Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Bank League 2016-2017 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Cork Charity Cup draw made
    1st round
    27th August
    Dolphin v Sundays Well, Midleton v Highfield
    Semi finals
    3rd September
    Cork Con v UCC and winners of 2 1st round games

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Hadn't thought about that, good point. Apparently OW have gone and signed a huge amount of young guys straight from school. Presume they have signed some senior players too. Will be interesting to see what type of team they put out in Leinster League against the 1A teams.

Mmmmm not recruiting within the rules from what I have heard free accommodation being thrown around at under 20s but who can blame them for accepting it especially if no one enforces the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Mmmmm not recruiting within the rules from what I have heard free accommodation being thrown around at under 20s but who can blame them for accepting it especially if no one enforces the rules

I wouldn't like to comment ;) but... I have heard something similar. They should just remove the rules bring in transparency and introduce some kind of actual controls.

I wouldn't like to comment ;) but... I have heard something similar. They should just remove the rules bring in transparency and introduce some kind of actual controls.
    What controls would you bring in?

What controls would you bring in?

Hard to say really. I haven't thought too much in depth and wouldn't have enough knowledge on what was being paid out in general prior to the new rules. Some kind of budget or fixed match fees. Make clubs keep more transparent records which they have to divulge to their respective branch or the union.

Whether you agree or disagree with the current rules has almost become irrelevant as it hasn't really stopped anything.

The University teams are still doing it overtly and plenty of clubs are doing it under the table.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Nift

No problem.

But I still want to know from a few posters...
    What exactly do people want done better in marketing the league? Do people want ads on tv? A Major Postering campaign? Better marketing and communication via social media?
    What exactly do people want done to promote the league that is better than whats currently done? People are criticising the league and its marketing yet cant provide one way in which they think the league could be better marketed?

Ever heard of youtube...could easily arrange some interviews and footage of games for each club. tried to do it myself once but they were afraid of opposition seeing footage. No understanding of benefit to club..etc etc. Won an AIL and wouldn't try to make something of it...even though loads of footage recorded. There is loads that could be done by each club, backed by the Irfu and people would basically do it for free as they already do at alot of clubs in other areas.

Nift wrote: »
    Ever heard of youtube...could easily arrange some interviews and footage of games for each club. tried to do it myself once but they were afraid of opposition seeing footage. No understanding of benefit to club..etc etc. Won an AIL and wouldn't try to make something of it...even though loads of footage recorded. There is loads that could be done by each club, backed by the Irfu and people would basically do it for free as they already do at alot of clubs in other areas.
    If it was so easily done then why isn't it done already??
    Could easily arrange interviews? How so? Footage of games for each club? That is quite difficult to arrange for a wider scale audience...
    But the key point is this has to be club led. The IRFU can help, if looked for, so as to guide and help out but it has to be club led and if clubs want better coverage of the league they need to be much smarter themselves in how they promote what they are doing and the product they are offering to customers/club members

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

If it was so easily done then why isn't it done already??
    Could easily arrange interviews? How so? Footage of games for each club? That is quite difficult to arrange for a wider scale audience...
    But the key point is this has to be club led. The IRFU can help, if looked for, so as to guide and help out but it has to be club led and if clubs want better coverage of the league they need to be much smarter themselves in how they promote what they are doing and the product they are offering to customers/club members

Let's move on you've been provided with loads of ideas / solutions and in time honoured tradition you have dismissed them and of course blamed the clubs people who all have full-time jobs outside of rugby. All of us have to accept that we are blatantly wrong and you are right

Stainalert wrote: »
    Let's move on you've been provided with loads of ideas / solutions and in time honoured tradition you have dismissed them and of course blamed the clubs people who all have full-time jobs outside of rugby. All of us have to accept that we are blatantly wrong and you are right
    You seem to think I don't have any experience of being involved in a club or what not. Im involved in PRO work. You seem to think I don't understand the work being done to promote the league and amateur club rugby in general.
    Im not blaming anyone especially volunteers in the club game. You and others seem to think so much of the promotional work must be done by the small number of staff in the IRFU simply because they are paid employees. That is ridiculous. The easiest and best promotion for clubs is done by themselves.
    Clubs know their target market best. Not the IRFU. Yes its volunteers but the volunteer in Clontarf/Bruff/Sligo RFCs will know what is best in terms of promoting the league for themselves than an outsider even if that outsider is working for the IRFU.
    All promotion of the league is best club led as the people doing the promo will be involved in clubs on a day to day basis and know whats best for them and what isn't etc

