Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

pixelburp wrote: »
    Can't help but wonder if the Starcourt setting was a ploy to link up with real world brands wanting to join the "yay, nostalgia" chicanery..

Gotta say, not a fan of the show.:eek: Blasphemy!

Maybe coz nostalgia just doesn't do it for me. I watched the season through to the end, coz it had enough quality production and good acting that I wanted to see where the first season would end.

The second season, as I've seen in the thread, hasn't had a great reviews, so it's no wonder I never I got past 2nd episode. Glad to see though that for fans of fantasy like this, season 3 seems to be back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,347 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Must say, I preferred this season over the second one. Liked the nostalgia, all of it was in the past for the viewers, but in the present for them. That's why I feel they could get away with it being so in the faces of the viewers.

Each episode flew by, thought the kids were very good again at playing the moody teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

3.7: :eek:
    If it hadn't been made clear by the last scene, the blood in the supermarket was a first hint that the monster might have infected Eleven. Not good considering she's the strongest superpowered member of team.

Lots in that episode though.
    The impact on Eleven (neck and leg) and Steve (interrogation and face beat) showing heavy.
    Jeez, Alexei.. start of season: do this or get Vadered. Mid: do this or get America'd. End of season: traitor death!
    Back to the Future!
    Elevens power again. Definitely past people by physicality now. Just monsters and mind games/trustfulness to worry about.
    Robin out of the closet now. Reminding me that maybe moment about Will from Mike and him talking earlier. Looks like Robin and Steve might get to Steve and Dustin level friends.
    The fun fair felt legit. Not sure what I can be drawing on for that. Maybe some in Ireland. There was one is Big (Tom Hanks) right?
    LOL at Murray having a go at Joyce and Hopper in the car and then him and Alexei having a laugh about it

Looks like they've figured out how to bring all together for the ending.
    Instead of a two location battle, I'm thinking.. fight in the mall.. leading into the Russian base and finishing up around the gate.

Finished! Good season overall. I'd rank it below the first but above the second season.

They pulled it all together well at the end there.
    A few more dropped hints for Billys past would've been better but they did enough. They pulled Hoppers history together using hints better in season 1.

3.8: For a second there, I thought
    the kids wouldn't be stuck in the mall but they covered it well using Billy. He was kinda left like a sentry outside. They also made it clear the monsters goal was to get Eleven. It's obviously spotted that absorbing her power would be a big boost.
    Pro: Suzie exists. Con: Awkward singing scene! But yeah I guess.. have it.
    DAMN that scene at the start before the opening credits! Cutting open Elevens leg. I needed the opening credits to recover from that!

The end:
    1. I refuse to believe Hopper is dead! That has got to be him in the Russian prison cell that they didn't open in the end credits scene!
    2. The whole separation of the two groups bit at the end. All change
    :(.
    Are we gonna be losing some of the familiar feel next season? I hope they can pull something good off.

Future:
    Roll on Season 4. They've got to expand beyond Hawkins though if there is gonna be a rescue mission to Russia. They'll need help from either the US Army or more like Eleven to get over there. IF she has her powers that is.

Venom wrote: »
    Season 4 is 100% confirmed.
    YUHHHSSHSSSSSSS!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

There is no chance netflix would cancel ST except for the kids getting too old. Id say we get at least 2 more seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

There is no chance netflix would cancel ST except for the kids getting too old. Id say we get at least 2 more seasons.

It's complicated. The Duffer Brothers have stated
    they want to end the show at season 4 so as not to outstay its welcome and end on a high note. Some Netflix exec spoke about how they would like to go 5 or 6 seasons.

Not really show spoiler info but greyed out just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

For all those who felt season 2 wasn't the greatest and up until last week I counted myself in that camp, rewatching both previous seasons to get back in the vibe for season 3, I found skipping season 2 episode 7 made a HUGE difference to the series overall as it removed all the craptastic characters that only existed to try and get a spin-off show up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Kids, especially boys that age when in a group ARE shouty and annoying though it is spot on IMO

It was more Joyce & Hopper I noticed it with tbh, to a lesser extent Nancy & Jonathan. The Hopper & Joyce argument in the elevator was bizarre considering the circumstances it felt just unnecessary & like I seen it before with the same character stopping it.

Unpopular opinion but I'm fine with just 3 seasons.
    The kids can't really pretend to not be adults much longer, I'd be ok if they jumped 4 or 5 years as the poor lads in those shorts looked ridiculous even for the 80's. I really don't want the cast expanding as it's the death knell for a lot of TV series when they run out of ideas. I know they'll do a 4th series where Hopper will have survived which probably won't make sense considering where he was standing, he'll end up with Joyce & Eleven will die saving the rest of the group one time too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Won’t post as spoiler tags not working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The exploding rats is the most disgusting thing I've ever seen on screen

Probably should add that I'm petrified of rats full stop

• Registered Users Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

pretty high death toll?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Max related spoiler
    who is looking after Max now?
    Her mother and Billy's father?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I enjoyed this season the least. So many moments that were obviously meant to be funny or endearing were just cringey and irritating (
    Dustin and his girlfriend singing, that f*cking Erica character...
    ).

