Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stranger Things [Netflix] [*** Spoilers ***]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

I know, it's uncanny! And Mike is Elliott from E.T. :)

The boys did a magnificent job. Those young actors were born about 20 years after the era in question and they blend into their roles so well. I guess though, social media speak aside, language hasn't changed much, and some of their interests (like Dungeons & Dragons and Star Wars) are timeless.

Winona Ryder is wonderful in it but I wonder if Drew Barrymore was approached? Would have been kinda cool for Gertie to be playing the mom in such an E.T. homage. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Thought this series was dreadful. Cannot believe the hype and universal acclaim for this nonsense. It's almost as if nobody wants to put their head above the parapet and say, eh, I actually didn't think it was that good...
    Seems to me like most people are loving this because it makes them feel all nostalgic and warm for the 80's.
    In a years time, when all the social media hype has gone, people will realise that this was just a bad show with bad actors and a bad script with an unbelievable storyline.
    I understand I am completely alone in this opinion, but this opinion needs to be aired.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,163 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Thought this series was dreadful. Cannot believe the hype and universal acclaim for this nonsense. It's almost as if nobody wants to put their head above the parapet and say, eh, I actually didn't think it was that good...
    Seems to me like most people are loving this because it makes them feel all nostalgic and warm for the 80's.
    In a years time, when all the social media hype has gone, people will realise that this was just a bad show with bad actors and a bad script with an unbelievable storyline.
    I understand I am completely alone in this opinion, but this opinion needs to be aired.

Or maybe it's almost like everyone loved it and you're the exception?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

bad actors??! i can understand if the show just wasnt for you but i would think that the acting was universally considered great!

also, of course the storyline is unbelievable, its sci-fi!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

an unbelievable storyline.

"Jim Morrison didn't make music that everyone liked, He left that to the Beatles"

You didn't like it that's fair enough but If one of your gripes is an unbelievable storyline then I not sure what to say I mean it's fantasy/science fiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

:rolleyes:
    Seems to me you didn't like something and felt like condemning everyone who did. You don't like the show and that's fine to say, you're entitled to your opinion, but don't get up on your high horse and look down your nose at people who did enjoy this universally acclaimed and creative show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

~

It's unlikely you'll be alone as the show gets more popular, or as someone watches it 6 months from now and doesn't like it. Fair enough. I liked it because of the setting, yes, but also the tone, storytelling and characters. There was a lot of heart in the writing. I responded to that.

Perhaps you could recommend another show we should be checking out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I can accept someone might not LOVE it the way a lot of people do and the longer it's out the more hype it seems to be getting the more likely someone will feel let down by it but....... bad script, bad acting, bad show? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'd like to echo the idea that it's ok to not like the show. Not everyone likes everything universally.

From the bit of science I know, it's generally taken that most results in areas like this have a range from bottom to middle to top and this shouldn't be different.

Over on Rotten Tomatoes, only 96% liked the show.
    [URL="https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/1955/393252.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

So then 4% of the audience did not. Critics only gave it 94%. So it just depends.

Over on Metacritic, the critics only gave it 75% total. The audience has given 9.2.
    [URL="https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/1955/393254.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

All more evidence that it depends on the viewer. There's a reviewer who gave it a 0 out of 100. :eek:
    Winona Rider is terrible!!!
    No one has even spoken about her since she stole that stuff from that store
    . It has B and C list actors. The plot and dialog are so lame.
    hashtag faints :eek:

Anyway.. it's one of the benefits of the review sites, they can help you get a feel for whether you'd like a show.

imdb has a lot of praise for it with 9.2/10 from over 67 thousand reviews:
    [URL="https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/1955/393255.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    so it says alot about the show but also is a reminder that people can hold different opinions.

So like.. It's a good show but.. it's not for every single one of us :)

I can even accept if someone thinks the show is dreadful rubbish and hates it with a passion - and yes of course they are entitled to air that opinion, but to say all the acting is bad is just making an untrue statement.