You seem to think I don't have any experience of being involved in a club or what not. Im involved in PRO work. You seem to think I don't understand the work being done to promote the league and amateur club rugby in general.
    Im not blaming anyone especially volunteers in the club game. You and others seem to think so much of the promotional work must be done by the small number of staff in the IRFU simply because they are paid employees. That is ridiculous. The easiest and best promotion for clubs is done by themselves.
    Clubs know their target market best. Not the IRFU. Yes its volunteers but the volunteer in Clontarf/Bruff/Sligo RFCs will know what is best in terms of promoting the league for themselves than an outsider even if that outsider is working for the IRFU.
    All promotion of the league is best club led as the people doing the promo will be involved in clubs on a day to day basis and know whats best for them and what isn't etc

Just a quick thought as I don't want to get back into this. Maybe clubs are attracting the people they now how to. Maybe an expert might be able to help attract those they can't reach. Say an expert employed professionally by a rugby organisation. Say a Rugby Football Union of sorts.

• Advertisement

Just a quick thought as I don't want to get back into this. Maybe clubs are attracting the people they know how to. Maybe an expert might be able to help attract those they can't reach. Say an expert employed professionally by a rugby organisation. Say a Rugby Football Union of sorts.

Just a quick thought as I don't want to get back into this. Maybe clubs are attracting the people they now how to. Maybe an expert might be able to help attract those they can't reach. Say an expert employed professionally by a rugby organisation. Say a Rugby Football Union of sorts.
    What do you want them to do considering they help the clubs either IRFU/Provincial branches through all manners of help. But its in basic marketing and promo that quite often is letting many clubs down. Like website management/social media. These are all areas clubs have to look at themselves and their members as to why they are not better. A club not having a website or a website that isn't updated regularly etc

What do you want them to do considering they help the clubs either IRFU/Provincial branches through all manners of help. But its in basic marketing and promo that quite often is letting many clubs down. Like website management/social media. These are all areas clubs have to look at themselves and their members as to why they are not better. A club not having a website or a website that isn't updated regularly etc

What senior club does not have a website. Most are now pretty good on social media too. I think your implication is very unfair on those who look after PR and marketing in clubs.

What senior club does not have a website. Most are now pretty good on social media too. I think your implication is very unfair on those who look after PR and marketing in clubs.
    was more talking about clubs that don't do social media very well at all and there is plenty who are poor. I don't think criticism is wrong. Ive done some pr work with my club and I understand how much work goes into the role....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

was more talking about clubs that don't do social media very well at all and there is plenty who are poor. I don't think criticism is wrong. Ive done some pr work with my club and I understand how much work goes into the role....

There's a difference between PR and social media management.

I've run social accounts for clubs and it takes a lot of work. I barely covered the basics. To add a concerted PR campaign to drive numbers into that I would have needed someone with a marketing Background to help me tailor my messages, general content etc..

I think an awful lot of clubs are getting better and better at the social media side of it. We in Clontarf are very lucky that we have a couple of really good people doing it. I know in Leinster they have done workshops for the clubs not sure about other provinces.

The attention whipped up around the final last year showed what can be done if the IRFU lead it. People I know in work who would just be provincial fans were talking about it. I really think if they put more of that effort over different periods of the year it would really help. I know it was a final and obviously much easier to promote. I'm sure they have enough connections and pull over the papers and the 42 etc. that they could encourage them to promote it more. They have certainly done it for womens 7s and 15s.

I think an awful lot of clubs are getting better and better at the social media side of it. We in Clontarf are very lucky that we have a couple of really good people doing it. I know in Leinster they have done workshops for the clubs not sure about other provinces.

