Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Naas

Options
  • 09-06-2016 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi. I am considering taking a job in Naas. We've been renting in Dublin for the last few years and its looking unlikely that we'll ever be able to buy here. Could anyone offer any advice on where would be a good place to buy in Naas and what the schools are like? All help would be greatly appreciated as this is a HUGE decision for us

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

Hi. I am considering taking a job in Naas. We've been renting in Dublin for the last few years and its looking unlikely that we'll ever be able to buy here. Could anyone offer any advice on where would be a good place to buy in Naas and what the schools are like? All help would be greatly appreciated as this is a HUGE decision for us

Place has gone to the dogs in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fionnuala75

Why do you say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You may get more helpful replies in the Kildare forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Have a look at daft or myhome, There are parts of Naas that are comparable in price to parts of Dublin. Were I moving to work in Naas from Dublin I'd start looking at places like Kilcullen,Caragh,Clane and as an outside bet Newbridge. Rent's in any of the first 3 would be cheaper than Naas but you would need your own transport. Newbridge would be the dearest but has good public transport to Naas.

Thanks. I've looked on daft and there seem to b a good few between 230000 and 300000. Believe me there is nothing comparable in Dublin. Having said that, maybe the estates in Naas that are that price aren't great?....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭pobber1

I have lived in Naas for over 30 years, it's a nice place to live. There are plenty of houses for sale in the range you are looking at. If you end up commuting back into Dublin it can be a pain, I did it for 10 years (car, train, buses). There are plenty of good schools and there is a new secondary school planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Friends live in Monread Heights, and have spent some time there. Nice area with great access to parkland and playground. I'd happily live there. Don't know about any other areas.
    Sallins is five minutes away by car, and the closest train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭john_johnerson

You could take your pick. Bad areas are few and far between. Schools are generally all good and the ring roads make the hospital accessible from everywhere.

We moved to the jigginstown area 8 years ago as it has easy access to all the ring roads and to junction 10 on the motorway for a Dublin commute. No complaints either, its close to town, sports centre etc.

Only issue now would be a hold up of traffic between junction 10 and 9 in the mornings and evenings. You will be quicker if you're closer to junction 9 but annoying and all as it is, it's only 10 minutes or so.

As an total outsider I'd recommend it as a place to live. Great selection of sports and social clubs for all ages and as for a selection of pubs and restaurants, few equivalent sized towns would have better.

Thanks a million john-johnerson. That's great to hear. It's a bit daunting when neither of us know the place. My husband can set his own hours so will prob leave later to avoid morning rush but might be an issue coming home. Do you know what time the traffic dies down a bit?

Going in early and home early is always the best bet. The traffic in general can vary wildly on any given day. It's a typical motorway, if there's an accident there'll be a back log. The advantage of Naas is that once you know there's an accident on the way home you can get off at loads of exits as far back as black church and use back roads.

Problems in the morning are particularly bad from the m9 motorway to junction 10 if there's an accident. It'll get better at junction 9 where the road increases to 3 lanes though. Basically. If you have minutes to spare you can be clever. There are definitely worse places to commute from. Bus, train and luas are options too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

If you put up a few links to houses we can give you some guidance on them

I would recommend looking in the northern part of town....gleann Na Riogh, dun na Riogh, morrell, kerdiff etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I moved to Naas 2 years ago from Celbridge. I love the place.

Im living on Ballymore Rd which is very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Not sure what size chip is on this guys shoulder, couldn't be further from the truth.

Naas is probably the best commuter town out of Dublins surrounding counties. Great access connections north and south, great surrounding countryside and facilities. Plenty of restaurants and bars with really good food. Infrastructure is continual so it is never stagnant. Great shopping options locally and you're still 15/20 mins from m50.

I live in Sallins as my wife has lived there since 1999. I like the small village feel and being a stones throw to Naas.

Probably best for you to take a trip down and spend some time. Personally, I like the areas around the Dublin road on the way into Naas, the monread area is nice too. I believe houses are snapped up in this area quickly. Lots of houses being built at the moment.