Also, not liking it does not mean other people are lying when they say they love it. :)

I do understand things can be over hyped and a bandwagon can get engineered, but sometimes hype is because of something being genuinely loved, not just a bandwagon or something that is really **** but popular because a lot of people who like **** stuff love it.

I would assume that yes, the nostalgia element is a huge part of its appeal - don't see anything wrong with that though? And the music is class, and the scary bits are very engrossing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Ok, I own up, I DID like the fact that Joy Division's Atmosphere was featured in an earlier episode.
    Absolutely top marks for that.
    Just need to re-iterate, in my opinion, in a couple of years time, it will be forgotten.
    I mean, it's not in the same ball park as True Detective (1st season), Fargo, GoT, Breaking Bad...
    I'm not having a go at people who love it, just at the viral nature that has everybody excitedly building this up like it was The Wire or Sopranos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

sugarman wrote: »
    Just finished this over the weekend, thought it was fantastic. Mostly for the soundtrack, but the cinematography was brilliant too. Had everything down to a tee for the era.

I really hope they dont try to do second season and just leave it as is. Its one of those kind of shows thats perfect and doesnt need it and it would ruin the original for everything it was.

Your one of many here voicing that opinion , I just don't get it
    They did a great job on s1 they say they have a plan for S2 , have they not earned the right to try a second season
    You don't have to watch it
    If it's bad it doesn't detract from this S1 .I mean do you begrudge bands still making music after their opus ?
    Very few shows end at their peak , it doesn't detract from how good they were beforehand

Such a bizarre statement for so many people to make

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I just finished this last night... loved it from start to finish.. such an homage to great 80's sci-fi..
    Loved Chief Hoppers character.. became the hero when he was needed..
    Winona Ryder is a terrible actress, but it was nice to see her in something again, also seeing another great late 80's early 90's actor, Mathew Modine, was a nice touch.
    The younge actors did a brilliant job..

As someone just said, I hope they do continue on with some sort of sequel, the cast deserve it... Why would they stop after 1 season.. makes no sense..

edit.. Some info on the Duffer brothers and their plans... and a possible sequel..
    http://collider.com/stranger-things-season-2-matt-ross-duffer-interview/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fien-print/duffer-brothers-talk-stranger-things-916180

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Watched it over 4 nights of the BH weekend, a proper 80s rollercoaster movie vibe, the only time I felt jarred out of it was when the kids were walking down th tracks "Stand By Me" style, it was a little too on the nose.

I can see why people didn't absolutely love it when there are more cerebral shows like True Detective S1 to compare it to, I mean it was basically candyfloss, well written, directed and acted candyfloss, but candyfloss nonetheless.

It hit the beats of all of those King adaptations, Speilberg fantasies and horror tropes (
    even the "last remaining virgin" was a victim!
    ) like clockwork - and those were the absolute masters of storytelling of that era, so for this to come so close to emulating those dudes speaks volumes.

Overall, an A- or B+ - excellent watching for a long weekend, and roll on S2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

They did a great job on s1 they say they have a plan for S2 , have they not earned the right to try a second season
    If it's bad it doesn't detract from this S1 .I mean do you begrudge bands still making music after their opus ?
    Very few shows end at their peak , it doesn't detract from how good they were beforehand

That's not quite the same thing though. Nobody is saying these guys should retire on the back of a decent show. While I wouldn't begrudge a band for making music after their opus I wouldn't be gagging for more of the same from their next release.

This season felt like a complete story and was a breadth of fresh air within the current TV climate. Maybe these guys can push things to another level with a second season but I'd have my concerns.

I do think it could command more of a legacy by being a one off series but that wouldn't bother me either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I do think it could command more of a legacy by being a one off series but that wouldn't bother me either way.

Watched it over the weekend and loved it. It would have been a perfectly self-contained standalone piece of work as one story told in one series.

There have been several series that have had great first series somewhat tarnished by bringing them back for a second series that didn't cut the mustard (Broadchurch and True Detective being two recent examples). Would hate to see the same happen to this.