The attention whipped up around the final last year showed what can be done if the IRFU lead it. People I know in work who would just be provincial fans were talking about it. I really think if they put more of that effort over different periods of the year it would really help. I know it was a final and obviously much easier to promote. I'm sure they have enough connections and pull over the papers and the 42 etc. that they could encourage them to promote it more. They have certainly done it for womens 7s and 15s.
    Some clubs are getting much better but a lot are very poor. Like on twitter if it wasn't for the @SportslineIRL account it would be very tricky to find results at times.
    Leinster are very good in parts but they have a person dedicated to the role in Elma Beirne. She is the 'Domestic Marketing Executive'. None of the other provinces have anything like that.
    IRFU have a role of course but clubs must be leading the advertising themselves and getting most of their locality in terms of getting people to get involved.

So essentially none of the provinces or the IRFU care enough to even hirer someone to do it or co-ordinate it.

So essentially none of the provinces or the IRFU care enough to even hirer someone to do it or co-ordinate it.
    That they don't have someone specifically appointed to a role like that doesn't mean they don't care. Munster don't have someone in that specific role or something similar but several of their communications staff focus a lot on the domestic game. Ive sent them in plenty on my own club and other events over the past few years

• Advertisement

That they don't have someone specifically appointed to a role like that doesn't mean they don't care. Munster don't have someone in that specific role or something similar but several of their communications staff focus a lot on the domestic game. Ive sent them in plenty on my own club and other events over the past few years

You would think the domestic game would either have someone in each province or at the very least an overall head of it. You would expect the union supposedly run by the clubs would value it enough to make that direct investment.

You would think the domestic game would either have someone in each province or at the very least an overall head of it. You would expect the union supposedly run by the clubs would value it enough to make that direct investment.
    Or perhaps the other provinces don't need to have a specific person dedicated to that role as the numbers playing aren't worth it or they don't have resources to do it.
    Domestic game communications ran by the other communications staff within the provincial set ups

Any further news on coaching changes?? Transfer news??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

If the league wants to improve its social media reach they need to get in touch with the company running Cabinteely FC's social media those guys know their stuff

Interesting terenure said "Congratulations to our own Harrison Brewer who has been selected for the Official Manawatu Turbos squad for the upcoming Mitre 10 Cup (NPC) in New Zealand!" Our own? does that mean he'll be coming back after this cup finishes and maybe even as a flanker?

D14Rugby wrote: »
    If the league wants to improve its social media reach they need to get in touch with the company running Cabinteely FC's social media those guys know their stuff

Interesting terenure said "Congratulations to our own Harrison Brewer who has been selected for the Official Manawatu Turbos squad for the upcoming Mitre 10 Cup (NPC) in New Zealand!" Our own? does that mean he'll be coming back after this cup finishes and maybe even as a flanker?
    I doubt he'll be back. When they say their own, he's played with club/was in the school...

Boyne's new head coach is Graeme Eastwood who has Head Coach with Newry RFC for the past 3 seasons and also been involved in the Ulster coaching set up,working with underage players. Assistant (Player)Coach is Niall Kerbey.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 robocon

Just received fixtures for North Munster Cups. Can't wait for the season to start back up. No dates yet but probably start around the same time as usual.

Limerick Charity Cup
    A. Nenagh Ormond V Thomond
    B. Bruff V Shannon
    C. Garryowen V Old Crescent
    D. Young Munster V UL Bohemians

Semi Finals: B V C
    A V D
    Final: E V F

Transfield Cup
    A. St. Senans
    B. St. Marys
    C. Bruff
    D. Garryowen V Newcastlewest
    E. Abbeyfeale V Presentation
    F. Young Munster V Richmond
    G. Shannon V Old Crescent
    H. Thomond V UL Bohemians

Quarter Finals
    I. H V G
    J. F V B
    K. D V E
    L. A V C

Semi Finals
    M. I V K
    N. L V J

Final: N V M

Mc Inerney Cup
    A. Young Munster
    B. Thomond
    C. St. Senans
    D. Shannon
    E. Old Crescent V Galbally
    F. Newcastlewest V UL Bohemians
    G. Scariff V Richmond
    H. St. Marys V Garryowen

Quarter Finals
    I. E V A
    J. C V F
    K. H V G
    L. D V B

Semi Finals
    M. J V K
    N. I V L

robocon wrote: »
    Just received fixtures for North Munster Cups. Can't wait for the season to start back up. No dates yet but probably start around the same time as usual.

