Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Bank League 2016-2017 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I know a certain someone will appreciate this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think is good news for the AIL

From The Examiner
    Erasmus also had reassuring news for club coaches when he confirmed that he would continue to release all fit players who weren’t required for his match-day 23 to play in the Ulster Bank All-Ireland League.

Though the guys they displace might not be too happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

phog wrote: »

From The Examiner
    Erasmus also had reassuring news for club coaches when he confirmed that he would continue to release all fit players who weren t required for his match-day 23 to play in the Ulster Bank All-Ireland League.

I reckon everyone pretty much everyone will be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ym

thanks to all who gave me directions to trinitys pitch

great result for us (munsters) sat -esp down ther

robin copelands second try was stunning apologies i cant post urls if you google robin copeland try young munster or look at young munster twitter account you will find it, all it was missing was an ickey woods shuffle (google it!)

big game for us saturday home to tarf, safe journey to tarf 1234 and all travelling tarf fans, going to be tough battle , id wish ye luck in the game but ye know i dont mean it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

phog wrote: »

From The Examiner

All depends on when province release the players. If late in week and team may be named already guys will get frustrated. But otherwise its different.

Stainalert wrote: »

Incredible try back to his old ways! He's a quality athlete

1A

Lansdowne v Old Belvedere - Very surprised at the Belvo result last week - Got the better of us twice last season so there won't be any lack of motivation tonight. Hopefully we can squeeze through

St Marys v Trinity - Head says Marys should have enough for Trinity but am going for an away win

Terenure v UCD - UCD look too powerful for a Terenure team that are well understrength due to injuries

Young Munster v Clontarf - After a great away win to Con last week Munsters will be flying high but expect Clontarf to grind out a win

Garryowen v Cork Con - Think Con will get back to winning ways this week

1B

Ballynahinch v Shannon - Hinch at home is a tough task for any team and don't think Shannon have enough to do it

Dolphin v Galwegians - Can Dolphin get a first win? Think Galwegians will make them wait another week

Naas v Buccaneers - Naas in a close one

UCC v Ballymena - Ballymena to make it 3 from 3

UL Bohs v Old Wesley - Great fixture both teams going well - If Wesley are serious about promotion this is a game they have to win.

• Advertisement

1A

Lansdowne v Old Belvedere - If Lansdowne have Dooley and Sexton again then they'll win. If not it will be a very close affair.

St Marys v Trinity - Marys will have too much defensively for Trinity. Trinity won't enjoy the pressure Marys will bring.

Terenure v UCD - Nure really need to get a win but can't see them getting it this week particularly if UCD have the majority of the academy playing for them again this week.

Young Munster v Clontarf - Very tough place to go. Think it will be a very tight game probably lower scoring but as close as the YM v OB game. Tarf to win by 1.

Garryowen v Cork Con - Good win from Garryowen last week but expect Con to win this one.

1B

Ballynahinch v Shannon - Hinch with a home win, wouldn't be surprised if they go the season undefeated at home.

Dolphin v Galwegians - Wegians too strong for Dolphin, who it looks like it may be a long season for.

Naas v Buccaneers - Tough one but I'm going with Naas.

UCC v Ballymena - I think both streaks will continue, Ballymena win.

UL Bohs v Old Wesley - Bohs in great form, should be a great game, Bohs to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    1A

Lansdowne v Old Belvedere - If Lansdowne have Dooley and Sexton again then they'll win. If not it will be a very close affair.

St Marys v Trinity - Marys will have too much defensively for Trinity. Trinity won't enjoy the pressure Marys will bring.

Terenure v UCD - Nure really need to get a win but can't see them getting it this week particularly if UCD have the majority of the academy playing for them again this week.

Young Munster v Clontarf - Very tough place to go. Think it will be a very tight game probably lower scoring but as close as the YM v OB game. Tarf to win by 1.

Garryowen v Cork Con - Good win from Garryowen last week but expect Con to win this one.

1B

Ballynahinch v Shannon - Hinch with a home win, wouldn't be surprised if they go the season undefeated at home.

Dolphin v Galwegians - Wegians too strong for Dolphin, who it looks like it may be a long season for.

L Bohs v Old Wesley - Bohs in great form, should be a great game, Bohs to win.

