Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,658 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

pinkypinky wrote:
    Very minor spoiler but

How is that a spoiler? She was clearly introduced as such in season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Really enjoyable season. can't wait for the next

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Loved this season but thought Erica was pointless and annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Like a few people on this thread and a lot more on the Netflix thread I'm surprised by how well this seasons is being received. Not that I've ever been the biggest fan of the show but the combination of nostalgia, high production values and a decent cast have always made it watchable. But this is the third time we've seen the exact same storyline and there are only 8 episodes a season. Surely the writers have a bit more imagination than that?

The biggest disappointment by far was the degradation of the Hopper character. In Seasons 1 and 2 he was a thoughtful man of action; not a genius but not a dope and willing to take calculated risks in order to protect the innocent. Now he's just a big baby with a boo boo who can't talk in a normal tone of voice anymore. It's just so lame and lazy. I get what they are going for with him and Joyce but this is well worn territory and you really need to write it well if it's going to feel fresh; I far preferred the will they/won't they aspect to their relationship when it was handled more gently.

But he's not the only character that's underwritten. Indeed, the fact that a minor character (Alexie) has emerged as a fan favourite for the season only highlights this; if your side characters are outshining many of the main cast, something's wrong.

The introduction of Robin is definitely a strong point of the season and I enjoyed the chemistry between her, Steve and Dustin, (less so Erica, who I've mixed feelings about) even though the idea of them being able to infiltrate a Soviet military facility was beyond ridiculous.

It's a shame Jonathan and Nancy are so poorly written now. One of the best things about Season 2 was seeing Steve come into his own; it was a real strength of the show that it could root itself firmly in the 80s whilst also overturning some of the tropes from that era. Steve is the jock we're all meant to hate but instead they write him three dimensionally and we end up rooting for him. They were able to write Hopper that well for two seasons too. And Robin gets the writers love this season. Why can't other characters get the same treatment? It's a shame the show has such great production values but so little going on underneath.

I have lots of small problems with this season too. :)

Dustin asks Erica for batteries and they both conveniently forget she's been wearing torches on her head for the last two episodes. Right at the season climax we get a duet from Dustin and Suzie; could have been cute or funny in another context but feels like a real dud of a pacing decision in its context. The number of scenes that end with a character crying another's name and an echo effect added to their voice.

I could go on but unlike Hopper's climactic scene, I won't. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    You sure it's 49 min in ?
    I don't know what scene you are talking about, was this before or after Hopper "left" ?

I might be off by minute or two. It was when
    Joy is trying to turn both keys at the same time, when Billy dies and Hopper is right beside the machine

I found a youtube clip showing the whole scene to explain the above the spoiler (obviously don't click if you haven't watched season 3, not embedding because title of vid is a spoiler). Bit I am referencing is approx 1 minute in:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLwaS9Tndpw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I might be off by minute or two. It was when
    Joy is trying to turn both keys at the same time, when Billy dies and Hopper is right beside the machine

I found a youtube clip showing the whole scene to explain the above the spoiler (obviously don't click if you haven't watched season 3, not embedding because title of vid is a spoiler). Bit I am referencing is approx 1 minute in:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLwaS9Tndpw

I didn't see it at the time , but I think you could be right that looks like els and maxs eyes under those masks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Is it not obvious that Hopper jumped through into the upside down ? it was right there at the end of the ramp he was standing on ,

In the after credit scene the Russia go to take the guy out of a cell and say no not the American (which the refer to hopper as earlier) then take the Russia guy and feed him to a Demogorgon ,

My bet is they got the Demogorgon from the upside down and when they when in there they got Hopper too ,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Is it not obvious that Hopper jumped through into the upside down ? it was right there at the end of the ramp he was standing on ,

In the after credit scene the Russia go to take the guy out of a cell and say no not the American (which the refer to hopper as earlier) then take the Russia guy and feed him to a Demogorgon ,

My bet is they got the Demogorgon from the upside down and when they when in there they got Hopper too ,

I don't think he did. Look at about 1.25 in the vid I linked a few posts up (showing that whole scene).
    The view turns to face the machine with the control room in the backroom (so the laser or whatever it is is pointing nearly at the camera). You can see that there is a ladder leading down and you can see at 2.32 that the hole is quite high up (the five people in Hazmat suits seem to be under the machine when they walk in the room at 1.00). It looks like the hole into the upside down is over a story up on the wall, so unless it retcons the height, I don't see how how could have gotten into it.
    There is also the problem that
    geography in the upside matched real world geography (remember Eleven getting out of the upside down at the start of season 2?) so it wouldn't make sense for Hopper to go in the upside down in the US and be end up in Russia

