Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

Options

Comments

If Netflix keeps producing content like this, then I have seriously no issue with their fees increase. Absolutely phenomenal.

The soundtrack, the acting (so good to see Wyona Ryder again!), the kids, the music, the .. just everything.

Definitely one of the better shows that I've ever seen and Netflix is potentially becoming a HBO killer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

If Netflix keeps producing content like this, then I have seriously no issue with their fees increase. Absolutely phenomenal.

The soundtrack, the acting (so good to see Wyona Ryder again!), the kids, the music, the .. just everything.

Definitely one of the better shows that I've ever seen and Netflix is potentially becoming a HBO killer.

Netflix seem to have a really good way of working on their original content. And by original content I mean stuff they actually commission themselves, not stuff they buy to distribute after it's been made.

In the interview I linked a few days ago with the 2 producers of Stranger Things two things stand out to me.

1 - The Duffer Brothers were very picky about who they hired in every department. They seemed to have a lot of input/control over every aspect of production.

2 - Netflix are very hands off. There were 2/3 Netflix executives involved, 2/3 people from the production company, and then the Duffers. Netflix weren't breathing over their shoulder all the time, they weren't sending people to set, they didn't ask to see dailies or even finished episodes until the last minute, which meant the Duffers could come back and change things or fix things if the needed right up to the last minute. They didn't even do test screenings or get audience reactions before presenting the finished product. Those people mentioned above saw some of the episodes and the cast/crew saw the first two episodes at a screening party about a week before it was all on Netflix. There was practically zero outside influence.

Basically what it boils down to is that the people with the creative vision are allowed to create exactly what it is they set out to create without having to please anyone but themselves. Now I'm sure there's a lot of work involved on Netflix's part when it comes to finding the right projects and the right people to work with but once they do they seem to trust them entirely to deliver it.

This is something you just don't get with Network TV and arguably as things like HBO and Showtime became the places people looked to for quality TV the same problems could arise there, as indeed it could with Netflix eventually.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

O.k. thoroughly enjoyed that but one question/comment.
    Did Hopper really give up the location to where Eleven was? Seems very out of character for a guy who lost his daughter. I'm hoping/assuming that there will be more explanation on what his deal was and why he got in the car near the end. Did I miss something?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

went and checked the list of songs from the series
    it's here: http://www.whats-on-netflix.com/other/stranger-things-soundtrack-complete-song-listing/

of course, I had to open the last one first:
    Moby - When it's Cold I'd Like To Die
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Ke2Hmkpdc

all the feels

not the only one from Stranger Things to visit it either looking at the comments

Slydice wrote: »
    went and checked the list of songs from the series
    it's here: http://www.whats-on-netflix.com/other/stranger-things-soundtrack-complete-song-listing/

of course, I had to open the last one first:
    Moby - When it's Cold I'd Like To Die
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Ke2Hmkpdc

all the feels

not the only one from Stranger Things to visit it either looking at the comments

Have to be honest, I missed that song completely,
    I was too busy sobbing uncontrollably

• Advertisement

mewso wrote: »
    Did Hopper really give up the location to where Eleven was? Seems very out of character for a guy who lost his daughter. I'm hoping/assuming that there will be more explanation on what his deal was and why he got in the car near the end. Did I miss something?
    He did give her up. He was negotiating the whole time. She was the only leverage for any negotiations there.

He lost a child and he knew Will was close to death because of Eleven seeing him in the pool in the gymnasium.

My guess/feeling is he didn't want to give her up but he didn't want Will to die more than that. So he gave her up in exchange for the chance to get a rescue attempt for Will.

He may have made some sort of deal beyond what we saw, I hope. I thought it was pretty ****ty too. That said he did it to get Joyce's kid back which ties in with him losing his own. I was thinking to that maybe, given all the people he made the deal with were killed in the school, there might be someone else from the lab pulling the strings now, that might be why he got into the car at the end.

My own question....

Did they show how 11 got out of the lab? I remember
    them showing her touching the monster and all hell breaking loose, the walls cracking and all that but I don't remember 11 leaving the lab, she was in the water tank when all that was happening, no?

I think I might need to watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Ya I thought that odd as well at the time, from what transpired after it seems she had no idea he was going to do that.

He may have just done it as he thought the out come would be the best case scenario, kind of a dick move all the same.

