Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Seth Green did it better. :pac:

Did not know this!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Did not know this!!!!!
    Original IT mini series.
    Tim Curry's Pennywise was also better I thought.

S4 should be interesting, given how S3 ended

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Original IT mini series.
    Tim Curry's Pennywise was also better I thought.

S4 should be interesting, given how S3 ended

There is heavy nods to IT this season, close to plagiarism at times.
    Mindflayer looking very similar to Pennywises true form

My feels were hit by
    Hopper's letter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Just finished last two tonight.
    Very good show. Great fun.

Felt it wasn't as dark as the other two. lots of running around being followed by a monster with lots of love scenes. Classic 80's stuff.
    Bloody sand in my eye at the end.

Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Those scenes from Season 1 stick out a mile in terms of quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I loved Stranger Things - Season One

It was like The Goonies meets Super 8, ET and Cloverfield.

One of the best series I've ever seen.

There are some great characters - Hopper, Mr. Clarke and Steve especially.

Seasons Two and Three dipped as the battles were rehashed over and over again.

It would have been more interesting if new adventures faced them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I didn't see it at the time , but I think you could be right that looks like els and maxs eyes under those masks

Just finished watching it as I had to finish off another series.

I am not sure about this theory. Just after the screen goes black as the explosion happens (around 50mins into final episode) we see a split second scene where a few people in hazmats (under the device I think) get obliterated by the explosion. I think they are the same people you might be referring as potential time travellers (if I'm interpreting the theory correctly)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

Something I noticed in the last episode of season 3 (season 4 speculation):
    When the key machine cutting into the upside down is overloading in the Russian base, 5 people walk in in purple hazmat suits and just stare at it, with camera lingering on them, but only their eyes visible (49 mins in). They all look pretty young to me, with the person front looking like a fair-skinned (possibly redheaded?) girl. With the speculation about time travel in next season, I'm wondering if those 5 where five of the kids somehow come back in time, the girl maybe being Max. Maybe, the key machine, which can cut through space into the upside down, can cut through time too?

I think you're bang on. They are all very young, particularly the three that the shot zooms on. I think the one on the right is Robin. They're not part of the Russians, in that they are not trying to stop Joyce, but rather witness that she's managing to shut it down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, the fact these hazmat folks were obliterated does make me question the theory; unless it's a fakeout and the obliteration was actually them being sent through time again (cos the fakeout disintegration is a tried & tested trope of SciFi).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

There will almost definitely be a large element of time travel in the next season, I'll outline why I think so below...

Most obviously Back to the future is featured heavily in season 3 and the Montauk project (supposed US government MK Ultra related project that used young boys as test subjects for remote viewing etc on which stranger things is based) is supposedly linked to the equally mind boggling Philadelphia experiment which took place during WW2. Supposedly the two intersect each other via a time loop created by the alleged real world counterparts of the eleven character.
    Why this is something I feel will be relevant, you may remember the soon to be absorbed towns people under the abandoned factory at the end of one of the episodes (I can't remember the number) mindlessly singing "We'll meet again" by Vera Lynn which was a popular song from the WW2 era which has no place in a 1980's nostalgia fest like Stranger Things.

Seeing the back to the future references were so strong and the completely out of place use of a 1940's era song in the 1980's setting married to the link between the two conspiracy theories the show is based on it would be a logical conclusion to assume a heavy time travel element for season 4, we got commies in season 3,we may get some u boat time travelling Nazis in season 4 (with some create license taken over the already bizarre philidelphia experiment story).

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

nullzero wrote: »
    There will almost definitely be a large element of time travel in the next season, I'll outline why I think so below...

Most obviously Back to the future is featured heavily in season 3 and the Montauk project (supposed US government MK Ultra related project that used young boys as test subjects for remote viewing etc on which stranger things is based) is supposedly linked to the equally mind boggling Philadelphia experiment which took place during WW2. Supposedly the two intersect each other via a time loop created by the alleged real world counterparts of the eleven character.
    Why this is something I feel will be relevant, you may remember the soon to be absorbed towns people under the abandoned factory at the end of one of the episodes (I can't remember the number) mindlessly singing "We'll meet again" by Vera Lynn which was a popular song from the WW2 era which has no place in a 1980's nostalgia fest like Stranger Things.