Standout moments for me were linked to the music:
    Joy Division Atmosphere was brilliant in Ep 4, New Order Elegia over the funeral montage in Ep 5

ahlookit wrote: »
    Watched it over the weekend and loved it. It would have been a perfectly self-contained standalone piece of work as one story told in one series.

There have been several series that have had great first series somewhat tarnished by bringing them back for a second series that didn't cut the mustard (Broadchurch and True Detective being two recent examples). Would hate to see the same happen to this.

Standout moments for me were linked to the music:
    Joy Division Atmosphere was brilliant in Ep 4, New Order Elegia over the funeral montage in Ep 5

second season performance influencing your view of season 1 is your issue not the filmmakers , season 1 is just as good regardless of what follows , so it is a no risk strategy in reality to go ahead for season 2.

agree on music standouts , phenomenal choices

I find it bizarre that you don't get it It. You say a drop in quality doesn't detract from how good it was previously while this may be true, It does effect our relationship with the characters that we fell in love with over the eight episodes. It also looks like it's going to follow on directly from season one this makes it much more difficult to separate when you judge the story as a whole.

I'm apprehensive about season 2 because imo they gave us a perfect ending which was both sad and happy, But then we find out that it's not the ending at all, at most it's only half over. I don't see why having those reservations would be so difficult to understand.

I find it bizarre that you don't get it It. You say a drop in quality doesn't detract from how good it was previously while this may be true, It does effect our relationship with the characters that we fell in love with over the eight episodes. It also looks like it's going to follow on directly from season one this makes it much more difficult to separate when you judge the story as a whole.

I'm apprehensive about season 2 because imo they gave us a perfect ending which was both sad and happy, But then we find out that it's not the ending at all, at most it's only half over. I don't see why having those reservations would be so difficult to understand.

If you have a problem differentiating the two seasons then don't watch it any further , or wait for the reviews before doing so. Either way its an issue you have not the filmmakers and wishing they do not continue because of your easily solved issues is kind of bizarre to me and pretty egotistical

If you have a problem differentiating the two seasons then don't watch it any further , or wait for the reviews before doing so. Either way its an issue you have not the filmmakers and wishing they do not continue because of your easily solved issues is kind of bizarre to me and pretty egotistical

Being apprehensive about season 2 is not the same as wishing that It doesn't get made.

Its not an issue at all it's how I felt about the ending of season one when it became clear they were planting the seeds for season 2.

I explained this in simple terms in my previous post you chose not to address these and instead you basically said I was putting my priorities above those of the filmmakers which I dont.

You seem overly concerned about the filmmakers for some reason, you do go on about them.

Alot of things appear Bizarre to the narrow-minded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Ah, here. There's a difference of opinion. Think that can be left there now.

Anyone know when the "sequel" will be aired - July '17?

Being apprehensive about season 2 is not the same as wishing that It doesn't get made.

Erm the post i quoted say he hopes they don't make a second
    Wish and hope are pretty close in my book
    sugarman wrote: »
    I really hope they dont try to do second season and just leave it as is. Its one of those kind of shows thats perfect and doesnt need it and it would ruin the original for everything it was.

Its not an issue at all it's how I felt about the ending of season one when it became clear they were planting the seeds for season 2.

I explained this in simple terms in my previous post you chose not to address these and instead you basically said I was putting my priorities above those of the filmmakers which I dont.

But the sentiment I am questioning is not apprehension or worry
    I am fine with thinking it wont be as good , I find second shots of most things are not as good (with a few noticeable exceptions ) but I still look forward to them and hope they are part of the few exceptions

You seem overly concerned about the filmmakers for some reason, you do go on about them.

Calling me narrow minded is a stretch considering our positions on this topic.
    Be careful slamming the door in your glass house :D

Calling me narrow minded is a stretch considering our positions on this topic.
    Be careful slamming the door in your glass house :D

Do you think it was as much of stretch to refer to me as egotistical considering what I actually wrote In the post you quoted?