My guess is (speculation)
    Hopper also gets sent through time and ends up in the past, when the Russians had set up the machine under the starcourt but not fully turned it on. He is captured, tries to stop them from using the machine by warning about the monsters inside (hence they were prepared enough to capture a Demogorgon) and gets shipped off to Russia before the events of season 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

I didn't enjoy season 2 at all, I'm fact I struggled to finish it. Season 3 is a return to form, thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

So what was so bad about Season 2 for people? With the exception of the "spin off" episode I don’t see anyone explaining what issues they had with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Earthhorse wrote: »
    So what was so bad about Season 2 for people? With the exception of the "spin off" episode I don’t see anyone explaining what issues they had with it.
    I'm not entirely sure. It just felt a drag, I had to force myself to watch the next episode, whereas I binged season 1 and watched it again shortly after. Just after binging season 3 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

My theory now is that they have
    filmed nine episodes of series 3 (as they did for season 2) and we'll get a Christmas special where all the hints about time travel and about the kids getting together at Christmas will bring us to a different conclusion from the one we have at the moment. And that those five figures in hazmat suits will be important.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finished up and that was a much leaner, punchier beast than the saggier second season. Plot and character worked a little better, even if repetition is beginning to creep into the main arc & threat. You can see the increased attention this show gets through its obviously ramped up budget - particularly the previously mentioned, disgustingly brilliant FX.

I think for season 4 though they need to cut some of the fat: Robin and Erica were great additions but they only highlighted how redundant the two Byers boys have become. Jonathan is a non entity, and while Will's frustration at the gang growing up made a nice subplot, it didn't go anywhere. Nancy was fine, more of a conveyor belt for the plot than a character. But I suspect they'll all be back come season 4 'cos of the templated popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭De Bhál

watched S3.1 last night - good to have it back.
    80's overload at times, but a good start.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The last few felt like the show we know, I liked the balance too.
    Plus the Russians, ahh Alexei, Joyce in a uniform, and her scenes with Hopper in the lab, Dustin doing his best Doc Brown impression with the walkie talkie! Robin and Steve - that bathroom scene was just bloody marvellous. Poor Billy, really. They played a blinder (imo) with the final segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

on the build interview with natalie dyer she mentioned a vfx reveal video if her being chased by the monster in the hospital ( a guy in a suit with a silver helmt or ball) I havn't been able to find it. ah here it is https://beforesandafters.com/2019/07/23/stranger-things-3s-mind-flayer-was-played-by-a-stuntman-in-red-spandex-and-a-shiny-helmet/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Billy was one of the stars of the season imo. I thought the actor did an incredible job at balancing the menace of the Mind Flayer but also portraying something of an internal resistance and despair from Billy himself. Robin was also a great addition to the cast. She really gelled well with Steve and the bathroom scene between them was fantastic.

I really enjoyed this season. Joyce and Hopper had their moments but a lot of their scenes were poor compared to their previous seasons. Nancy and Will were relatively poor too, but were used sparingly enough that it was never an issue (though the performances of the newsroom staff were so over the top that it really took away from any impact those scenes should have had).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭De Bhál

De Bhál wrote: »
    watched S3.1 last night - good to have it back.
    80's overload at times, but a good start.

2 episodes left which hopefully might squeeze in tonight. Had to laugh at the Russian on the motorbike who was unashamedly a clone of The Terminator.

It's great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 32,701 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Penn wrote: »
    Billy was one of the stars of the season imo. I thought the actor did an incredible job at balancing the menace of the Mind Flayer but also portraying something of an internal resistance and despair from Billy himself. Robin was also a great addition to the cast. She really gelled well with Steve and the bathroom scene between them was fantastic.

I really enjoyed this season. Joyce and Hopper had their moments but a lot of their scenes were poor compared to their previous seasons. Nancy and Will were relatively poor too, but were used sparingly enough that it was never an issue (though the performances of the newsroom staff were so over the top that it really took away from any impact those scenes should have had).
    I agree with most of that tbh.
    The last couple of episodes were a riot.

I honestly think Will is the weak link acting wise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't think it's the actors fault, Will was a McGuffin in season 1, being the "lost" child everyone was searching for. Everyone else got character development while he hunkered in the Upside Down. I've seen some commentaries that he might be gay, with the big fight between him and Mike as a pointer, the latters "It's not my fault you don't like girls!" in particular a clue; but that's reading between the lines and not overt characterisation.