Seeing the back to the future references were so strong and the completely out of place use of a 1940's era song in the 1980's setting married to the link between the two conspiracy theories the show is based on it would be a logical conclusion to assume a heavy time travel element for season 4, we got commies in season 3,we may get some u boat time travelling Nazis in season 4 (with some create license taken over the already bizarre philidelphia experiment story).

I agree on the Vera Lynn song, that jarred immediately and I was trying to figure out why it was in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah, the fact these hazmat folks were obliterated does make me question the theory; unless it's a fakeout and the obliteration was actually them being sent through time again (cos the fakeout disintegration is a tried & tested trope of SciFi).

It did make me question it at first, but they seem to be totally obliterated with no remains, so I'm confident that it's at least possible for the story to go that way.

To go even wilder with my speculation, assuming the next season does turn out to be about time travel:
    I think it's possible that the Upside-Down is actually the future and the Mind-Flayer is another psychic child experiment, gone completely nuts and destroyed the world.
    Maybe it's a Russian subject, put under more extreme tests (and therefore more inhumanly monstrous and powerful), Hopper in the Russian prison sees it and realises what it is and somehow gets back to the States to warn everyone. The kids realise that this means the Upside-Down is the future and this means Eleven can therefore open time portals and they have to go back in time to stop it all (maybe the Russian experiments are based on the US ones and they realise they need to stop all of it from ever happening to save the world).

Or maybe they are, in some other way, circling the realisation that the Upside-Down is actually the future and the Mind-Flayer is/was a human, when something happens to Mike and Eleven goes mad and turns into the Mind Flayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

https://twitter.com/stranger_things/status/1178701041333886976?s=21

I’m sorry it’s not much but it is an official post and gives a clue as to where no 4 is going

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The clock noises presumably more heavy hinting that time-travel will figure in the story.

Calling it now: we're going to see a return of Bob, at the very least; can't involve time travel in a show like this without the obvious potential for Back to the Future 2 riffing on "avoiding previous versions of yourself" scenarios.

heavy hinting that time-travel

Great Scott!!! This is gonna be 1985 based! :eek:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_the_Future
    Back to the Future is a 1985 American science-fiction film

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The clock noises presumably more heavy hinting that time-travel will figure in the story.

Calling it now: we're going to see a return of Bob, at the very least; can't involve time travel in a show like this without the obvious potential for Back to the Future 2 riffing on "avoiding previous versions of yourself" scenarios.

I'd go with the clock noises being big ben and it's going to be set in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Slydice wrote: »
    Great Scott!!! This is gonna be 1985 based! :eek:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_the_Future

No, this season just gone was 1985 based. BTTF was referenced by being on in the cinema towards the end of the series plus Steve trying badly to list it as one of his favourite films at the very end.

flazio wrote: »
    No, this season just gone was 1985 based. BTTF was referenced by being on in the cinema towards the end of the series plus Steve trying badly to list it as one of his favourite films at the very end.

oooh, 1986 films eh? ...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_in_film
    Aliens
    Top Gun
    Platoon
    Labyrinth
    The Transformers: The Movie
    Stand by Me

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Stand By Me was definitely referenced a few times in Season 1. :)

Will byers went missing on this day in 1983

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Season 3 was tiresome and stale. Future is bright for Gaten Matarazzo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

• Registered Users Posts: 43,879 ✭✭✭✭Basq

py2006 wrote: »
    Well, that's
    hardly a suprise!

The Duffers clarified that nobody on the production was sick or displaying symptoms, it was a precautionary measure while the see how things pan out.

Begs the question how much with the kids was filmed; growth spurts being as they are, it could be a big wrench in the narrative. Could require some hasty re-scripting & time jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,217 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Robert Englund and Jamie Campbell Bower join

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Robert Englund and Jamie Campbell Bower join

Unless he's joining as Freddie Kruger that's nothing much to be excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Quazzie wrote: »
    Unless he's joining as Freddie Kruger that's nothing much to be excited about.

Well, somebody has their moody knickers on today!

• Advertisement

I had been thinking of this only the other day: how long has this been delated in shooting? You'd have to wonder if the kids have aged themselves out of their respective roles - even from the simple point of view of internal continuity within the season.

Advertisement