Best of luck

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/40-kerdiff-park-naas-co-kildare/3607221

Certainly not built in 1988.

I believe this was a,show house.

Big green area in front and end of cul de sac. Good location this one

Thanks everyone for the replies. We took a drive down at the weekend and really like the feel of the estates, especially near the dublin rd paddylonglegs. We stopped outside that house in Kerdiff Lex Luther and the sun was shining, children were playing.....need to come back in the rain!!

Thanks everyone for the replies. We took a drive down at the weekend and really like the feel of the estates, especially near the dublin rd paddylonglegs. We stopped outside that house in Kerdiff Lex Luther and the sun was shining, children were playing.....need to come back in the rain!!

That is always a busy green area there in Kerdiff as the kids have put up goals and always kicking a ball on it. The park is literally 2 min walk from it.

When you turned off the Monread road direction Kerdiff, take your immediate left into Aylmer. This is another estate built circa 1995. Lots of houses of different size/shape in here with green areas. Just passed Kerdiff about 200m on the left is into Dun na Riogh. Late 90's build, popular estate and behind it is Gleann na Riogh. Same style houses with variety of semi & detached, but mostly semis. Also very populare houses s they are easily extended and most if not all come with the converted garage to the side with large utility rooms to the rear. Close proximity to the park and also quick access to the N7 from junction 9 various routes in & out of the estates.
    Houses are usually snapped up very quick in these estates in the right locations

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seashells000

Hi everyone
    Hi everyone

I'm jumping on this thread as I'm also moving to Kildare I'm looking for some information and advice. We have recently sold our house in Dublin and we are looking to relocate to Kildare. My husband will be commuting to Dublin. We have come across the village of Caragh just outside Naas and have found a house that we really like. The trouble is we know nothing about the village. Can anyone give me any information on the village?

ie;
    Is it a nice place to live?
    How is the traffic?
    Is there any anti-social behavior?
    Is it a well to do area?

Also the national school seems to be quite big for a small village so I'm also interested in where the demand is coming from. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Caragh is exactly what you see. A nice small village. It's close enough to Naas for all the bigger nessessities.

No social problems that I know of. Will get a bit noisy the odd weekend when modello is on.

As for the school. I live on the caragh road side of Naas and I'd be aware of people sending their kids to caragh. This would be for traffic reasons or perhaps cause they're heading that way in the morning.

I'd have no issues living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 chitchat01

hi all. does anyone have any recommendations for schools in naas? are there any mixed schools or are they all boy or girl?

chitchat01 wrote: »
    hi all. does anyone have any recommendations for schools in naas? are there any mixed schools or are they all boy or girl?

Primary or Secondary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 chitchat01

both really, but i suppose primary is the most important for now, little one will only be starting school in a year or so. for now he is still in creche.

chitchat01 wrote: »
    both really, but i suppose primary is the most important for now, little one will only be starting school in a year or so. for now he is still in creche.

Ballycane is the best primary in my experience. I have had kids go through most of the schools in Naas. It's a mixed school.

I think Naas is fairly lucky with the schools. I don't think any of them are considered bad but there are a few idiosyncrasies.

The convent in the town also takes boys up until second class I think when the boys would switch to st corbans. I believe St corbans from this year now has infant classes so this arrangement may be changing but there are still boys in junior infants in the convent as of this year.

Ballycane used to only cater for kids up to second class where they would automatically switch to the convent or st corbans although this may not now be the case.

The Gael scoil and Piper's hill are relatively normal.

We picked the convent and corbans for our kids, not for religious​ reasons but basically because they'll be able to walk to school when they get older. This may be worth considering depending on where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ncit9933

Scoile Bhride on the Sallins road beside GAA is mixed all the way through - Junior infants to 6th

ncit9933 wrote: »
    Scoile Bhride on the Sallins road beside GAA is mixed all the way through - Junior infants to 6th

both my lads went through scoil bhride and I spekvery highly of it
    there is a new principal this year who has a high emphasis on sports

Advertisement