Limerick Charity Cup
    A. Nenagh Ormond V Thomond
    B. Bruff V Shannon
    C. Garryowen V Old Crescent
    D. Young Munster V UL Bohemians

Semi Finals: B V C
    A V D
    Final: E V F
    Some very interesting ties here. Will leave out discussion of the j1 cups because theyre too hard to predict considering you don't know what way senior 2nds will be at at this early stage in the season or the junior 1 sides considering they wont be starting their league until the end of September.
    Tough to call a lot of those Limerick Charity Cup games
    Thomond were relegated to 2B last season while Nenagh finished mid table in 2A with a fairly mixed season. Nenagh have new coaches but hard to call a winner. Possibly Nenagh who usually have upper hand over Thomond in clashes...
    You would expect Shannon to beat Bruff and Garryowen to win but Munsters Bohs is tough to call. A lot depends on provincial call ups, new coaching set ups etc

• Advertisement

While I agree that Nenagh have had the upper hand in most of the previous meetings I really hope you're wrong, being a Thomond man. Last season was a tough one for us and hoping we will start this season strongly. Would think the other games will go to Shannon, Garryowen and the Cookies but hard to know how seriously everyone will take the Charity cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

Mc Inerney Cup
    A. Young Munster
    B. Thomond
    C. St. Senans
    D. Shannon
    E. Old Crescent V Galbally
    F. Newcastlewest V UL Bohemians
    G. Scariff V Richmond
    H. St. Marys V Garryowen

Quarter Finals
    I. E V A
    J. C V F
    K. H V G
    L. D V B

Semi Finals
    M. J V K
    N. I V L

Scariff are gone from the Munster Junior League from this season on so they should be competitive at J2 level.

It's a pity they are gone from the MJL but with 1 point from 9 games last season it must be so hard to motivate the players. Hopefully a few competitive seasons at J2 level will entice players coming through to stay with the club and give J1 level another crack in a few years time.

While I agree that Nenagh have had the upper hand in most of the previous meetings I really hope you're wrong, being a Thomond man. Last season was a tough one for us and hoping we will start this season strongly. Would think the other games will go to Shannon, Garryowen and the Cookies but hard to know how seriously everyone will take the Charity cup.
    Charity Cup needs to change format. It should be played in a league format with 3 games guaranteed for clubs. Munster clubs don't get enough competitive games before AIL starts.
    Scariff are gone from the Munster Junior League from this season on so they should be competitive at J2 level.

It's a pity they are gone from the MJL but with 1 point from 9 games last season it must be so hard to motivate the players. Hopefully a few competitive seasons at J2 level will entice players coming through to stay with the club and give J1 level another crack in a few years time.
    They've had some very talented younger players come through the ranks, led by Shane O Leary now playing with Connacht but being so close to Limerick they will lose many at 16/17/18. Scarriff join with Ballina-Killaloe at underage at some levels and many will go on and play with Limerick sides though some have also went up and played with Nenagh

Charity Cup needs to change format. It should be played in a league format with 3 games guaranteed for clubs. Munster clubs don't get enough competitive games before AIL starts.

Not a bad idea, as you say there are not enough competitive games for senior clubs before the AIL starts. I'd imagine the clubs would be for it also as it would give them the opportunity to look at a number of players and different combinations also.
    They've had some very talented younger players come through the ranks, led by Shane O Leary now playing with Connacht but being so close to Limerick they will lose many at 16/17/18. Scarriff join with Ballina-Killaloe at underage at some levels and many will go on and play with Limerick sides though some have also went up and played with Nenagh

Yeah it's a pity that clubs like this become feeder clubs almost to MJL sides in higher divisions and also AIL clubs but when they get to 18/19/20 they end up in college away from home and end up playing elsewhere. Hopefully they can be competitive at J2 level though.