The conflict between
    Eleven and Mike
    felt annoyingly contrived, along with plenty of the story in general. I no longer gave a f*ck about any of the characters after around the third episode, which is always a bad sign. I'm surprised this has been getting such good reviews.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

First time in a long time i’ve Enjoyed something. Really liked it. Some of it was ham but overall very good.

TV crashed at the end credits which is a bit. Had sound but no image. Sounded delightful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

godtabh wrote: »
    First time in a long time i’ve Enjoyed something. Really liked it. Some of it was ham but overall very good.

TV crashed at the end credits which is a bit. Had sound but no image. Sounded delightful!

You got to watch all the credits to the end

• Registered Users Posts: 23,163 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I genuinely wish I had Steve's hair.

Usually new characters being introduced a few seasons in tend to fall flat but Robin was great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Huh, that rare thing...some Netflix data.

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1148359444188712960

With no way of checking

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Finished it last night, last 4 episodes were much better than the first 4. If those figures are correct I'm sure there'll be a season 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

start your predictions for the nostalgia moments for 1986

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

Skerries wrote: »
    start your predictions for the nostalgia moments for 1986

Ohhh interesting

well they will have to reference
    ALF
    Miami Vice
    Silver spoons
    The A Team

Songs
    Madonna Papa dont preach (argument between Hopper and Eleven)
    The Bangles If she knew what she wants
    Van Halen Dreams (maybe spooky background to someone's nightmares)
    Madonna Live to tell (adventure scene)
    Kenny Loggins Danger Zone (someone in danger)
    Peter Gabriel sledgehammer (breaking in somewhere)
    janet jackson Nasty (appearance of monster)
    Simply red Holding back the years
    Billy Ocean There'll be sad songs (someone dies)

Movies
    Top Gun
    Aliens obvs
    Stand by Me done already maybe again
    Ferris Bueller's Day off
    Pretty in Pink
    Labyrinth
    Little Shop of Horrors
    Howard the Duck
    Highlander
    The Karate Kid II
    Critters
    Big trouble in Little China
    Poltergeist II
    The Transformers:the movie
    Rocky IV

Some of these will have to be referenced

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Dutchy

Product placement doesn't usually bother me but the Coca Cola, Burger King Thing detracted from my overall enjoyment. Sure to be a Series 5 and beyond if it's attracting investment of that Calibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Best season so far. Didn't like season two but this new one was great with a nice bit of gore.
    The Dusty duet must be the feel good moment of the decade in terms of TV/Film for me.

I find Eleven to be the most annoying character. Seems to be a terrible actor but the show is so great, I'll put up with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Dutchy wrote: »
    Product placement doesn't usually bother me but the Coca Cola, Burger King Thing detracted from my overall enjoyment. Sure to be a Series 5 and beyond if it's attracting investment of that Calibre.

What about Marlboro? I actually liked the old school obvious product placement. Kind of added to the whole retro feel. I can see how it could be annoying as well I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,163 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

How long can they be "kids" though? Would it not be better to do a 2 year break and then do a college-aged based season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

40M at the weekend. Box office would in excess of $400M were it a movie.

Twice the viewership of the top ranked TV shows on terrestrial TV. Not going anywhere.

Enjoyed season 3 myself. Got better as it went on.
    (You do feel they could call the state police a bit sooner perhaps).
    godtabh wrote: »
    With no way of checking

Not sure why they would lie.
    Best season so far. Didn't like season two but this new one was great with a nice bit of gore.
    The Dusty duet must be the feel good moment of the decade in terms of TV/Film for me.

I find Eleven to be the most annoying character. Seems to be a terrible actor but the show is so great, I'll put up with her.

Really? I think she was great.

Robin also very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Finished this in pretty much one sitting. Enjoyed it for the most part. Product placement was a bit in your face. Nice bit of nostalgia to it. Eleven annoys me a bit more so the way she speaks kind of broken english. It started to annoy me as to why Robin looked so familiar then I seen who her parents are. Steve has to be my favourite character now. Bring on season 4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I find Mike to be much more detestable bit Eleven seemed particularly stupid this season. That bit they're shopping and she asks "how do I know what I like?", I can't even put into words to express how ridiculous that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I find Mike to be much more detestable bit Eleven seemed particularly stupid this season. That bit they're shopping and she asks "how do I know what I like?", I can't even put into words to express how ridiculous that is.

Well if you think she is more or less hidden in the woods, with Hopper buying her clothes and its her first time in a mall, it is kind of understandable

Advertisement