Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Bank League 2016-2017 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

lansdowner wrote: »
    mccarthy and lavelle from trinity to st marys
    darren hudson from marys to barnhall
    griggs from lansdowne to wesley

Is Hudson to Barnhall a scholarship thing? Seems an odd move outside of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

YM v Bohs in the Limerick Charity Cup tomorrow is off. Dunno how true it is but heard Bohs can't field a team.
    Yep Bohs cant field is what ive heard as well..
    lansdowner wrote: »
    mccarthy and lavelle from trinity to st marys
    darren hudson from marys to barnhall
    griggs from lansdowne to wesley
    Both McCarthy and Lavelle finished in trinity so had to move on.
    Hudson to 2A is a strange move.

Trinity could really struggle this year. From what I've heard they've lost most of their side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

A lot of teams stuggling for players I've heard

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

Yep Bohs cant field is what ive heard as well..

It's early in the season and the college won't be back until Mid/Late September but you'd imagine they'd have sufficient numbers between their various senior squads to have a run out? It's always good to get a game under your belt and use it as a yard stick.....

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Trinity could really struggle this year. From what I've heard they've lost most of their side.
    They've lost some but their a uni side so well used to that.
    Mc Love wrote: »
    A lot of teams stuggling for players I've heard
    Where are you referring to? Limerick or are you hearing further afield.
    It's early in the season and the college won't be back until Mid/Late September but you'd imagine they'd have sufficient numbers between their various senior squads to have a run out? It's always good to get a game under your belt and use it as a yard stick.....
    Who knows. University isn't back for 2 weeks but that wont be a big issue as theyre linked to UL but a lot wont be students..
    Perhaps they simply had players away or whatever.... disappointing but not a massive deal either...

Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

Who knows. University isn't back for 2 weeks but that wont be a big issue as theyre linked to UL but a lot wont be students..
    Perhaps they simply had players away or whatever.... disappointing but not a massive deal either...

It's disappointing and not a huge deal as you but it's strange to be shy of numbers this early in the season, usually lads are mad for a blow out. As you say it's probably lads away as well niggly injuries that they'd prefer not to risk.
    Mc Love wrote: »
    Limerick

Which clubs are stuggling do you know?

Apparently Max Deegan has gone to UCD now too....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

No not the case

Stainalert wrote: »

No not the case

Being fed some false stories so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭menu14

It's disappointing and not a huge deal as you but it's strange to be shy of numbers this early in the season, usually lads are mad for a blow out. As you say it's probably lads away as well niggly injuries that they'd prefer not to risk.

Which clubs are stuggling do you know?

There are a good few as far as I know. Obviously Bohs gave a walkover so they are struggling somewhat. Like all talk some of this could be hearsay but I have heard Garryowen are struggling due to the amount they lost from the end of last season. I've heard Nenagh are under a bit of pressure and that Thomond are severely lacking front row options. Like I said I don't know how true this is. Old Crescent are flying by All accounts, Shannon seem to be fine and Young Munster have an overload of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

I had heard he was approached along with Ryan but turned them down, UCD seem to be trying to morf into St.Michael's 3rd level team. Even with the academy and development lads not always available UCD have some amount of talented players with a big traffic jam for incoming players, huge amount of centers, 2nd row, back rows & back 3s seems lots of players just happy to be there with no desire to kick on to 1st team which is a shame. Scholarships or partial scholarships are not helping. Saw a tweet from Trinity during the week where 29 out 45 or so scholarships are purely Rugby would that be right?? I know UCD are far more active than Trinity so they must have a multiple of Trinity easily 40 - 60 per year as have Barnhall who are very active in Scholarships as well. Can't blame anyone for taking them but Trinity Tweet shocked me with amount and they are most definitely the least active of the 3 I have mentioned. Whats it like in UL & UCC??

menu14 wrote: »
    There are a good few as far as I know. Obviously Bohs gave a walkover so they are struggling somewhat. Like all talk some of this could be hearsay but I have heard Garryowen are struggling due to the amount they lost from the end of last season. I've heard Nenagh are under a bit of pressure and that Thomond are severely lacking front row options. Like I said I don't know how true this is. Old Crescent are flying by All accounts, Shannon seem to be fine and Young Munster have an overload of players.

