Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

Options

Comments

This probably one of the rare times I will say this but I wish they hadn't released these all in one go. After 2 episodes I think I'd actually be enjoying it even more if I was left to stew it for a week before the next one and enjoy the chat here between episodes. Great so far but abandoning a binge watch to soak it up and think about it for a day or 2 .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

This probably one of the rare times I will say this but I wish they hadn't released these all in one go. After 2 episodes I think I'd actually be enjoying it even more if I was left to stew it for a week before the next one and enjoy the chat here between episodes. Great so far but abandoning a binge watch to soak it up and think about it for a day or 2 .

Yeah, up to about episode 3 feels grand to take a break from the show.

Maybe setting yourself up like this will help with taking breaks from the episodes after Episode 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Maybe Netflix should consider releasing the better shows 1 ep a week, It would definitely create a lot more buzz around the show.

Love another of their shows I really enjoyed and kinda binged would have been better more drawn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,556 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

You do know you can just watch one episode a week if you want ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

pc7 wrote:
    Myself and himself have been chatting and wondering if we hadn't grown up in the 80s would we love it as much? Any non 80s (non et, goonie loving peeps) enjoying it.

Early 90s myself and am loving it
    Then again having an older brother and pretty much getting all his toys etc.. Adds to it a bit.

I'm only 2 episodes in taking it slow to savor it.

I think what's so great about it is it's different to everything else that's on tv recently most of it is either zombies or futuristic while this is different and going back to good roots of the 80s

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Slydice wrote: »
    I'd say keep watching, it becomes clearer. More in the next spoiler below if ya really want but it might be spoilery on ya
    It sealed itself back up.

Yeah, I remembered that after I posted. I watched that episode earlier today and for some reason I find it hard to see a lot when it's dark on the TV but bright in the room, so I wasn't sure if that's what I was actually seeing.

Finished it there now.....

Really just a phenomenally good show. I didn't have a problem paying the slight increase in Netflix fees anyway but I'd happily pay a bit more if all their originals were as good as this. Everything about it was perfect, writing, acting, score, sets, effects, casting... how good was the casting!! Essentially 4 lead kids + Will and every single one of them was brilliant. Casting kids can be a tricky business, they can be very annoying and stage schooly.

If you've finished it....
    I full on bawled my eyes out several times throughout the 8 episodes but got full on snotty in the last episode. That kid playing Eleven is phenomenal.

Question.

What does the Chief leaving food in the woods mean? Is Eleven still alive in the normal world? Or is she in The Upsidedown but can come out occasionally?

Also, what the eff is happening with Will?

How long does it usually be before we find out if a Netflix original gets a second series?

P.S.
    Poor Barb :D

Yeah, I remembered that after I posted. I watched that episode earlier today and for some reason I find it hard to see a lot when it's dark on the TV but bright in the room, so I wasn't sure if that's what I was actually seeing.

Finished it there now.....

Really just a phenomenally good show. I didn't have a problem paying the slight increase in Netflix fees anyway but I'd happily pay a bit more if all their originals were as good as this. Everything about it was perfect, writing, acting, score, sets, effects, casting... how good was the casting!! Essentially 4 lead kids + Will and every single one of them was brilliant. Casting kids can be a tricky business, they can be very annoying and stage schooly.

If you've finished it....
    I full on bawled my eyes out several times throughout the 8 episodes but got full on snotty in the last episode. That kid playing Eleven is phenomenal.

Question.

What does the Chief leaving food in the woods mean? Is Eleven still alive in the normal world? Or is she in The Upsidedown but can come out occasionally?

Also, what the eff is happening with Will?

How long does it usually be before we find out if a Netflix original gets a second series?
    We don't know why he's leaving food in the woods but I would say it's lightly she is in the upside down world and can slip back and fourth, The last time we seen her she was being engulfed by the monster she destroyed, she may be alive but in what form who knows.

Will has been used as host by the monster to reproduce, He's coughing up baby monsters from another dimension all over the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Halfway through 3 and, man, this is exceptional. Apart from the odd hairstyle they've completely nailed the 80's.

