Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I don't get the hate for MBB in interviews. She's just a young kid having fun. She comes across pleasant and mannerly and I'd have that any day over some arrogant toss bag who thinks they're sh!t hot. It's a testament to her acting that people are so surprised and taken aback by the real her.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I loved Season 1, watched all those episodes so many times. Going into Season two I was expecting the magic that they created in S1 to be very difficult to keep up with in S2, and I was right.

Really enjoyed Season 2 in general but have to agree with most others here that episode 7 was poor, i'll rewatch the other episodes but probably skip 7, the season would have been stronger without episode 7.

Really looking forward to season 3 but hopefully no more experimental episodes like 7 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Gonzo wrote: »
    I loved Season 1, watched all those episodes so many times. Going into Season two I was expecting the magic that they created in S1 to be very difficult to keep up with in S2, and I was right.

Really enjoyed Season 2 in general but have to agree with most others here that episode 7 was poor, i'll rewatch the other episodes but probably skip 7, the season would have been stronger without episode 7.

Really looking forward to season 3 but hopefully no more experimental episodes like 7 again.

I'm pretty sure episode 7 is setting up future plot arcs, unfortunately. I wouldn't be surprised if the Upside Down will be out of action for a season or two...it's kind of limited in terms of storytelling potential.

Wow..I've never been quoted by three people in a row before..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

Just finished season two and thought it was great fun and probably better than season one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Wow..I've never been quoted by three people in a row before..

You could say Stranger Things have happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I've only watched first 2 eps of season 2. I'm really struggling to come up with a reason to watch the 3rd tbh.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Finished it last night, thoroughly enjoyed it. Thought it started slow, but once things got moving (around episode 3) I was completely engrossed. Eagerly awaiting season 3.

Had
    Bob's death
    spoiled for me on facebook, was very pissed off :mad:.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

So I was thinking about 1985, the year a Season 3 would be set in.

Some good songs to choose from:

1. "Careless Whisper".....Wham!
    2. "Say You, Say Me".....Lionel Richie
    3. "Separate Lives".....Phil Collins & Marilyn Martin
    4. "I Want To Know What Love Is".....Foreigner
    5. "Money For Nothing".....Dire Straits
    6. "We Are The World".....USA for Africa
    7. "Broken Wings".....Mr. Mister
    8. "Everybody Wants To Rule The World".....Tears for Fears
    9. "The Power Of Love".....Huey Lewis & The News
    10. "We Built This City".....Starship
    11. "St. Elmo's Fire".....John Parr
    12. "Can't Fight This Feeling".....REO Speedwagon
    13. "Crazy For You".....Madonna
    14. "Easy Lover".....Phillip Bailey & Phil Collins
    15. "Everytime You Go Away".....Paul Young
    16. "Don't You (Forget About Me):.....Simple Minds
    17. "Take On Me".....a-ha
    18. "Party All The Time".....Eddie Murphy
    19. "Everything She Wants".....Wham!
    20. "Shout".....Tears for Fears
    21. "Alive and Kicking".....Simple Minds
    22. "I Miss You".....Klymaxx
    23. "Sea Of Love".....Honeydrippers
    24. "Cool It Now".....New Edition
    25. "Part-Time Lover".....Stevie Wonder
    26. "Saving All My Love For You".....Whitney Houston
    27. "Sussudio".....Phil Collins
    28. "Oh Sheila".....Ready for the World"
    29. "A View To A Kill".....Duran Duran
    30. "One More Night".....Phil Collins
    31. "Cherish".....Kool & The Gang
    32. "Heaven".....Bryan Adams
    33. "The Heat Is On".....Glenn Frey
    34. "Raspberry Beret".....Prince & The Revolution
    35. "You're The Inspiration".....Chicago
    36. "If You Love Somebody Set Them Free".....Sting
    37. "Miami Vice Theme".....Jan Hammer
    38. "Freeway Of Love".....Aretha Franklin
    39. "Don't Lose My Number".....Phil Collins
    40. "Never".....Heart
    41. "Things Can Only Get Better".....Howard Jones
    42. "The Boys Of Summer".....Don Henley
    43. "Rhythm Of The Night".....DeBarge
    44. "We Don't Need Another Hero".....Tina Turner
    45. "We Belong".....Pat Benatar
    46. "Loverboy".....Billy Ocean
    47. "All I Need".....Jack Wagner
    48. "One Night In Bangkok".....Murray Head
    49. "Never Surrender".....Corey Hart
    50. "Lovergirl".....Teena Marie