SPOILERS OF THE WHOLE OF SEASON ONE HERE
    Have to be honest, I missed that song completely,
    I was too busy sobbing uncontrollably
    It registered with me but at that point, I think I was just being bombarded with so much, I couldn't take it all in.

I looked up the song and someone on songmeanings said:
    http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/100417/
    I love this song, its so sad, its just like....when you've given up-thats what it means, you didn't mean to, but its happened and now you can't do anything about it
    then I just rewatched the scene and it was the sherrif and his daughter
    at the same time as Him and Joyce with Will and them both fighting for Wills life.

That's it! That's why he tries so hard. He can't lose Will. He can't lose a child.

It's just so sad thinking about it.

**** cancer!

THIS ALL CAME JUST AFTER ELEVENS SACRIFICE!!! OMG HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO PROCESS IT ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

He may have made some sort of deal beyond what we saw, I hope. I thought it was pretty ****ty too. That said he did it to get Joyce's kid back which ties in with him losing his own. I was thinking to that maybe, given all the people he made the deal with were killed in the school, there might be someone else from the lab pulling the strings now, that might be why he got into the car at the end.

My own question....

them showing her touching the monster and all hell breaking loose, the walls cracking and all that but I don't remember 11 leaving the lab, she was in the water tank when all that was happening, no?

Im nearly certain they didn't show her escaping the lab, I suppose she just ran out as she's fairly unstoppable when she's not contained the water tank would not have been closed at the top as the air supply was coming through.

It may be she crawled through that pipe and that's why they wouldn't show the chief the correct CCTV.

• Advertisement

I can't tell.
    She shows up at the diner in the scene after the scientists are checking out the damage to the lab. My guess it the monster ripped open the place and she was locked off from the other parts cos of the doors being pass-carded so she just wandered out through the holes it had made.

Im nearly certain they didn't show her escaping the lab, I suppose she just ran out as she's fairly unstoppable when she's not contained the water tank would not have been closed at the top as the air supply was coming through.

It may be she crawled through that pipe and that's why they wouldn't show the chief the correct CCTV.
    I forgot about the pipe, that's obviously how she got out of the lab grounds. I just couldn't remember her getting out of the lab itself, but I assumed it was during all the chaos.

Maybe he took a calculated risk that the kid who's all gums would be overcome by his lust for chocolate pudding and lead them all to safety

Maybe he took a calculated risk that the kid who's all gums would be overcome by his lust for chocolate pudding and lead them all to safety

Ha! To be fair though....
    11 took care of all the guys who tried to take her back, it was the monster got her in the end. Although.... I suppose it was the blood of all the bad guys that led the monster there, so... yeah.... still the Chief's fault.

Ha! To be fair though....
    11 took care of all the guys who tried to take her back, it was the monster got her in the end. Although.... I suppose it was the blood of all the bad guys that led the monster there, so... yeah.... still the Chief's fault.

Ya but regardless of how it worked out he still
    gave her up
    I wonder why he didn't just lie to them, and then they just believed him as well, didn't check it out or nothing, bit stupid?.............must try harderr not to nitpick.

Ya but regardless of how it worked out he still
    gave her up
    I wonder why he didn't just lie to them, and then they just believed him as well, didn't check it out or nothing, bit stupid?.............must try harderr not to nitpick.

True... but the lab people didn't think
    the Chief and Joyce were going to find Will and/or get out alive again so I suppose they just thought take him at his word and worse case scenario is the chief dies and they keep looking for 11 who would then only have 3 kids helping her hide

True... but the lab people didn't think
    the Chief and Joyce were going to find Will and/or get out alive again so I suppose they just thought take him at his word and worse case scenario is the chief dies and they keep looking for 11 who would then only have 3 kids helping her hide
    Or check it out, if she's not there interrogate them further would be more logical, I mean it's pretty much only 3 kids on her side now anyway with the chief and Wills mum locked up. They don't seem like the type that would give you your 1 phone call

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

5 in. Will finish the rest tonight. Great show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

That's my thoughts on it as well. I'd wager there's a little more to Hopper than a city cop family man with a tragic back story. He handled that infiltration into the lab first time round very handily.... :p

Great series, watched in one go today. :o

Creamed myself with the music, those synths were perfect every time.
    If I had any gripe it's that I thought Ryder played the hysterical Mom a little over the top in the first few episodes, but then reigned it in very very nicely.