Same as above and possibly weak in 2nd row for Thomond too.

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    I had heard he was approached along with Ryan but turned them down, UCD seem to be trying to morf into St.Michael's 3rd level team. Even with the academy and development lads not always available UCD have some amount of talented players with a big traffic jam for incoming players, huge amount of centers, 2nd row, back rows & back 3s seems lots of players just happy to be there with no desire to kick on to 1st team which is a shame. Scholarships or partial scholarships are not helping. Saw a tweet from Trinity during the week where 29 out 45 or so scholarships are purely Rugby would that be right?? I know UCD are far more active than Trinity so they must have a multiple of Trinity easily 40 - 60 per year as have Barnhall who are very active in Scholarships as well. Can't blame anyone for taking them but Trinity Tweet shocked me with amount and they are most definitely the least active of the 3 I have mentioned. Whats it like in UL & UCC??

I really can't understand how it is considered fair in anyway but there is zero chance of the branch or IRFU taking action on it.

I often wonder how serious many of the players who go to UCD are about rugby. A hug amount go over play 1 year or maybe 2 and give up. Unfortunately, many people are somewhat conned into thinking it is a good career move. The one thing both Trinity and Barnhall seem to have is that they develop a bit more loyalty. A huge number of players leave or quit very quickly in UCD.

• Advertisement

Wow hopefully just an early season thing for Garryowen, lads usually start coming out of the woodwork 2nd week in September when they have all recovered from Electric Picnic!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭RuPi

Majority of player transfers in Ulster are here

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/15125.php#.V8BAJE2Kq1s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

UCD's scholarships are more spread out through the different sports than TCD who have really been trying to push rugby recently. Rugby still get the majority in UCD but not as big a majority as in TCD. I think UCD have around 60 full scholarships a year spread over the 4 or so years of which 10-15 would be rugby then theres the half scholarships but they don't disclose them so there's no real way, that i know, of knowing ho many they give out and then how many of them go to rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭menu14

Thomond gave Nenagh a walkover in Charity Cup today. That's 2 of the 8 teams in Limerick after giving a walkover. Things must be very bad player wise down here. Where are all the players gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Flying Prop

Thomond gave Nenagh a walkover in Charity Cup today. That's 2 of the 8 teams in Limerick after giving a walkover. Things must be very bad player wise down here. Where are all the players gone?

Nenagh got word at about 12.45 ...not good! Hard enough going assembling a squad without pissing lads off with last minute cancellations after taking work off etc.

• Advertisement

Hard to say about Nenagh considering they've always had small squad and done ok.
    Thomond should be ok as well going on previous seasons.
    Is a great shame about clubs stockpiling players but how do you stop it?
    Trinity do have a lot of scholarships and that's from some of the sponsors/partners in the club.
    UL wouldn't have that high a number of scholarships at all afaik.
    I really can't understand how it is considered fair in anyway but there is zero chance of the branch or IRFU taking action on it.

I often wonder how serious many of the players who go to UCD are about rugby. A hug amount go over play 1 year or maybe 2 and give up. Unfortunately, many people are somewhat conned into thinking it is a good career move. The one thing both Trinity and Barnhall seem to have is that they develop a bit more loyalty. A huge number of players leave or quit very quickly in UCD.
    Trinity and Barnhall would have less players so its very different to UCD. Biggest university in country and so many guys go there and play. Most simply get sick of it especially if they were starting all through school and suddenly maybe for first time ever are subs are on the B tea.
    A lot gone to Dublin and abroad....

Some Leinster Senior League Results;

Clontarf 25 St.Mary's 20
    Terenure 13 UCD 13
    Lansdowne 26 Trinity 17
    Naas 44 Boyne 3
    Tullamore 10 Barnhall 28
    Navan 17 Greystones 18
    Seapoint 7 Skerries 43
    Wanderers 45 Blackrock 28

Some Leinster Senior League Results;

Clontarf 25 St.Mary's 20

Terenure 13 UCD 13

Lansdowne 26 Trinity 17

Naas 44 Boyne 3

Tullamore 10 Barnhall 28

Navan 17 Greystones 18

Seapoint 7 Skerries 43

Wanderers 45 Blackrock 28
    Some surprising results there with Blackrock losing to Wanderers by that margin the big one.