As for movies, 1985 brought us the goonies which is a big influence for this show and in my opinion they made a huge mistake
    killing off the Bob character. Would have been cool to maintain Sean Astin or only introduce him in season 3

Don't forget Back to the Future was the big hit that year as was the Breakfast Club

Ok, I have too much spare time... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

py2006 wrote: »
    So I was thinking about 1985, the year a Season 3 would be set in.

Some good songs to choose from:

1. "Careless Whisper".....Wham!
    2. "Say You, Say Me".....Lionel Richie
    3. "Separate Lives".....Phil Collins & Marilyn Martin
    4. "I Want To Know What Love Is".....Foreigner
    5. "Money For Nothing".....Dire Straits
    6. "We Are The World".....USA for Africa
    7. "Broken Wings".....Mr. Mister
    8. "Everybody Wants To Rule The World".....Tears for Fears
    9. "The Power Of Love".....Huey Lewis & The News
    10. "We Built This City".....Starship
    11. "St. Elmo's Fire".....John Parr
    12. "Can't Fight This Feeling".....REO Speedwagon
    13. "Crazy For You".....Madonna
    14. "Easy Lover".....Phillip Bailey & Phil Collins
    15. "Everytime You Go Away".....Paul Young
    16. "Don't You (Forget About Me):.....Simple Minds
    17. "Take On Me".....a-ha
    18. "Party All The Time".....Eddie Murphy
    19. "Everything She Wants".....Wham!
    20. "Shout".....Tears for Fears
    21. "Alive and Kicking".....Simple Minds
    22. "I Miss You".....Klymaxx
    23. "Sea Of Love".....Honeydrippers
    24. "Cool It Now".....New Edition
    25. "Part-Time Lover".....Stevie Wonder
    26. "Saving All My Love For You".....Whitney Houston
    27. "Sussudio".....Phil Collins
    28. "Oh Sheila".....Ready for the World"
    29. "A View To A Kill".....Duran Duran
    30. "One More Night".....Phil Collins
    31. "Cherish".....Kool & The Gang
    32. "Heaven".....Bryan Adams
    33. "The Heat Is On".....Glenn Frey
    34. "Raspberry Beret".....Prince & The Revolution
    35. "You're The Inspiration".....Chicago
    36. "If You Love Somebody Set Them Free".....Sting
    37. "Miami Vice Theme".....Jan Hammer
    38. "Freeway Of Love".....Aretha Franklin
    39. "Don't Lose My Number".....Phil Collins
    40. "Never".....Heart
    41. "Things Can Only Get Better".....Howard Jones
    42. "The Boys Of Summer".....Don Henley
    43. "Rhythm Of The Night".....DeBarge
    44. "We Don't Need Another Hero".....Tina Turner
    45. "We Belong".....Pat Benatar
    46. "Loverboy".....Billy Ocean
    47. "All I Need".....Jack Wagner
    48. "One Night In Bangkok".....Murray Head
    49. "Never Surrender".....Corey Hart
    50. "Lovergirl".....Teena Marie

As for movies, 1985 brought us the goonies which is a big influence for this show and in my opinion they made a huge mistake
    killing off the Bob character.  Would have been cool to maintain Sean Astin or only introduce him in season 3

Don't forget Back to the Future was the big hit that year as was the Breakfast Club

Ok,  I have too much spare time...  :o
    They are talking about a bit of a time hop due to the kids starting to look older and voices breaking  so it may be set in 1986

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

They are talking about a bit of a time hop due to the kids starting to look older and voices breaking  so it may be set in 1986

Don't make me rethink this. Just go with it for now lol

Did ya have to quote the whole post! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭brevity

Have to say I really loved this series. Everyone was great - Gaten/Dustin was the highlight for me. Harbour was fantastic too.