The kid actors were top notch, extremely likeable.
    I also loved it when Steve went back into the house in the last episode. I actually found myself shouting. "Come ON Steve, I KNOW you're not a coward!......YAAAAAAY!" :o

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Slydice hope you're taking the piss with your post. Seriously use spoilers like everyone else. Not everyone is finished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

sheep? wrote: »
    That's my thoughts on it as well. I'd wager there's a little more to Hopper than a city cop family man with a tragic back story. He handled that infiltration into the lab first time round very handily.... :p

Great series, watched in one go today. :o

Creamed myself with the music, those synths were perfect every time.
    If I had any gripe it's that I thought Ryder played the hysterical Mom a little over the top in the first few episodes, but then reigned it in very very nicely.

The kid actors were top notch, extremely likeable.
    I also loved it when Steve went back into the house in the last episode. I actually found myself shouting. "Come ON Steve, I KNOW you're not a coward!......YAAAAAAY!" :o

This is the best thing I have watched in a long, long time! Finished last night.

Re Hopper
    there is definitely more to him. Notice how he quickly disabled the 3 bad men looking for the kids on the bus? There was another scene, can't recall at the minute, and I remember thinking the same

The entire cast were brilliant, not a weak link among them, but Mike wins it for me, just a great geeky funny kid.

The best thing about the kids is the fact that they all seem like they could be friends in real life. Like everything about them, their group, and their interactions was totally believable.

Plus each of them were incredible actors. I would argue that Ele's performance was possibly the hardest, because she had such few lines of dialogue (compared to the others) that hers had to be a more physical performance.

I have no idea where they could go with Season 2. Does anyone know whether they'll follow the usual TV format or adapt a more American Horror Story style, with each season being different?

I have no idea where they could go with Season 2. Does anyone know whether they'll follow the usual TV format or adapt a more American Horror Story style, with each season being different?

The producers said they played around with the idea of doing an anthology style thing or maybe revisiting the same characters but at a later point in their lives but in the end they decided they'd pretty much pick up where they left off.

The producers said they played around with the idea of doing an anthology style thing or maybe revisiting the same characters but at a later point in their lives but in the end they decided they'd pretty much pick up where they left off.

That's a pity. It would be excellent to move it to the 90s, where the kids are young adults, just to show how it has affected their lives. A 10 year shift between stories. Then season 3 might do something similar, with how it affects their children.

That's a pity. It would be excellent to move it to the 90s, where the kids are young adults, just to show how it has affected their lives. A 10 year shift between stories. Then season 3 might do something similar, with how it affects their children.

You'd have to recast nearly everyone though and update everything to the 90's, sets, wardrobe etc.
    I think the "1 month later" bit at the end kind of set it up for a direct follow on anyway.

The worry for me would be, and they mention this in that interview I keep talking about, is that the show runners will all be a little busier now, they may have to bring in a few more people from "outside" to write/direct and then there's the risk of losing what made the 1st season so special.

pc7 wrote: »
    Slydice hope you're taking the piss with your post. Seriously use spoilers like everyone else. Not everyone is finished

Just so I'm clear on this... ye're joking cos all my recent posts have almost nothing but spoiler tags on them? :)

otherwise, link me to the post! :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Slydice wrote: »
    Just so I'm clear on this... ye're joking cos all my recent posts have almost nothing but spoiler tags on them? :)

otherwise, link me to the post! :D

Yesterday at 22.03, on phone don't want to requote it, as I say I hope your taking the piss about eleven. If you aren't it should be spoiler red as should comment about sherriff

pc7 wrote: »
    Yesterday at 22.03, on phone don't want to requote it,
    as I say I hope your taking the piss about eleven. If you aren't it should be spoiler red as should comment about sherriff

There was already spoiler tags on it but I've added some red text above it with further warning.

I recommend avoiding any posts using spoiler tags.

^^ I don't understand what's happening here. That entire post is behind spoiler tags.... was it not like that originally?

• Advertisement

^^ I don't understand what's happening here. That entire post is behind spoiler tags.... was it not like that originally?

It was just like that. I haven't changed the spoiler tags.

I just added the extra warning in red text.

Advertisement