I can see your point, I just don't agree with it. You find what I see as quiet a normal reaction to the ending, (especially if the poster has not given what transpired time to digest) to be Bizarre.

I gave you logical reasoning as to why one would feel this way.

If I'm in a glass house then your in a house with no structural integrity at all like a house made of easy singles cheese😂

Do you think it was as much of stretch to refer to me as egotistical considering what I actually wrote In the post you quoted?

I can see your point, I just don't agree with it. You find what I see as quiet a normal reaction to the ending, (especially if the poster has not given what transpired time to digest) to be Bizarre.

I gave you logical reasoning as to why one would feel this way.

If I'm in a glass house then your in a house with no structural integrity at all like a house made of easy singles cheese😂

I am probably both narrow minded and egotistical , but not in this case.
    Hoping a show does not get made because you might not like it is pretty egotistical. Not understanding a way forward for the show and assuming that this means nobody else can is pretty narrow minded

I would insist if my house was being made with Cheese it was made with Swiss cheese , holes for ventilation with maybe a Door from Gouda.
    I am also pretty sure you have to put cheese in inverted commas when prefacing it with Easi-Singles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Just out of curiosity, what type of handbags do ye guys like to use. Gucci, Burberry or some other brand perhaps :D

I am probably both narrow minded and egotistical , but not in this case.
    Hoping a show does not get made because you might not like it is pretty egotistical. Not understanding a way forward for the show and assuming that this means nobody else can is pretty narrow minded

I would insist if my house was being made with Cheese it was made with Swiss cheese , holes for ventilation with maybe a Door from Gouda.
    I am also pretty sure you have to put cheese in inverted commas when prefacing it with Easi-Singles.

Again with the strawman argument who said they couldn't understand a way forward for the show?

Again I did not say I hoped they would not make a second season, I only said I was apprehensive and could understand stand where the other person was coming from.

You sound like a broken record at this stage, so it's probably in everyone's best interest if we move on.

Ya Swiss cheese does sound right up your street full of holes like your argument😀.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Well that's the first show we binged in one long night, 3:30 am before we saw the bed. I'v done a few on dvd boxsets but always over a few nights, it's getting off your arse to swap disks that breaks the spell.

This is almost perfect. It clearly wears it's heart on it's sleeve for the 80's stuff but never pastiches it. The script is excellent and designed as one piece rather than a serial, it more like a movie. It uses the tropes of the time but subverts them slightly creating a sense of unease rather than nostalgic comfort. This is it's strongest feature, unlike Super 8, it keeps a feeling of the protagonists being in harm's way.
    The acting is spot on. Millie Bobby Brown as 11 being particularly outstanding as she doesn't have much dialogue to work with. Winona is a bit ott at first but holds back enough to still keep your sympathy. Joe Keery was impressive as Steve, the bad good guy but his arch let him down, it switched too fast and struck me as forced compared to the arch of Lucas which was much more believable.
    The look and feel were just right, if I had a gripe it was with the monster which might have been better done with practical effects rather than CGI just to add to the 80's thing.
    Yes you could check off the stuff it nods to, goonies, poltergeist, stand by me, e.t. even pretty in pink! but that's all a bonus, if this had been set in the 50's or present day, the story, acting and direction would still make it essential viewing.
    Season 2? It doesn't need one but I do! Hopefully they go the Fargo route and keep the connections but not a direct sequel. Stranger things is a perfect title for an anthology so that option is open.

tommy2bad wrote: »
    it essential viewing.
    Season 2? It doesn't need one but I do! Hopefully they go the Fargo route and keep the connections but not a direct sequel. Stranger things is a perfect title for an anthology so that option is open.

The makers have already said it's gonna be a sequel to the first season.

I understand people being of the opinion that it should be left as is, but I think a second season is workable as there is scope for it. Few loose ends - I can't seem to use spoiler tags (the chief of police and the car, then the box... then the bathroom sink bit elsewhere) - so I think it was written for a follow-up series, rather than it being in the pipeline just for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

No one seemed to give a sh*t about poor
    Barb
    :(

Advertisement