I was a little on the fence about ep 7 as I'm sure a few others are. I like how it was brought back up in the finale though to highlight the purpose of the episode.

All in all, a really good sequel imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

It's like the "difficult second album".

I felt it did have massive boots to fill seeing that the first was a great nostalgia fuelled scifi / horror romp. But the whole of Season 2 fell flat for me.

Annoying characters
    (Max, Billy and family. Yes, even Dustin annoyed me in some scenes and he's meant to be the comedic relief!)
    , unnecessary dialogue
    (after all they've been through and witnessing Will react when they burned the tendril, why would they discredit the "Mind Flayer" theory so quickly?)
    , unnecessary episodes
    (episode seven was an absolute dog turd... didn't enjoy one minute of it. The song they used was a little too on the nose. "Heuston - Runaway")
    and references that felt forced
    (Aliens, The Lost Boys, Gremlins to name a few)

Personally I'd give it a solid 6/10, but am not mad about it like I was the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

Enjoyed it, but really thought her sister 008 would come back, or max's evil brother would be involved more near the end. The ending just doesn't sit right with me, seemed very rushed or something... And the two characters I mentioned, while yes I see they are part of the bigger picture, a little bit pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 10,276 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Enjoyed it, but really thought her sister 008 would come back, or max's evil brother would be involved more near the end. The ending just doesn't sit right with me, seemed very rushed or something... And the two characters I mentioned, while yes I see they are part of the bigger picture, a little bit pointless

Spin off? Future seasons becoming like the X-Men/Avengers?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭JKerova1

The part with Dustins cat kind of ruined it for me. Don't know why really it just seemed out of place in an 80's nostalgia-type show. In Gremlins and even Aliens the pets always survived. And Dustins reaction made me hate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭De Bhál

part that i was shouting at the TV =
    Hopper climbing down into the tunnel through that hole in the field. WHAT ARE YOU AT FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Finished the final 2 episodes today, really enjoyed them and thought the last episode in particular was very good. Realistically, if you are just watching this show purely for the storyline it probably isn't going to be the best show you've ever watched. It's the nostalgia, the characters, the music and all of that which makes it such a good show, it somehow makes you feel like you are a kid again when you are watching it which is amazing as not many other things I've ever watched have been able to do that. There is a real innocence to it or something, rooting on the good guys and hoping evil doesn't win.

I think the key to this show is not to take it too seriously and just enjoy how it makes you feel.

Spoilers:
    In scenes such as Bob trying to escape from the lab, or the kids & Steve trying to get back out of the tunnel after setting it on fire, I was genuinely watching from behind my hands! Gutted when Bob died although felt it was coming. Absolutely loved the last 15 mins of the final episode, some great songs and had a serious laugh when I saw Dustins hair :D Not sure what direction I would like it to go for season 3, as another poster said they are limited with what they can do if they keep returning to the 'upside down'.

Overall, one of the most entertaining things on Netflix IMO, will definitely be watched a few more times before next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭brevity

The Dustin & Steve partnership was definitely one of the highlights for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Watch first half last week, and to be honest I have no real inclination to finish it out.

Just not doing it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭branners69

NIMAN wrote: »
    Watch first half last week, and to be honest I have no real inclination to finish it out.

Just not doing it for me.

First or second season?

I am struggling with the first season, am on episode 6 and probably wont finish it! I am a kid of the 80's and all that sh1te but still not feeling anything for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

branners69 wrote: »
    First or second season?

I am struggling with the first season, am on episode 6 and probably wont finish it! I am a kid of the 80's and all that sh1te but still not feeling anything for this.

2nd series.

I would also have given the 1st series an average mark, but it was different and as a kid of the 70s/80s, it held my interest enough to finish it out. Didn't think it had a great ending though.