Ultimately, the cast is too big, it needs pruning. my picks would be Nancy, Jonathan, and Mike. Mike is the worst. Such a jerk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ultimately, the cast is too big, it needs pruning. my picks would be Nancy, Jonathan, and Mike. Mike is the worst. Such a jerk.
    I wish it had been the Wheelers who had moved away. Will would emerge out of Mike's shadow and get close to Eleven.

Nancy and Jonathan are the most boring on-screen couple. Mike is the most irritating character.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,038 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I don't think it's the actors fault, Will was a McGuffin in season 1, being the "lost" child everyone was searching for. Everyone else got character development while he hunkered in the Upside Down. I've seen some commentaries that he might be gay, with the big fight between him and Mike as a pointer, the latters "It's not my fault you don't like girls!" in particular a clue; but that's reading between the lines and not overt characterisation.

I assumed that was what was being implied by the fight. At first it seemed like Mike was just saying it, implying Will was too young, but Will's reaction seemed to say he told Mike he liked guys in confidence and Mike shouts it out like that.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I assumed that was what was being implied by the fight. At first it seemed like Mike was just saying it, implying Will was too young, but Will's reaction seemed to say he told Mike he liked guys in confidence and Mike shouts it out like that.

Oh same: it was all in the reaction from Schnapp, and I wonder if perhaps there was more of this left on the pages of the script. I'd also read that the actor playing Max wasn't comfortable acting out the romantic material from Season 2, so maybe the Duffers are playing it safe for the time being with the heavy emotional changes.

F*cking Mike though. I dunno if this is going to be another Redemption Arc ala Steve, cos it's taking ages to happen. He always was an impulsive, angry little sh*t, but there's no sign of the show actually pushing back against him. Kid needs a wakeup.

Dustin, Steve, Robin and Erica: if I were running Season 4, that's who'd be the core group. Everyone else has become secondary. Even Eleven, who is the cast's "We win" button when the script requires it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Oh same: it was all in the reaction from Schnapp, and I wonder if perhaps there was more of this left on the pages of the script. I'd also read that the actor playing Max wasn't comfortable acting out the romantic material from Season 2, so maybe the Duffers are playing it safe for the time being with the heavy emotional changes.

I read an interview with the actor that plays Mike and he said they did several takes of that scene and in some he said "yet" at the end of that sentence. He basically said they're not sure if the Duffers will do anything with it in regards Will's sexuality. It could also just be a reference to the fact Will is sort of in arrested psychological development after what happened in S1.
    If they did do multiple takes and the Duffers chose the one with no "yet" in it though, it would imply they're leaving that option open.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Dustin, Steve, Robin and Erica: if I were running Season 4, that's who'd be the core group. Everyone else has become secondary. Even Eleven, who is the cast's "We win" button when the script requires it.

I'd try and create a situation where Eleven isn't the answer. She's still needed as part of the gang but she's not the target and she's not the ultimate weapon that wins it for them.

Seeing Will in interviews for Season 3, I wouldn't recognise him. Might just be the hair. Or likely, like the rest of them, puberty hit. For all but Mike. Everyone else looks a bit different while Mike looks the same except stretched a bit.

As for the scene, I think they didn't concentrate too much on it since not long after, we got the Steve and Robyn scene.

Also, dunno if I said this, but from interviews Finn Wolfhard seems the least likeable of the group. Just comes across as cocky while the others just seem to enjoy what they're doing. Maybe the fact he's getting more roles is a reason

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I'd try and create a situation where Eleven isn't the answer. She's still needed as part of the gang but she's not the target and she's not the ultimate weapon that wins it for them.

Maybe that's what they're planning for S4. At the end of this season, Eleven had more or less lost her powers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Also, dunno if I said this, but from interviews Finn Wolfhard seems the least likeable of the group. Just comes across as cocky while the others just seem to enjoy what they're doing. Maybe the fact he's getting more roles is a reason

His cockiness is absolutely majestic in "It", so I'm happy to give him a pass for it. :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Just posting here in case any of you have missed it but The Boys on Prime is fantastic, Jack Quaid (Meg Ryan and Dennis Quaids son is in it and brilliant (bit like Robyn you are looking going you look familiar!)).

• Advertisement

His cockiness is absolutely majestic in "It", so I'm happy to give him a pass for it. :D

Seth Green did it better. :pac:

Advertisement