Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

As I remember it .. it was that USA thing from TV so... feels right to me

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I saw something recently that said the USSR ran out of Pepsi once and because their money was no good Pepsi took several warships as payment for a shipment. So peanut butter as contraband isn't that far fetched.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I have to say I really like the split, the timing is perfect in the story and I love having enough content to binge for a weekend, without that mixture of feeling guilty and sad (that I have to wait 2 years for the next content) afterwards.

Week by week episodes usually end up with me losing interest after 2 or 3 and just bingeing the rest later

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's a bit of a urban myth, that Pepsi briefly owned a bunch of warships and was the 6th largest navy in the world.

I was sure it was a QI tweet I read it from but I can't find it now. They've been wrong before mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Just finished episode 7 & I loved every bit of that season.

Haven't enjoyed a 4th season of anything as much since The Wire, that's high praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,556 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 29,038 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I saw that trailer being posted everywhere today but they had a part 2 trailer at the end of Volume 1. Or was that only added recently since I only finished Volume 1 on Monday and saw it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

No that trailer was released on Sunday I think

I... I eh.. don't think I need to watch anymore trailers.. for just like.. two episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 3 and I found myself wondering if there was some meta commentary going on; specifically, when Murray kept asking of Jonathon's stoner friend, "Who are you?". My feeling precisely Murray, can't recall his name and he seems utterly superfluous, and a limp cliché at best.

Otherwise, good escalation of threat and stakes, with some fun interactions between the various pods of the cast. Still too many of them but the little vignettes hit the mark most of the time. God damn Lucas though, that ain't cool. His subplot of being torn between cliques just ain't working for me, so his mistakes make me hate him, not sympathise.

I know it's set a few decades ago, but could the cops really legally arrest, question and detain a minor with no interference back then?

I was listening to John Oliver the other day, about cops being posted in schools; one of the many crappy stories was of a 5 year old (who was autistic IIRC, some degree of cognitive issue anyway) arrested for "battery" cos during an involuntary episode, they struck the officer. So yeah I'd totally believe they might arrest a high schooler - and she did totally brain the other girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,749 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Pretty sure it happened a fair bit in The Wire. Obviously also just TV but very accurate TV. End of the day anything is believable in Murica.

An authority figure back then abusing their powers sounds right

(sentence could probably work without "back then")

Oh I know it was done, but that's why I added "legally". I guess if she's too scared and unknowledgeable to say anything and everyone is stopped from seeing her, they can do what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

After season After Show interviews with the cast and more importantly The Duffer brothers at the beginning which is interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Will_Ray

Joyce & Hopper cool!!! waiting for July

Question for something I probably missed: Why is no one from the group looking for 11?

Sure that's what Mike's group is doing. They got the phone number/internet number for the place Eleven is and so went to Suzie to find out the location.

As the poster above says, that's what Mike and Co are doing, but my issue with that is it feels completely unnecessary. Sure they think Eleven needs rescuing but with her powers back she's presumably headed back to Hawkins now, so that whole storyline becomes redundant and feels even more like filler just to give that handful of characters something to do. Whatever is going on with Will is the only part of it that feels like it's important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭victor8600

I enjoyed the first season, but the stopped watching the second after couple of episodes, it got way too scary and esoteric for me. Is the show mellowing out later?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,701 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That kinda went how I was expecting (season 4 episode 7).

Still hugely enjoyable but still really overly long episodes. Some storylines a lot less compelling than others, the whole Russian side was poor.

Last episode just totally dropped one of the storylines which was odd! How are they getting on with Dustin's nerdy girlfriend?! I kind of thought that group were underserved as a whole bar the shoot out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Started out not liking it and ended up really enjoying it. The last two made up for the previous bloated and drawn out episodes. That guy who plays young Vecna is a pretty decent actor

• Registered Users Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So good looks like there will be a time jump for season 5 and the Brothers have a lot of the season mapped out already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Set in modern times, with Uma Thurman as Robin, Nathan Fillion as Steve, Chris Rock as Lucas, Emma Stone as Max....

I'm kidding but I could see those actors in those roles.

Not sure there's quite that big an age gap between Lucas and Max .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Emma's good at playing older. Could be a bit of fun while we wait for the last 2 episodes,

Dream cast actors to play modern day Stranger Things characters.

Spoiler for the Fear Street films - Sadie Sink's character is played as an adult by Gillain Jacobs. Not a very obvious choice, but I think that was deliberately done.

Depends on how much time they were skipping but I think Sophie Turner for Max?

Regardless of who he might be playing, given the show's inspirations, it'd be a shame not to work in more old heads from the era. Chiefly, Bruce Campbell playing an older version of Steve, perhaps. To be sure, Campbell's age means it'd be one helluva time-jump - but sure then we can call it a homage to "It" as well 😂

• Advertisement

I think you'd have to do a big time jump to recast everyone. I mean the older teens are all knocking on for 30 at this stage, so why not bring it right up to 2022 and have them all in their late 50s.

Advertisement