Now started 2nd series and the novelty has worn off....so struggling to get the interest to watch the second half of it. 50/50 if I do or not. Would need to be absolutely nothing else on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

NIMAN wrote: »
    2nd series.

I would also have given the 1st series an average mark, but it was different and as a kid of the 70s/80s, it held my interest enough to finish it out. Didn't think it had a great ending though.

Now started 2nd series and the novelty has worn off....so struggling to get the interest to watch the second half of it. 50/50 if I do or not. Would need to be absolutely nothing else on.

Well the second half does move a lot faster than the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Occono wrote:
    Well the second half does move a lot faster than the first.

Probably would even quicker if they skipped episode 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I rewatched the first season right before watching the second so I can't help but compare the two. The first season felt a lot tighter. Like a genuine 8 hour film divided into episodes. There wasn't a lot of filler. Characters were smart and figured stuff out. And people talked to each other. Something would happen, and on another show they wouldn't talk to anyone and it would get dragged out. But in this you had Hopper quickly catch on that Joyce was right. Nancy and Jonathan started putting things together. And the kids were on it.

But in season 2 I felt that a lot of that was just missing. There was definitely filler. And it felt like I sat through the first few episodes waiting for something to happen. But once it got about half way in I started to enjoy it more.

The Bad:
    Dustin keeping Dart and insisting against all evidence that it was cute and meant no harm. After everything that happened in season 1. And after Will told him that it came from the upside down. It was a real moment of something needing to happen because the plot needed it. But it made no god damned sense

I guess the show runners felt they had to send Jonathan and Nancy on a side trip to be more like the first season but it was just boring. When they went to that guys place and he kept bringing up their relationship, again it was a real "This is a TV show" moment. Because who in real life gives a **** about the love life of two teenagers they don't know

I like the idea of 10 other people with special powers out there. But the storyline with 8 was not done well, and has made me have 0 interest in seeing anything else to do with her or any of the others if its done the same way

Max and Billy. For the first few episodes I was sure that Max was a plant to get the group to give up Eleven. But then she just turned out to be a normal kid. Her entire purpose seemed to be something to give Lucas a storyline. And every time Billy showed up I rolled my eyes.

The Good
    Will was the best thing about Season 2 for me. He didn't have a huge amount to do in the first season but I thought he was amazing this time around. There were some scenes when he was basically acting with his whole body. Whoever was in charge of casting those kids did such a great job.

Dustin and Steve. While I did feel that they shoehorned Steve into the kids storyline just to keep the actor on the show, I actually really enjoyed his interaction with the kids, especially Dustin. Their chats were great

Hopper and Eleven. Loved their relationship. Great choice to have them in so many scenes together.

Dustin at the dance killed me. It went from me laughing at him going in to genuinely having a lump in the throat. Damn those pre-teen/teen years can be a killer.

All in all, pretty uneven but still enjoyable. I'll be back for Season 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Good, not great.

Found myself becoming distracted throughout which didn't happen once during season 1 though I'm sure the novelty and going into season 1 completely blind added to it's charm.

I'll defo watch season 3 as soon as it hits but will have somewhat tempered expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Hrududu wrote: »
    Dustin at the dance killed me. It went from me laughing at him going in to genuinely having a lump in the throat. Damn those pre-teen/teen years can be a killer.

I really liked how they handled that as I really thought I knew what was going to happen; that Dustin would happily go from person to person until someone said yes. Basically, go with the cliche.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I really liked how they handled that as I really thought I knew what was going to happen; that Dustin would happily go from person to person until someone said yes. Basically, go with the cliche.

Smoove

DUSTIN_HAIR.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Noel82 wrote: »

This scene was gas.

How was the pull out :pac: Pretty raunchy, or am I a perv, and it wasn't intended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

How was the pull out :pac: Pretty raunchy, or am I a perv, and it wasn't intended.

Of course it was intended.

Got a chuckle from me all right. But on reflection, it was a bit of a crass way to inject some levity.

It could have gone "I hope you slept well!" and the two share a loving, but awkward glance and the audience read between the lines.

Advertisement