Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAID v AHCI

Options
  • 09-06-2016 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

If I'm using RAID but not putting a drive in the array (in this case a 500GB M.2 SSD) does it make any difference to how it's accessed/performance.

I've a load of little drives I want to mess with.

Also anyone remember what needs to be changed in the registry to prevent a blue screen on boot?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

think of raid like a wine carrier in a supermarket, and AHCI is the speed at which you can drink a botle of wine.

You will drink one bottle at a given speed.
    If you put two bottles of wine in the tray and take it home, put longish straws into each then drink both at the same time you wil drink them both at the same given speed as the single one.

with Raid however, there will be a bit of cork left in the bottles, (cause you opened them too fast), so there will be a percentage loss in drinking speed overall, but the only happens over 1+ bottles.

Really thought with RAID ( as you say) and one disk, its not really a R.edundant A.rray of I.expensive D.isks, as there is no redendancy with one disk.
    http://www.raid-calculator.com/raid-types-reference.aspx <- READ and notice ther is no RAID level for a single disk.

ALso, depending on what RAID you have (Hardware or Software) you may not need to change and reg settings.
    Whats your OS, whats raid are you using, what motherboard.. etc etc.

IS this your Registry setting you mentioned? Top link -> https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=enabling%20ahci%2Fraid%20on%20windows%208%20after%20installation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

There would be disks in the array I just need to leave one of them out and Samsung magician always moans at me :)

Advertisement