some sort of a post golden age of television era, where lots of people no longer appreciate television as an art form, and just say things are good due to some cognitive bias or something, up to the point where it just becomes too glaringly obvious to deny..

Nail on head

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Or maybe it's not that psychologically complex and some people just think differently to you and happened to like it.
    Imagine that! :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Or maybe different people like different things, and making snide, side-of-the-mouth insults about folks' perceptions of good/enjoyable TV isn't friendly or particularly conducive to discussion - nor does it make you look better either. Stranger Things never, ever, set itself as being 'TV as an art form', nor should it be judged as such; though given the show manages to play with - or in a few cases openly subvert - cliches and tropes, it's a cleverer & more self-aware show than perhaps you yourself first realised or deign to give credit for :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I love this show, Its total cheese but that what its suppose to be, every episode has about 2scene's that are throw back to some 80's classic,
    Hooper rushing off only to turn last second an pick up his hat (Indian Jones)
    Bob in the car tells Will about a clown who only went away when he he stood up to him and wasn't scared (IT) Bob is also from Maine (where It happened ) and would have grown up there in the 50's at same time, its brilliant ,
    All the kid actors are brilliant,
    Its just a total 80's throw back and its done amazingly well, and that means its corny, and silly at times,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,163 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

py2006 wrote: »
    Id avoid any interviews with her if I were you. She can be annoying with a bit of an ego. I fear the whole thing is going to her head. It also spoils her character hearing her speak.

Bit harsh, she's only 12/13.

Remember reading that her father is apparently of those very pushy showbiz parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

J. Marston wrote: »
    py2006 wrote: »
    Id avoid any interviews with her if I were you.   She can be annoying with a bit of an ego. I fear the whole thing is going to her head.   It also spoils her character hearing her speak.

Bit harsh, she's only 12/13.

Remember reading that her father is apparently of those very pushy showbiz parents.
    I think shows how good she is at acting, she comes across so different in interviews ,
    A lot of the kid star seem to just play themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

I love this show, Its total cheese but that what its suppose to be, every episode has about 2scene's that are throw back to some 80's classic,
    Hooper rushing off only to turn last second an pick up his hat (Indian Jones)
    Bob in the car tells Will about a clown who only went away when he he stood up to him and wasn't scared (IT) Bob is also from Maine (where It happened ) and would have grown up there in the 50's at same time, its brilliant ,
    All the kid actors are brilliant,
    Its just a total 80's throw back and its done amazingly well, and that means its corny, and silly at times,

Yes!! All of this is why I love it...it's just so much fun to watch! I so enjoyed 80's bad boy Billy, Dustin & Steve and Bob. Really added to my Halloween bank holiday weekend.

Advertisement