Wegians beat Corinthians 33-18 in Connacht league

Some surprising results there with Blackrock losing to Wanderers by that margin the big one.

Wegians beat Corinthians 33-18 in Connacht league

Ouch could be a very long season for Rock!

Very decent start from Naas

Marys had a good few new players on show on Saturday. Look like they will do well this season. Their discipline was atrocious though with 4 or 5 yellow cards in the second half which cost them the game. I would be surprised if they're not challenging for top 4.

Marys had a good few new players on show on Saturday. Look like they will do well this season. Their discipline was atrocious though with 4 or 5 yellow cards in the second half which cost them the game. I would be surprised if they're not challenging for top 4.

Yea Mary's have recruited a lot of guys out of Trinity and elsewhere so looking very competitive. Trinity still have a lot of ability but will be younger than last season if last Saturday is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭greg090

Yea Mary's have recruited a lot of guys out of Trinity and elsewhere so looking very competitive. Trinity still have a lot of ability but will be younger than last season if last Saturday is anything to go by.

They've had very good u20 sides recently so hoepfully they can keep it up.

Ouch could be a very long season for Rock!

Very decent start from Naas
    Could be for Rock. They've been yo-yoing from 2A/1B the last few seasons.....
    Trinity will do ok. Will be much younger but they won 20s
    greg090 wrote: »
    They have but simply couldn't win the league so often. Their 2nds have been very good as well and they've managed to keep a lot of their 20s playing on that side.

UCD 32 Old Wesley 14

Old Belvedere 16 Terenure 11

St Marys host Trinity tonight and Lansdowne at home to Clontarf tomorrow

Reallly? hadn't noticed them at 20s level for a while don't think they qualified for the top division of Leinster 20s in a while would be good to see Marys having a strong 20s again but majority of new introductions at senior level are from other senior clubs around the country

• Advertisement

Reallly? hadn't noticed them at 20s level for a while don't think they qualified for the top division of Leinster 20s in a while would be good to see Marys having a strong 20s again but majority of new introductions at senior level are from other senior clubs around the country

I think it was in relation to Trinity having a few good sides recently. Marys most certainly have not.

St Marys host Trinity tonight and Lansdowne at home to Clontarf tomorrow

Home being Ballychorus unfortunately!

I think it was in relation to Trinity having a few good sides recently. Marys most certainly have not.

:eek: Yeah read that wrong thought it was referring to Mary's 20s

League launched in the Aviva today
    http://inpho.ie/assignment/e6cV-hJA-p9QJXs1mnlWPA..a?ts=8ORj7Xi3Ap0qFHcaadQY9w..a

Anyone been at games recently?
    Connacht league. Sligo beat both Galway sides but lost to Buccs.
    Buccs won their 3 games. Don't really know strength of sides played in these games though

Garryowen and Munsters are into Limerick Charity Cup final.
    First round of Munster Senior Cup is Saturday

Old Belvedere beat UCD 19-10 last night which makes them 3 from 3 so far in their league group, having previously beaten Old Wesley & Terenure. Seems like Willie Staunton is kicking a lot of points for them in the first few games. As a result they qualify for the Leinster league final and will play either St Marys, Clontarf or Lansdowne depending on results tonight and tomorrow. Clontarf play Trinity tonight in College Park and Lansdowne host St Marys tomorrow in Lansdowne. Terenure close out their group with a home game against Old Wesley in Lakelands.

Overall winner of the Leinster league is put forward as Leinster team in the Bateman cup.

Old Belvedere beat UCD 19-10 last night which makes them 3 from 3 so far in their league group, having previously beaten Old Wesley & Terenure. Seems like Willie Staunton is kicking a lot of points for them in the first few games. As a result they qualify for the Leinster league final and will play either St Marys, Clontarf or Lansdowne depending on results tonight and tomorrow. Clontarf play Trinity tonight in College Park and Lansdowne host St Marys tomorrow in Lansdowne. Terenure close out their group with a home game against Old Wesley in Lakelands.

Overall winner of the Leinster league is put forward as Leinster team in the Bateman cup.

Is there a playoff between the 2 top teams or how does it work? I'd imagine Lansdowne will top our group.

Is there a playoff between the 2 top teams or how does it work? I'd imagine Lansdowne will top our group.

