Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Good interview with the creators here

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/stranger-things-creators-explain-it-all-about-season-1

Some bits.
    On Dr Brenner's last scene
    We wanted to purposely leave it ambiguous

on Dustin
    Episodes 6, 7, and 8 were written after we had already been shooting. So we had started to work with the cast, started to see how the kids worked together on screen. we realized what a powerhouse Gaten was

on season two
    Obviously, you want to go in with the goal that it's going to be better. I think tonally, it's going to be darker. It's not that we're going to lose the fun of the first season, but it's going to get a little darker.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Dodge wrote: »

I love that they're just really big fans of Winona and that's why they wanted her in the show. The fact she was a kid actor in the (very late) 80's didn't even occur to me.

I think the casting was very important on this show. Bar Ryder and Modine there are very few reocognisable faces, and even they haven't been on screen that much in the recent past. I always think that's part of the appeal of all these foreign language shows at the moment. It's not the same faces over and over. I understand the appeal of casting known faces to attract attention/viewers/investors etc. but it can take away from the experience of a show if you're still thinking of an actor as someone else. I remember when I tried to watch Bloodlines I kept thinking why is Coach Taylor kissing that other woman!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,878 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Basq wrote: »

That's amazing. I have to say I was expecting The Quiet Man to come on the TV when Eleven was watching it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Basq wrote: »

Impressive yeah, however a lot of 'references' in that were just bad cases of confirmation bias.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I don't know if anyone watches The Goldbergs but between S2 and S3 of that the main kid went from being a little squishy faced adorable cutie pie to being about 5ft8 and talking like a chain smoker who had swallowed Kermit the Frog and a load of barbed wire. And that was in the space if about 2-3 months.

When voice breaking between seasons was mentioned I was immediately thinking about Adam from The Goldbergs before I even saw your post. They definitely made it work with The Goldbergs though because they've worked it in as an ongoing joke and Sean Giambrone plays that awkward teen going through puberty brilliantly.

When voice breaking between seasons was mentioned I was immediately thinking about Adam from The Goldbergs before I even saw your post. They definitely made it work with The Goldbergs though because they've worked it in as an ongoing joke and Sean Giambrone plays that awkward teen going through puberty brilliantly.

It kind of felt like they featured him a bit less though in S3. I've heard voices break before but his is something special. I can't listen to it for more than a few lines :D

It kind of felt like they featured him a bit less though in S3. I've heard voices break before but his is something special. I can't listen to it for more than a few lines :D

In a way I like he took a bit more of a backseat, because it meant more Murray, Bev, Barry and Erica, who I've always liked more than Adam or Pops (not that I dislike either of them, but the others make the show what it is).

In a way I like he took a bit more of a backseat, because it meant more Murray, Bev, Barry and Erica, who I've always liked more than Adam or Pops (not that I dislike either of them, but the others make the show what it is).

Definitely. It works best as an ensemble and they seem to have really hit their stride with that in S3. But we're veering off topic here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Told my girlfriend about it yesterday cause everyone was raving about it, that was about 6pm last night, 24 hours on, we've watched all 8 episodes, what a fantastic show. Truly fantastic.

I loved the whole 80s feel and mood to it, but still having that child like feel was a nice touch. Reminded me alot of Silent Hill in parts.

Every actor was superb, especially the kids. Dustin and Eleven were special.
    Can't fúcking believe Nancy got back with Steve.

• Advertisement

Can't fúcking believe Nancy got back with Steve.

Why?

Why?

Always rooting for the weird underdog.

Always rooting for the weird underdog.

I usually am too but he was just a bit too creepy for me. Also Steve's hair is amazing. :D

I usually am too but he was just a bit too creepy for me. Also Steve's hair is amazing. :D

The fact his hair is actually like that minus the small flick in the fringe in those pictures has entertained me greatly :P

The fact his hair is actually like that minus the small flick in the fringe in those pictures has entertained me greatly :P

Same :D

I assumed he had just grown it long for filming and they'd 80's styled it for him. I wasn't expecting him to still have it. Great head of hear though, you have to hand it to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Great show,watched over 3 nights last week and would nearly watch it again tonight.

I was off work the last few days and its unreal the amount of people talking about this show today,seems to have really spread over the last week.I suppose universal high praise will do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Didn't think this would be my kinda thing it all and child actors can annoy me

God it was amazing. Every single episode. The kids were excellent, dustin especially. Definatly the best thing I've seen in a long time, possibly since game of thrones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I don't think that Empire review earlier is that egregious, it's not like it panned the show.

Anyway, part of me would like if they just left this story as it is. It felt pretty complete to me.

Very binge¬worthy show and great to see such high calibre viewing on the small screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Watched all 8 episodes over the past 2 evenings.

Spectacular stuff. I was glued to every second of it and it was such a love-letter to Stephen King that it just made it all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Like many went through this very quickly. Thought it was brilliant, a perfect example of encapsulating and gripping television.

Ideal to just leave it be, but the demand for more on this will force more seasons no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Heckler

Just finished Ep 4. Good show. Love the soundtrack being an 80's kid. The incidental music is terrific as well.

Someone was cutting onions nearby when they took the body from the lake and Peter Gabriel started singing heroes.

The actor playing Eleven is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

thought it was a great series up to the last episode, thought the final episode was weak compared to the rest of the show, loved the music..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Soo... Just waiting on Social services to call.

Was left with the kids for the weekend. At least I think I was.

Started watching this yesterday and finished last night. Addictive - already a classic.

Also in two minds about a S2. Am optimistic though...

Soo... Just waiting on Social services to call.

Was left with the kids for the weekend. At least I think I was.

Started watching this yesterday and finished last night. Addictive - already a classic.

Also in two minds about a S2. Am optimistic though...

Did you forget to feed them or something because you were too busy watching, or did they get dragged into the upside down themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Did you forget to feed them or something because you were too busy watching, or did they get dragged into the upside down themselves?

I seem to recall frying some steaks, making oven chips and boiling corn on the cob. 25 minutes parenting. Shouting at them dinner was made and scampering back up to my bedroom.

The most teenager thing I've done... since being a teenager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

Wow, what a beautiful piece of work!

I try to space out series usually, but was too hooked on this to quit! Started yesterday afternoon, finished tonight.

The late 70s/80s smalltown America, "close-knit community with something weird about to happen" feel of Halloween, Close Encounters, It, Gremlins... was captured just perfectly. I think anyone could enjoy it but particularly 45-year-old men!

Then for those same 45-year-old men and other grown-ups there are the adult themes, like broken relationships, unhappy relationships, kids being troublesome, family turbulence... and the horror bits/sinister government agency stuff were truly terrifying in places.

I just love how it seems to address 1983's kids today, because the adult themes would not have been delved into as much in many of the films it references.

I love also the way they convey how being a nerd/dork back then was one of the worst things you could be at school (it is far less unacceptable today, even "cool" in some contexts).

That video posted by Basq of the references is great - some of them are probably accidental but many seem very much deliberate. I was also reminded of Poltergeist when the little blonde girl was watching the lights display, and the sink part at the end. It also reminded me a bit of V.

I remember a lot of the era but was much smaller than the boys - however I can imagine it being a truly magical show for those who were their age at the time. One of the most lovingly conceived shows I think I have ever seen. I was surprised to learn that the Duffer brothers were only born around that time - they really nailed it.

And the soundtrack is like Vangelis - beautiful stuff. The other music is brilliant too instead of the usual 80s fare - don't think I've ever heard Modern English on a TV soundtrack before! (That reminded me of Donnie Darko). :)

Advertisement