UCD only have 6 of the 12 that played last weekend against Trinity-Porter Connors and McCarthy injured-Daly A Byrne and Loughman not released by Leinster for whatever reason

Interestingly Jack Kelly makes UBL debut for Trinity tonight at 15 with Colm Hogan(scored an amazing try v UCD last week) at 14-they were both captains of Lein/Mun dev/academy recently. When Fromm comes back from injury and Brian Slater recovers from shoulder surgery Trinity will have a seriously potent backline.

UCD only have 6 of the 12 that played last weekend against Trinity-Porter Connors and McCarthy injured-Daly A Byrne and Loughman not released by Leinster for whatever reason

Interestingly Jack Kelly makes UBL debut for Trinity tonight at 15 with Colm Hogan(scored an amazing try v UCD last week) at 14-they were both captains of Lein/Mun dev/academy recently. When Fromm comes back from injury and Brian Slater recovers from shoulder surgery Trinity will have a seriously potent backline.

UCD team in the Indo has Daly, Byrne & Loughman in it

UCD team in the Indo has Daly, Byrne & Loughman in it

I see that!

I have it on good authority that they are not playing . Indo also has Tom Ryan starting for Trinity-he is not!

I see that!

I have it on good authority that they are not playing . Indo also has Tom Ryan starting for Trinity-he is not!

Fair enough - Think Jack Kelly will go well

That's a serious change around in their team. Really shows the down side of having loads of academy lads, can be gone last minute with little or no notice.

• Advertisement

IRFU are live streaming StMarys v Triniyu on Facebook tonight: http://facebook.com/irishrugby

Trinity have a very good backline. Their 2nds back line is better than quite a lot of AIL2 backlines...

Interesting to see Lansdowne Belvo match tonight is doubling up as Leinster Senior League Cup final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

If anybody is interested the Irish rugby Facebook page are live streaming the mary's vs trinity game at 7:30 tonight. I'd post a link but I use the facebook app so can't should be easy enough to find
    Edit: oops didn't see lost sheep posted this already

1A

1B

UL Bohs v Old Wesley - Bohs in great form, should be a great game, Bohs to win.

So Trinity beat Marys well 31-19-"too much defensively"????????????? Eh i dont think so-was at the game and Trinity full value for their win.

Belvedere beat Lansdowne 16-13 in other 1A game and then Queens beat Malone 40-10 in 2A and Tullamore beat Navan 17-10 in 2C

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Garry123

"Garryowen v Cork Con - Good win from Garryowen last week but expect Con to win this one."

GFC 16-13 Con. You'll get it right some day.

3rd game in succession where Garryowen have gone to uncontested scrums - must be some kind of record !

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

3rd game in succession where Garryowen have gone to uncontested scrums - must be some kind of record !

More like a deliberate policy which they plan for amazing how all props are fit again to start the following week. 7 subs should be the norm within Ail 1a & b at the very least makes a joke of developing front rows. They will never improve if they keep going uncontested but they won't change as they train for it during the week as they seem to have great foresight in knowing that they will go to uncontested scrums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

That was a very badly needed win for nure v UCD. Surprised about that.

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    More like a deliberate policy which they plan for amazing how all props are fit again to start the following week. 7 subs should be the norm within Ail 1a & b at the very least makes a joke of developing front rows. They will never improve if they keep going uncontested but they won't change as they train for it during the week as they seem to have great foresight in knowing that they will go to uncontested scrums

How do you know they train for uncontested scrums? I was at the game, the scrums were even and only went uncontested at the end, hardly planned for.

In their game against Lansdowne they were penalised in the first 5 scrums , their tight head then went off "injured" and the replacement tight head went off after another 5 minutes meaning there were uncontested scrums for 60 minutes. They immediately replaced the 2 second rows with a centre and a hooker (rules mean you have to bring another front row). They then only put 5 / 6 players in the scrums for the rest of the game and were very organised.

Thankfully Garryowen have a brilliant physio and both tightheads were fit to play the next week against Belvo where there were more uncontested scrums

They were down to 12 men against Lansdowne at one stage between yellow cards and having to take a man off due to the uncontested scrums, hence the reduced numbers in the scrum.
    I wasn't at the Belvo game, at what stage did the scrums go uncontested?

I played for the club and while I accept the cynicism I would doubt if they aim for uncontested scrums, it would not be part for the club ethos.

