Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

me_irl wrote: »
    Of course it was intended.

Got a chuckle from me all right. But on reflection, it was a bit of a crass way to inject some levity.

It could have gone "I hope you slept well!" and the two share a loving, but awkward glance and the audience read between the lines.

Ah, I think kids would have just assumed the guy was joking about the pullout bed, whereas adults would have got the joke, so it was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Ah, I think kids would have just assumed the guy was joking about the pullout bed, whereas adults would have got the joke, so it was fine.

That was the point of the joke all right.

Still, I think it could have done without it. But I'm just nitpicking.

I felt the second season had a lot of unnecessary "catalyst" characters.
    (Murray the conspiracy theorist being one)

me_irl wrote: »
    I felt the second season had a lot of unnecessary "catalyst" characters.
    (Murray the conspiracy theorist being one)

Agreed in general, but re Spoilered character, I actually liked him.

The worst I felt were,
    Max and her brother
    I was expecting something way more STRANGE about them, with possible future series to be based on them. But, that petered out very tame in the end.

BUT, enjoyed S2 very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Not nearly in the same ballpark as season 1 and while it had interesting moments it just wasn't the same. I suppose that was to be expected.

I thought
    Billy and Max were just weird additions who didn't add anything to the plot. In their first few appearances there were hints they might have a very interesting backstory somehow connected to the things going on in Hawkins. But nope they really were a nothing addition to the story, especially Billy.

I loved
    Dustin
    in season 1 but didn't at all this season, though did feel sorry for him at the very end. Loved
    Bob Newby Superhero,
    a genuine good guy.

Overall it was fine, but lost it's way a few times and had plenty of filler. Episode 7 was bizarre to say the least. Good not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I've just finished this. I liked it. I read some posts here about episode 7 being a turd of an episode but I didn't mind it too much- apart from the fact that some of the characters seemed a bit forced. But if season 3 is going to focus on them then I willl categorically not be interested.
    Best parts for me
    When Bob died! Poor Bob. I was genuinely watching from behind my hands and screaming at the tv. Poor Bob! He was a great addition to the show but I feel he has death written all over him from episode one. He was too nice and the nice guys usually get eaten!
    At first I liked Max, I thought she was cool and interesting- but seeing how she brought absolutely nothing to the table only a love interest for Lucas which I 100% did not buy, I quickly lost interest.
    Eleven and Hopper- they have great chemistry and I really buy into them caring for one another.
    Steve! I <3 Steve. He was one of the stars of this series for me. So cool and so 80's.
    Mike and Eleven. But I really could do without seeing them kiss, thanks!

Worst parts
    Some of it was just pure ridiculous and trying to exploit the madness of season one but taking it too far. The paper trail in the house being one- and Joyce just knowing where to place all the pages. A bit daft.
    Dustin keeping Dart- whyyyy would you! And then the moment in the tunnel at the end where he meets Dart and gives him chocolate! BS! That thing would have eaten them all in two seconds flat! That was ridiculous.
    Billy- wtf. He was so one dimensional and stupid. What the hell is up with this dude and why is he such a dick? He was too much of an ass for me. Some of the scenes were just plain unnecessary-like the fight with Steve and Billy at the end, pure daft.
    I found Dustin slightly irritating this series.
    The stuff about Eleven's mother dragged on a bit too much fir my interest.
    I also feel the kids were all too separated this season. The magic comes from when they're all together but having them all divided off into sub groups ruined some of the magic on screen.
    I must have no heart because I did not like the scene with Dustin at the dance. I think it's because I knew Eleven was coming up so I was wishing they'd just get on with it. Dragged on a bit much.

So yeah. Jesus. That seems to be a lot more negatives than positives- but in reality I think far more positively about the show than it would seem here. I thought it was great, and they did what they had to do to move the story on from season one. It was lacking in some of the magic of season one but I suppose that was always going to happen, it was all so new to us then so how could it not.
    Looking forward to the next!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,242 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Was Max's brother just supposed to be
    racist
    then? I liked both him and Max at first but their story went pretty much nowhere. I thought he'd pull a
    Steve and end up helping out before the end, I also thought his character was going to end up being gay

Very enjoyable season but definite step down from season one. Episode 7 was the low point for me, even though I get they were going for a Warriors/Lost Boys vibe with it but it felt like a different show.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Episode 7 was the low point for me, even though I get they were going for a Warriors/Lost Boys vibe with it but it felt like a different show.

Funny you should mention that, I got that from Billy, I expected him to be some kind of Lost Boys Vampire, but no...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,242 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Funny you should mention that, I got that from Billy, I expected him to be some kind of Lost Boys Vampire, but no...

Yeah the hair and ear ring were definitely giving off that vibe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭brevity

I thought that there might have been a racism angle alright. I think Billy mentioned something like "those people" when he picked up Max from the arcade.

Thinking back about episode 7...it was pretty poor in comparison to everything else. The acting was awful and I didn't really care for the punk gangsters.

I think (hope) there is only one season left in this, perhaps they are all moving off to college or something and there is one last battle with the upside down or one of the kids with powers turns out to be evil (wants to re-open the portal) and they have to battle them.

brevity wrote: »
    I think (hope) there is only one season left in this, perhaps they are all moving off to college or something and there is one last battle with the upside down or one of the kids with powers turns out to be evil and they have to battle them.

They have three more seasons planned.

Also, at the end of season 2
    the evil spider thing left Will and would have been "trapped in our dimension"
    I know we saw it again in the upsidedown at the VERY end, but surely
    some part is left in our dimension
    Or is it a continuity error?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭brevity

They have three more seasons planned.

Hmmm...I think that's a mistake.

I guess they are gonna try and get the rest of the numbered kids and make some X-Men type thing. Wouldn't be a fan of that tbh.