P.S.
    Poor Barb :D
    No one gives a feck about Barb

• Advertisement

No one gives a feck about Barb

Exactly my point. They might as well have had a scene at the end where they literally said
    Should someone talk to Barb's parents?.... nah, f**k it. :D

The one issue I have with shows being released all at once, especially ones like this, is that it does make it hard to discuss it episode by episode. You can watch it at whatever pace you choose but chances are whoever you're discussing it with is watching at a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

This was fantastic. Extremely satisfying.

Exactly my point. They might as well have had a scene at the end where they literally said
    Should someone talk to Barb's parents?.... nah, f**k it. :D
    That was actually Barbs foster Mom we seen earlier, both her parents died years ago in separate airline crashes on the same day,I mean what are the chances?, It's OK though as no one gave a feck about them eitherðŸ˜

That was actually Barbs foster Mom we seen earlier, both her parents died years ago in separate airline crashes on the same day,I mean what are the chances?, It's OK though as no one gave a feck about them eitherðŸ˜
    She was never really there, that's why Steve's friend didn't know who Nancy was talking about when she asked if they'd seen her :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Was planning to just watch episode 4 & 5 tonight, but damn they went an upped the ante at the end of every episode and I had to just keep going, hence why I'm posting at 4am having finished this amazing series. It actually played like a 7/8 hour film essentially moreso than a series.

Absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭ondafly

This show was excellent. ET meets Fright Night meets The Goonies. The soundtrack was excellent and the use of Moby fitted even if its not from the 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 43,878 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Playlist on Spotify for those who are interested..

.. unfortunately, none of the excellent score!

EDIT: Though someone made a nice little extended version of theme tune!

There's a great interview here with Shawn Levy and Dan Cohen who are the producers on the show. They talk about how they came to be involved in it, how Netflix got involved, a bit about the filming process and possible plans for a second season. There's no spoilers.

http://collider.com/shawn-levy-dan-cohen-stranger-things-interview/

It sounds like Netflix are great to work with and we probably knew it already but Network TV in the States is going to have to seriously overhaul itself or risk dying off completely. I think the recent Emmy nominations would back that up too. Very little love for Network shows.

Interestingly enough I think The CW are probably the most forward thinking of the main networks in that they have started reducing episode numbers for some series and trying to tell a more structured story while still having the 22 episode shows running throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Finished this series in 2 days! Unreal show!!

Same here, couldn't stop watching. Loved Dustin :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Netflix put this up. It's not really spoilery.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Loved the show, binge watched it and finished it last night.

From the awesome score that sets a really familiar 80s tone, to the general feel of the programme. I watched most of them until 4am Sunday morning it was just really good storytelling.

Part of me hopes they don't make a season 2 purely because it was a uniquely enjoyable watch. But another part of me wants more.

Put it on tonight and currently watching the 4th show..
    Finding it really hard to turn off...

Amazing, really love the music..

I'm jealous of all the people who haven't finished yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I've just started ep 6. I'm still gobsmacked at how epic it is on nearly every level. It feels like its been years in the making. I honestly haven't been this drawn in to a horror/super natural movie/show since I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's drenched in 80's nostalgia and yet I never once felt like anything was wedged in, or overplayed for the sake of it. Very impressed feat across an entire series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Started watching this at around 3/4 and I'm just after finishing it.

My god, it was just spectacular. Felt more like an 8hr movie rather than a series. The finale was brillaint as well and no doubt it has the potential to continue the storyline for season 2.

Netflix really should stop releasing their series out at once because it's unhealthy for me. Especially when it's on a glorious day like today and I just basked myself in bed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭headnorth

Was a good show, really liked it, watched it over 1 night and finished this morning.

Just watch the opening sequence of Halloween 4 and it sets the mood for this and for the mid-west in america in the 80's(huge leap)

Google www youtube.com/watch?v=7nwMfSdlj7Y

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 3 now; the first dip in the pace for me, where at lot of the running time felt like checking on various characters and moving the furniture a little (literally in the case of Joyce :D) But then that ending, wow! I didn't see that coming and that was a masterful way to sidefooting any audience member playing guessing games. I thought I was beginning to piece together a theory, now it's back to square 1!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

One of the best shows ive seen in a while, going to give it another watch over the weekend again because it took me by surprise the first time and i flew through the episodes

Advertisement