Not a bad idea, as you say there are not enough competitive games for senior clubs before the AIL starts. I'd imagine the clubs would be for it also as it would give them the opportunity to look at a number of players and different combinations also.
    I know the clubs will all have arranged plenty of friendlies but an organised scheduled set of games is better and then you can still arrange your friendlies which you can be a bit looser in terms of numbers of subs used etc
    I agree clubs would be up for it but its up to the club coaches to go to their committees and branch delegates etc who are the ones with the power to make the changes
    Yeah it's a pity that clubs like this become feeder clubs almost to MJL sides in higher divisions and also AIL clubs but when they get to 18/19/20 they end up in college away from home and end up playing elsewhere. Hopefully they can be competitive at J2 level though.
    They should be competitive at j2 and there is still more very talented players coming through but its so hard to combat especially when as I said they are so close to so many senior clubs

• Advertisement

I know the clubs will all have arranged plenty of friendlies but an organised scheduled set of games is better and then you can still arrange your friendlies which you can be a bit looser in terms of numbers of subs used etc
    I agree clubs would be up for it but its up to the club coaches to go to their committees and branch delegates etc who are the ones with the power to make the changes

They should be competitive at j2 and there is still more very talented players coming through but its so hard to combat especially when as I said they are so close to so many senior clubs

What's this, we are in agreement on something?! Madness!!! :D

What's this, we are in agreement on something?! Madness!!! :D
    Yeah what's gone wrong:D

I think the 2 charity cups should be 2 groups of 4. That's 3 games for all senior clubs before AIL starts. Semis/finals of charity cup could be played in breaks of AIL before Christmas with final played right before Christmas which would help with getting bigger crowds
    Senior cup wouldn't start until February or later with final played as last game of season in late april/early may with final of senior cup and Cyril fitzgerald plate always played on main pitch in Thomond or Musgrave

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Number 137

After his release by Bristol, I believe Darren Hudson is joining MU Barnhall. Must not have had any offers from other pro teams.

The only problem I see with having more charity cup matches is that some of the bigger clubs go on pre-season team building trips, but this could be worked around. A benefit of more games would hopefully be more money for charity.

The only problem I see with having more charity cup matches is that some of the bigger clubs go on pre-season team building trips, but this could be worked around. A benefit of more games would hopefully be more money for charity.
    It could but that could easily be worked around.
    Clubs in other provinces get much more games in competition yet can still go on team building trips etc
    Yes clubs arrange friendlies but a more organised set of competitive games works better IMO and as you rightly point out. More games is more money for the charities

http://limerickrugby.ie/hectic-activity-on-the-local-rugby-transfer-market/

Ulster senior league fixtures made and senior cup is drawn Full draw or fixtures not up on ulster website though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Its always the same. In Limerick, Dublin...
    Mad that Shane Airey if he does move to the Cookies will be playing with his fourth club in nearly as many seasons or so. Is Thomond originally and all his brothers had been playing there with his dad coaching there until recently and since he's finished school he's been with Shannon and Bohs

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭RuPi

Ulster senior league fixtures made and senior cup is drawn Full draw or fixtures not up on ulster website though....

If you click on view by club you can access them.

RuPi wrote: »
    If you click on view by club you can access them.
    Thanks.
    Good to see senior league has been split up in two.
    First round of senior cup very early this season with it starting first weekend of September.
    I know with Bateman Cup it cant happen but id love to see the senior cup given more prominence in the season in each of the provinces... But its up to the senior clubs and their delegates on the branch and the various competition committees to bring about change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 The Sceptic

AIL fixtures on IRFU site.

AIL fixtures on IRFU site.

UCD v Tarf in the bowl first game up again. Lets hope for the same result in the first and last game of the season!

Not an easy start for Trin, I really think they'll struggle this year.