Garryowen were down to 12 men for a maximum of 10 minutes - there was an hour of uncontested scrums and they consistently fielded a scrum of 5 and 6 men. As i mentioned earlier one of the first things they did was replace a second row with a centre - all within the rules but definitely premeditated.

It was very obvious to anyone that the props were strategically removed because they simply weren't good enough

A few of the players quiet openly told me that it is a tactic they use if deemed necessary and depending on opposition prepare during the week for it, no secret and they weren't hiding it, "part of the game" were the exact words I was told

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

The worrying thing for Munster rugby is that if you look at the team sheets you have JP Phelan starting and the replacement is Mike O'Donnell who is another potential academy recruit why do they need to forfeit scrums with those as TH, is the issue in the 2nd row?

Anyway if that is their tactics let them off, game week against them keep the scenario in mind and know what you will do tactically if it presents itself.

BTW I don't buy the whole it's not in the club ethos line, being from Limerick and having played with a few of clubs here down the years I have experienced what they are like in victory and defeat and they are toxic in both.

• Advertisement

BTW I don't buy the whole it's not in the club ethos line, being from Limerick and having played with a few of clubs here down the years I have experienced what they are like in victory and defeat and they are toxic in both.

You're entitled to your opinion but I disagree. What do you consider toxic and Did you experience this toxicity with all the clubs you played with?

I know of another club who trapped a ref in his dressing room after a game, or others who paraded trophies through the city on horseback, or took the trophy to the coast during the off season and toured the pubs with it. You may have played for these clubs.

Turtleshead - I have experienced what they are like in victory and defeat and they are toxic in both.

Being from limerick myself and having played, attended and coached in all the limerick clubs I have experienced what they are like in victory and defeat and they are most definitely not toxic in both.

Please give examples of such toxicness naming the clubs involved,

Garry123
    I know of another club ... who paraded trophies through the city on horseback, or took the trophy to the coast during the off season and toured the pubs with it. 

Is this young munster to whom you refer, while i do remember us (im a young munster man) parading the AIL trophy in 1993 through the city my recollection is that is was entirely done on a bus eireann open top bus and not on horseback. I followed most of the tour that day. Maybe you might give us details about what parts of the city held this horseback parade.

Yes we did tour the pubs and bring the cup to kilkee (the coast) and have a open top bus tour ..but so what, whats wrong with that ...whats the point in playing sport if you cant celebrate a great and rare win

separately two great wins for ye against con and belvo – hards one for ye sat v clontarf but hope ye win, even though i am munsters i have great respect for garryowen and their history and tradition

Fantastic result for munsters at the weekend ,were 15 3 down and got two quick tries before ht to lead 17-15 stayed like that until min to go when tarf got penalty, we got one almost immediately and held on to win. Once again followed by rousing rendition of beautiful munsters. Have trinity next week a saw their game v marys on facebook and was very impressed with them.

After the game when players were walking in the tunnell there were four kids around 6 to 8 yr old ish in the tunnell all decked in munsters kit, most of the munsters lads gave them high fives, but also so did the clontarf lads which i thought in defeat was a very humble gracious and nice thing to do.

ym wrote: »
    Garry123
    I know of another club ... who paraded trophies through the city on horseback, or took the trophy to the coast during the off season and toured the pubs with it. 

Is this young munster to whom you refer, while i do remember us (im a young munster man) parading the AIL trophy in 1993 through the city my recollection is that is was entirely done on a bus eireann open top bus and not on horseback. I followed most of the tour that day. Maybe you might give us details about what parts of the city held this horseback parade.

Yes we did tour the pubs and bring the cup to kilkee (the coast) and have a open top bus tour ..but so what, whats wrong with that ...whats the point in playing sport if you cant celebrate a great and rare win

separately two great wins for ye against con and belvo – hards one for ye sat v clontarf but hope ye win, even though i am munsters i have great respect for garryowen and their history and tradition

YM, I wasn't in the country in '93 so can't comment but previous cup wins would have had horseback parades. Nothing against celebration but trying to understand the toxicity mentioned and gave examples or other clubs, one mans toxicity is another's celebration etc. No offence intended, these pale into insignificance compared to storming a ref.

