Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

But why do you want to watch season 4? Keeping up with friends or something? It’s a great show, but watch it from the start when you have time, or don’t. Your decision really

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

just feel like there's an awful lot of noise about it and wanted to check if it is possible to jump in late.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

No, if you want in you’ll have to watch from the start. If you haven’t been tempted yet, it mightn’t be the show for you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jumping in now at season 4 is no different to jumping into a book, film, or any other TV show many chapters, sequels or seasons ahead - nothing will make sense and you'll spend most of your time wondering who the F anyone is and why they're doing X.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Season 1 it is then, on the run up to Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,746 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If you are willing to watch S4 only then just watch S1 only and save the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭flazio

OK Spoilers for earlier seasons. I know "The Lost Sister" wasn't a very popular episode of season 2, but surely Kali/008 should have featured in this story? Was there any child that matched her ethnicity in the flashbacks?

I feel like 8 has been written out of history.

Bit of a misstep plot that went nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think they wrote themselves into a slight corner there. If Kali was there, she should have either been with the others and killed by Vecna, or if she wasn't in that room she still would had to have known what 11 did and what happened (11 lost her memories of the event, but Kali wouldnt have). But there was no mention or any hints to it in Season 2.

I'd have to rewatch season 2 with that in mind to see if there's any way of explaining it. Kali is older, so maybe she'd already left by then.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Am I wrong in saying we still don't actually know how 11 got out of the lab?

I think we saw her take the route that Henry showed her, but that happened in September, she didn't escape until November, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I don't remember them showing how she escaped, wasn't she in a coma after the incident with Henry and she lost her memories. Surely she would have forgotten about the escape route Henry showed her?

I don't know. I'm pretty sure we saw Hopper in S1 or S2 looking into the end of a big pipe, like the one Henry showed her inside the lab. So I assumed that was how she got out, but the circumstances around it are still a mystery. And you're right, if she forgot about Henry completely she would have forgotten that too. So still some unanswered questions there. Although they're possibly irrelevant at this stage in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

There is a double meaning there but that is also heavy handed.

I do agree Mike isn't actually the heart of the group but it's clear that was what they wanted us to think of him as. Really, I would say he was originally the leader of the group (of four) but that role has very much receded for him now. They couldn't actually successfully write him as being at the heart of things and they also weren't brave enough to write him out of proceedings so instead they have to insist that he is.

I also agree that Will and El's friendship is more moving than any interaction between her and Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Overall I have to see I was a little disappointed with this season of Stranger Things. I was under the impression that this was going to be the final season until I saw the last episode so maybe it felt just anticlimatic in that context.

Even though it was still fairly good, my main complaints are similar to what's been said already:

- Episodes dragged out.

- Carrying too many weak characters/storylines.

- Almost feels repetitive at this point, I know the whole nostalgia/80s thing is a major selling point and arguably the reason I loved the show, but every episode just feels predictable or that we've seen it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Dragged at times but loved it, a feast for the eyes and ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The took the lowest hanging fruit in terms of deaths & that really disappointed me ,

Otherwise fantastic programme for what it is & just brilliant entertainment,

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Loved Eddie I have to say. Hoppers ankles seem to have healed up real quickly!

Meanwhile Dustin fell about 3 feet and was still limping 2 days later 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement

The girl who played Chrissy is the daughter of Casper Van Dien of Starship Troopers fame. She's also the great granddaughter of Robert Mitchem!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The link is dead now on the first page, but anyone go back and watch the Season 1 trailer? Good lord maybe it's just how the trailer is cut, but it looks like such a smaller, much more mysterious show. Just a little less bombastic. And needless to say, all the kids look about a bajillion years younger...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,701 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Zero surprise on that like I said earlier in the thread Netflix are not going to want to let it finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Binged the whole S4 over the weekend ha - I agreed with the general reception this is quite a good season but I actually think S3 is the best season for me ha.

So first of all this Dolby Vision thing is amazing, sitting through the whole thing really gives me some movie class experience. So ya visuals wise pretty good (well budget and mostly practical effects and they are the highest production yet of all seasons to date?), except maybe ya when the limbs get snapped they look CG.

Plot and pacing - ya...anyone can see that this whole thing could use some editing - we could well cut out at least 2 episodes for all the (serious) fillers and drags on. I think this is the main reason why I think S3 is better - I thought the team gets better after S1/2 on the pacing issues, they did show improvement for S3. But overall is alright because I don't mind to actually see the (main) characters do things on screen which comes to my next point..

Characters - obviously the characters are too many at this point for the whole thing 🤣I won't go into that (like do we really need Argyle??). So for the main cast (the characters took majority of the screen time in S1/2/3), you can feel that Duffer brothers actually love their characters and care about their developments ha.

I actually enjoy and compliment that they put different pairing/team up of these (fan favourite) characters for different missions at different time point - not only it is a fun thing to watch for the fans (the best kind of fan service really), this is a 'smart' way to actually use these characters that they developed over the years (and again I think they actually enjoy doing that lol). I said 'smart' because this is like story telling/characters building 101 but somehow most of the shows/films out there cant even do this remotely right - this is literally 'how to flesh out characters' and I am glad they did it so well (well yeah for all past 3 seasons). Like Max's flashbacks with El actually meant something to the viewers (and also the boys' moments from S1/2 for example).

It is also so surprising that the show earns my respect easily here and there by not spoon feeding the audience (ie respect the audience) at some critical moments. Highlights to me are: during the last moment of Papa (still tried to bullcrap El on his intention), how Steve used to be stereotypical douchebag back then and he really grew but Eddie didn't know ha, and many subtle moments for things here and there (well not even close to those best TV shows level but good **** nonetheless).

All in all, it would be a shame to not see a couple of more other seasons purely because I actually like many characters of this show. But ya hope the plot of next season can have (at least) this level of well thought out like S4 and work on the pacing/editing (god helps them). It is a nice world they created with all these characters and I truly admire Duffer brothers/team's effort and passion into everything for their project.

Does he love "mike" or is that just a typo 🤭

Finished up, finally; the last two episodes' feature length necessitated a couple of attempts. Won't say more than that cos the episodes' lengths have been well covered. Man though, the Duffer Brothers really love their smash cuts: door opens, boom; radio placed on table, boom; Play a drinking game where you drink at every scene transition using that cut and you'll be blackout in moments. No question though, this is Netflix's marquee production; half their blockbuster movies look like crap, while this always had excellent FX.

The idea of breaking out the now enlarged cast into their own subgroups made a lot of sense in the end, but some worked far better than others - the Russian prison dragged more often than it intrigued and Murray was about the only saving grace there for me. While the pizza van was just ugggggh, interminable. Pizza Stoner Dude, whose name I'm too lazy to Google, was a completely pointless addition - and a plain irritating stereotype. That he lived while Eddie died? Bullshít on that one. And leaving the fate of Max undecided was a neat choice.

And while overall the show lacks a certain sense of peril, Knowing next season is the last means it's a fair bet the bodies will start dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Eddie Munson has a real Damien Echols feel to him, Must be based or at least inspired by him ?

Not sure if anyone is familiar with the ,West of Memphis documentary about 3 young boys who went out for a cycle one day and where found murdered in the local creek , 3 local teen misfits who where into heavy metal and the occult got blamed & served 20 odd years with little or no evidence, basically it wasn't them ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

One Upside Down to real world communication bugged me in Season 4:

The Lite Brite scene is episode 7 makes no sense. I loved that toy when I was a kid and know the original has only one light bulb that illuminates the entire board. There is no light source per hole. The Christmas lights and lamps make sense because those bulbs are powered by electricity individually.

Advertisement