In my opinion the top teams this year will be Tarf, Cookies, Con and probably Lansdowne (if they get in some second rows). I think Nure and Trinity will battle it out for relegation with Marys, OB, Garryowen and UCD making up the middle table and feasibly challenging at either end of the table (Garryowen and Marys probably more likely to be towards the bottom). UCD could easily challenge again though depending on the players they get released throughout the year.

UCD v Tarf in the bowl first game up again. Lets hope for the same result in the first and last game of the season!

Not an easy start for Trin, I really think they'll struggle this year.

In my opinion the top teams this year will be Tarf, Cookies, Con and probably Lansdowne (if they get in some second rows). I think Nure and Trinity will battle it out for relegation with Marys, OB, Garryowen and UCD making up the middle table and feasibly challenging at either end of the table (Garryowen and Marys probably more likely to be towards the bottom). UCD could easily challenge again though depending on the players they get released throughout the year.
    Hard to say about Trinity. Believe they have lost a few but depends on how many they have lost. Their 20s won the jp fanagan league for the first time ever last season which will help that.
    Top teams possibly are Tarf, Munsters, Con but with so many Dublin sides involved they will have at least another side challenging at the top

Club pre AIL competitive fixtures/cup draws
    Ulster
    Senior Cup 1st round
    3/9/16 Ballymena v Armagh, Belfast Harlequins v City of Derry, Queens Belfast v Rainey Old Boys
    Quarter Finals
    15/10/16 Ballynahinch v ??, Banbridge v Malone, Bangor v ???, ?? v Dungannon
    Semi Finals
    19/11/16

SONI Premiership Section 1
    27/8/16 Armagh v Banbridge, City Of Derry v Ballymena, Dungannon v Ballynahinch
    10/9/16 Dungannon v Armagh, Ballynahinch v Ballymena, Banbridge v City of Derry
    31/12/16 Armagh v Ballynahinch, Ballymena v Banbridge, City of Derry v Dungannon
    7/1/17 Armagh v City Of Derry, Dungannon v Ballymena, Ballynahinch v Banbridge
    14/1/17 Ballymena v Armagh, City of Derry v Ballynahinch, Banbridge v Dungannon

SOMI Premiership Section 2
    27/8/16 Malone v Belfast Harlequins, Queens Belfast v Rainey OB
    10/9/16 Belfast Harlequins v Queens Belfast, Bangor v Malone
    31/12/16 Rainey OB v Belfast Harlequins, Queens Belfast v Bangor
    7/1/17 Bangor v Rainey OB, Malone v Queens Belfast
    14/1/17 Belfast Harlequins v Bangor, Rainey OB v Malone

Connacht Senior League
    20/8/16 Sligo v Galwegians, Buccaneers v Corinthians
    27/8/16 Galwegians v Corinthians, Sligo v Buccaneers
    3/9/16 Galwegians v Buccaneers, Corinthians v Sligo

Leinster Senior League
    Division 1A
    27/8/16 Old Wesley v Old Belvedere, Terenure College v UCD
    3/9/16 Old Belvedere v Terenure College, UCD v Old Wesley
    10/9/16 Old Belvedere v UCD, Terenure College v Old Wesley
    Division 1B
    27/8/16 Clontarf v St Marys College, Dublin University v Lansdowne
    3/9/16 Lansdowne v Clontarf, St Marys College v Dublin University
    10/9/16 Dublin University v Clontarf, Lansdowne v St Marys College
    Division 2A
    27/8/16 Navan v Greystones, Seapoint v Skerries
    3/9/16 Greystones v Seapoint, Skerries v Navan
    10/9/16 Seapoint v Navan, Skerries v Greystones
    Division 2B
    27/8/16 Naas v Boyne, Tullamore v MU Barnhall
    3/9/16 Boyne v Tullamore, MU Barnhall v Naas
    10/9/16 Boyne v MU Barnhall, Tullamore v Naas
    Division 2C
    27/8/16 Wanderers v Blackrock College
    3/9/16 Bective Rangers v Wanderers
    10/9/16 Blackrock College v Bective Rangers