Indeed separately, 6 of the starting XV are U20, one guy just did his leaving cert. The majority played underage or minis, we lost 5-6 players this summer and have largely built from within.

no problem garry123 i understand you meant no offence- dont forget the goat and Dodo with her pramful of dogs decked in black and amber (albeit they were more before the game(

You talk about Club Ethos like they are holier than though, having played against them I have plenty of experience where club ethos is lacking, not going to go into all the specifics but I will highlight one there were few times when defeated they walked off without clapping us off, that might seem trivial to you but never experienced it with against any other club in Limerick, even the one that trapped a referee in the dressing room (which I didn't play for seeing as you mentioned it)

Again its my opinion, I am sure you are looking at it with blue tinted glasses and you are entitled to disagree.

Never said we were holier than thou or better than anyone else. If you claim ye weren't clapped off I believe you and agree it's bad form. Hardly toxic. I'm not looking through blue tinted glassed, it's you who has the restricted view.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭RuPi

Ulster A to face Leinster A this Saturday at 7pm to allow preparation for the B & I Cup, will certainly effect a good number of AIL clubs. I am not sure if Munster and Connacht have a similar fixture in place.

• Advertisement

It might seem trivial as I said but it is just one example of a number of issues I have had with them down the years, perhaps I am overzealous in my dislike for them and toxic is harsh a term, for that I apologise I let my own experience tar the whole club, that and a bit too much beer watching the golf.

Fantastic result for munsters at the weekend ,were 15 3 down and got two quick tries before ht to lead 17-15 stayed like that until min to go when tarf got penalty, we got one almost immediately and held on to win. Once again followed by rousing rendition of beautiful munsters. Have trinity next week a saw their game v marys on facebook and was very impressed with them.

After the game when players were walking in the tunnell there were four kids around 6 to 8 yr old ish in the tunnell all decked in munsters kit, most of the munsters lads gave them high fives, but also so did the clontarf lads which i thought in defeat was a very humble gracious and nice thing to do.
    Did Coombes and Tynan get a run they were listed on the bench, both are supposed to be excellent.

Things bubbling nicely for YM they have 2 of last years second rows out injured at the moment and still winning, Duggan and Goggin will make a huge difference when fit.

coombes got 20 mins , tynan didnt (dont think he did) , also have ben kilkenny, dave begley, evan ryan to come back and may have copeland for some games,

long way to go , seems it will be a close league like 2 years ago

RuPi wrote: »
    Ulster A to face Leinster A this Saturday at 7pm to allow preparation for the B & I Cup, will certainly effect a good number of AIL clubs. I am not sure if Munster and Connacht have a similar fixture in place.

and people say that the A team don't interfere with the AIL.....

So Trinity beat Marys well 31-19-"too much defensively"????????????? Eh i dont think so-was at the game and Trinity full value for their win.

Saw bits of it and from what I saw would agree. Not the first time I've been wrong.

Garry123 wrote: »
    "Garryowen v Cork Con - Good win from Garryowen last week but expect Con to win this one."

Good result in fairness, I was hardly saying they were going to get hammered or anything!

• Advertisement

coombes got 20 mins , tynan didnt (dont think he did) , also have ben kilkenny, dave begley, evan ryan to come back and may have copeland for some games,

long way to go , seems it will be a close league like 2 years ago

Heard it was very tight right up to the end. Some brain dead stuff from us to lose us the game apparently. YM have been doing well the last few years in particular. I wouldn't be surprised to see them get a home SF and make the final.

tarf1234 - yeah second half was 17-15 to us the whole way through til min to go when ye got pen to go in from, mind you ye were 15-3 up after 30mins approx but we got two converted tries, both the pen we gave away and the one ye gave away at end were preventable

considering some of the hammering ye have given us (remember last march) its a great result

again fair dues to the tarf lads and end with the high fives to the kids

Munsters going well so far this season usually slow starters and come like a steam train after Xmas but force to be reckoned with and a lot of peoples favourites to take cup back to Munster this year.

Good result in fairness, I was hardly saying they were going to get hammered or anything!

You predicted an easy home win for Belvo the week before, the crystal ball might need buffing .
    It's a much better league than is perceived by the media and the Munster/Leinster/Connacht/Ulster all my life brigades

You predicted an easy home win for Belvo the week before, the crystal ball might need buffing .
    It's a much better league than is perceived by the media and the Munster/Leinster/Connacht/Ulster all my life brigades

My crystal ball on the blink also - 1A proving to be a very unpredictable league so far and probably the best thing about it is that every team in the league is capable of beating each other.

• Advertisement
Advertisement