Winner of each group plays each other in a final

Trinity beat Tarf 19-18 in College Park tonight in Leinster League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

League launched in the Aviva today
    http://inpho.ie/assignment/e6cV-hJA-p9QJXs1mnlWPA..a?ts=8ORj7Xi3Ap0qFHcaadQY9w..a

Anyone been at games recently?
    Connacht league. Sligo beat both Galway sides but lost to Buccs.
    Buccs won their 3 games. Don't really know strength of sides played in these games though

Garryowen and Munsters are into Limerick Charity Cup final.
    First round of Munster Senior Cup is Saturday

Sligo handed the points against Galweigans as they failed to field beat Corinthians but lost to Buccs by 4. All teams missing players . All Sligo u 20 Irish players have left club. Connacht Senior league usually offers no indication of AIL form so can be taken with a pinch of salt

• Advertisement

Where did all the U20 players go?

Where did all the U20 players go?
    Wegians probably

Munster Senior Cup results

UL Bohs 6 Cork Con 27
    Nenagh Ormond 20 Garryowen 13
    Dolphin 23 Highfield 34
    Old Crescent v Midleton
    UCC 42 Bruff 24
    Cashel 26 Thomond 10
    Kanturk 0 Young Munster 48
    Shannon 34 Sundays Well 12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

Wegians probably

Kerins and Gallagher to Corinthians. Don't know where Conan O'Donnell went

Terenure beat Old Wesley 24 - 6 and Lansdowne beat St Marys 36 - 17 on Saturday

That leaves Lansdowne playing Old Belvedere in the final - This will double up as their first AIL game this season on Friday September 30th.

Odds for 1A on Paddypower

Applies to Grand Final Winner.
    Clontarf 9/4

Young Munster 7/1

St Marys College 20/1

UCD 10/3

Old Belvedere 9/1

Dublin University 25/1

Cork Con 7/2

Garryowen 14/1

Terenure College 25/1

Lansdowne 7/1

• Advertisement

Odds for 1A on Paddypower

Applies to Grand Final Winner.
    Clontarf 9/4

Young Munster 7/1

St Marys College 20/1

UCD 10/3

Old Belvedere 9/1

Dublin University 25/1

Cork Con 7/2

Garryowen 14/1

Terenure College 25/1

Lansdowne 7/1

Too short to back Tarf same for UCD and Con in my opinion. YM and Lansdowne definitely the best and second best prices there respectively. Would suggest 25-1 is being kind to Trinity having watched them last week, I think unfortunately they will struggle in a big way this year.

So Paddy Power Sees it this way:

1. Clontarf 9/4 - Favourites to win title
    2. UCD 10/3
    3. Cork Con 7/2
    4. Young Munster 7/1
    5. Lansdowne 7/1
    6. Old Belvedere 9/1
    7. Garryowen 14/1
    8. St Marys College 20/1
    9. Terenure College 25/1 - Joint Favourites for Relegation
    10. Dublin University 25/1 - Joint Favourites for Relegation
    My Prediction for a bit of fun so early in the season would be:

1. Clontarf 9/4 - Favourites to win title
    2. Lansdowne 7/1
    3. Cork Con 7/2
    4. Young Munster 7/1
    5. UCD 10/3
    6. Old Belvedere 9/1
    7. Terenure College 25/1
    8. St Marys College 20/1
    9. Garryowen 14/1
    10. Dublin University 25/1 - Joint Favourites for Relegation

I think Belvo look good value at 9/1 & Munsters at 7/1 is pretty good, Marys could offer value at 20/1 also

In general I can see this being a very open league with not a whole lot between any of the teams

Excited for the start of the season now

Too short to back Tarf same for UCD and Con in my opinion. YM and Lansdowne definitely the best and second best prices there respectively. Would suggest 25-1 is being kind to Trinity having watched them last week, I think unfortunately they will struggle in a big way this year.
    Hard to say about Trinity. They have lost quite a few from previous season or two but they should do alright. Wouldn't say they'll struggle in a big way.
    I think Belvo look good value at 9/1 & Munsters at 7/1 is pretty good, Marys could offer value at 20/1 also

In general I can see this being a very open league with not a whole lot between any of the teams

Excited for the start of the season now
    Thoughts on other divisions?

• Advertisement
Advertisement