I thought they didn't leave too much of a clue or a reason to believe anything sinister was lurking for season 3. I thought when they got the camera out for prom pictures that it would show Joyce or Dustin's mother looking back on some footage or picture and there would be something sinister about the photo- like there was on Bob's camera when Will took it for trick or treating.

There wasn't the same explosion of an ending, making me anticipate a season 3, like there was last season.

One last thing-
    how did Dr Owens survive? Are we meant to believe that the demidogs demolished bodies all over the building leaving them scattered dead, but only had a nibble on his leg?!? Nonsense!

anna080 wrote: »
    One last thing-
    how did Dr Owens survive? Are we meant to believe that the demidog demolished bodies all over the building leaving them scattered dead, but only had a nibble on his leg?!? Nonsense!

I thought the same, put it down to the dogs (alright! Dustin, Demidogs) being called off mid munch to protect the centre.

I thought the same, put it down to the dogs (alright! Dustin, Demidogs) being called off mid munch to protect the centre.

Yea true. That could be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Enjoyed it. Not as much as season 1. The last 2 episodes were great. Found it very hard to get through episode 7 which I thought was very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I am convinced that while
    Bob is being killed, Joyce is shouting 'Sean' and not 'Bob'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 paperandink

I am quite late to the party on this one, but hoping to start from the beginning soon... I guess from the posts, its a series worth catching...

py2006 wrote: »

No, she says Bob. Just checked to be sure :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

py2006 wrote: »
    That realisation that what when he stopped and smiled at her, he was a goner :(

• Advertisement

That realisation that what when he stopped and smiled at her, he was a goner :(

Even before that when the doctor said to him
    "You're nearly home". You could have written up the mass card there and then :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I liked season 2 a lot. There were a few puzzling moments like
    Dart not attacking Dustin and the others in the tunnel. Could really have done without that. No doubt a homage to the slew of 80s monster movies where one befriends the kids, but still.....

I am hoping the
    Billy stuff goes somewhere in season 3. Obviously his father is an eejit, and Billy himself is racist, so maybe they are planning to explore that more next time? The 80s was a time of one off episode specials dealing with violence, racism etc, so maybe there will be more human interest subplots next season mixed with the supernatural? I would not mind if that was the case, but it would need to be handled properly.

So
    Barb finally got justice!
    Others have said above that they may be heading towards an X-Men style thing, I really hope that is not the case because superhero movies do little for me and I would not like to see Stranger Things go down that route. There is, however, plenty of decent scope to be had with the likes of Eight going rogue, or one of the others going rogue. There are lots of places they can go from here
    and that would be why I can't wait until Season 3.

Bring it on! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

finished great stuff

Eps 6,8,9 are so good how it all flows like one long movie

I get ep7 was important for future seasons and elevens story but I will be leaving that one out of a rewatch in a couple of weeks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

anna080 wrote: »
    I don't get the hate for MBB in interviews. She's just a young kid having fun. She comes across pleasant and mannerly and I'd have that any day over some arrogant toss bag who thinks they're sh!t hot. It's a testament to her acting that people are so surprised and taken aback by the real her.

I haven't watched any s2 interviews. Let them get on with being kids. There's some rather creepy stuff about her on Twitter - sexualisation, etc. There's some pretty awful 'fans' out there.

https://twitter.com/shannonpurser/status/926996197973397505

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Finished Season 2 last night. Really enjoyed it. Some minor flaws, but flowed a lot better than Season 1, especially when it came to Eleven. Even her solo episode, while not a great episode by any stretch, was interesting. She was a far better character in general this season.

Bob was the best new character though. Sean Astin is great.

My biggest pet peeve though:
    When they were measuring points between Will's drawings on the walls. That f*cking pained me. I know Bob kept saying it wasn't exact, but it shouldn't have even been in the ballpark considering a) the drawings weren't all on the floor which means you lose a lot between going from floor to wall and b) they didn't even run the tape along the floor or wall when going around corners, just pulled it tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Penn wrote: »
    Finished Season 2 last night. Really enjoyed it. Some minor flaws, but flowed a lot better than Season 1, especially when it came to Eleven. Even her solo episode, while not a great episode by any stretch, was interesting. She was a far better character in general this season.

Bob was the best new character though. Sean Astin is great.

My biggest pet peeve though:
    When they were measuring points between Will's drawings on the walls. That f*cking pained me. I know Bob kept saying it wasn't exact, but it shouldn't have even been in the ballpark considering a) the drawings weren't all on the floor which means you lose a lot between going from floor to wall and b) they didn't even run the tape along the floor or wall when going around corners, just pulled it tight.

Thought it was great too, but I disagree on Eleven. Much better arc in season one, it felt like they didn't know what to do with her this season and episode seven was god awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Great season although episode seven was a total dud.

Really intrigued to see where they go with season three as I really hope they don't bury it.

This season did have some serious plot holes though that bordered on nonsensical but they seemed to generally just pull it back to keep it in check however one or two moments are still total headscratchers as to logic!

Can't look at Billy without seeing Zac Efrons face!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭Wailin

Up as far as episode 4 and really struggling. Finding it VERY tedious....but to fair, I thought season 1 was only alright anyway. Just don't get the fuss for this show at all and I grew up in the 80's and love the nostalgia.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I think the nostalgia factor is overstated tbh. I loved it and I wasn't an 80s kid.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,701 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Wailin wrote: »
    Up as far as episode 4 and really struggling. Finding it VERY tedious....but to fair, I thought season 1 was only alright anyway. Just don't get the fuss for this show at all and I grew up in the 80's and love the nostalgia.
    I'd stick with it the last two eps really kicked things up a notch for me.
    Love this show will definitely be watching series 3

Advertisement