Limerick Charity Cup
    Quarter Finals
    26/8/16
    Young Munster v UL Bohemians
    27/8/16
    Bruff v Shannon, Nenagh v Thomond, Garryowen v Old Crescent

Cork Charity Cup
    Quarter Finals 3/9/16
    Kanturk v Cashel, Dolphin v Sundays Well, Midleton v Highfield, Cork Con v UCC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

Any idea where the new Munster Academy players are going, i'd imagine the ones with Limerick clubs will stay (Foley at Shannon, Nash at YM) but are the others moving to Limerick, think the others are:

O'Brien
    O'Connor
    Wycherley
    Coombes
    Daly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Prop Diarmuid Higgins moving from Clontarf to Wanderers apparently

2nd row Cathal O'Flaherty has signed for Marys from Con

Have heard Mary's are very active and not shy about Rule 6 in any way. Wonder how all the lads who have been there for years feel about new cars and other incentives been given out to players? Have heard it is causing a few problems within

Have heard Mary's are very active and not shy about Rule 6 in any way. Wonder how all the lads who have been there for years feel about new cars and other incentives been given out to players? Have heard it is causing a few problems within

I know they've signed a hooker (Brian Keelan) from us. Any others you've heard of. Haven't heard of any players that I would have thought would be getting paid or the equivalent. I've heard a few clubs are pretty blatantly ignoring the rule and that players are being very forth right with clubs in telling them what others have 'offered' which is obviously very difficult to prove or believe with some of what is said.

I know they've signed a hooker (Brian Keelan) from us. Any others you've heard of. Haven't heard of any players that I would have thought would be getting paid or the equivalent. I've heard a few clubs are pretty blatantly ignoring the rule and that players are being very forth right with clubs in telling them what others have 'offered' which is obviously very difficult to prove or believe with some of what is said.

Lot of garbage been talked but while very few others will believe it the reality is the clubs that have been most successful in recent years are not buying the league they invest in top class coaching, equipment, analysis software etc and majority but not all of the teams looking for promotion and staying in the top division are the ones throwing the cash around same clubs last couple of years and no secret at all, but no player is going to be foolish enough to report himself and if the clubs are stupid enough to throw huge money and perks at them fair play to them, very hard to turn it down in this day and age.

Re new signings I know Marys have 2 new 2nd rows, new back 3 in backs and forwards, new 9 & centre and keeping one of their new main guys from last season that I know of likely more that I don't know about

Lot of garbage been talked but while very few others will believe it the reality is the clubs that have been most successful in recent years are not buying the league they invest in top class coaching, equipment, analysis software etc and majority but not all of the teams looking for promotion and staying in the top division are the ones throwing the cash around same clubs last couple of years and no secret at all, but no player is going to be foolish enough to report himself and if the clubs are stupid enough to throw huge money and perks at them fair play to them, very hard to turn it down in this day and age.

Re new signings I know Marys have 2 new 2nd rows, new back 3 in backs and forwards, new 9 & centre and keeping one of their new main guys from last season that I know of likely more that I don't know about

Absolutely, rule 6 is a bit of a joke because it is nigh on impossible to police.

I know it may seem biased but if you look at the investment in coaching and facilities made by Tarf and Lansdowne it is no surprise to see who has been most successful of late. The gick seem to be following this model and it'll be interesting to see how it works out long term for them. It always seems to be the club who has just been relegated or the club just promoted that does a huge amount of signing, obviously that makes a certain amount of sense but it can't be the best long term solution and in my opinion is not the best value for money. It is hard to blame players, particularly younger ones, but I wouldn't say they're blameless. I always love to see players being loyal to their club.

On Marys, that is very active, I'll be interested to see if they can gel quickly and if they can keep the old Mary's attitude. Templeville is never a nice place to go.

• Advertisement

Stainalert wrote: »
    Prop Diarmuid Higgins moving from Clontarf to Wanderers apparently

2nd row Cathal O'Flaherty has signed for Marys from Con

I had heard Higgins was going to Lansdowne. I wonder why he is going to the Chaps.......

Advertisement