Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dreaded speed wobble...

Options
  • 09-06-2016 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Had first wobble about 6 weeks ago on a short straight descent doing just under 60km. My worst experience on a bike. Managed to get stopped without hitting the road. This was followed by my second wobble coming down from the caha pass on the Ring of Beara two weeks ago. Thought that was a bit suss so I had the bike checked over. Turns out the bike is perfect. So that just leaves me. Feel as if I,ve completely lost my nerve on the bike. Even on slight descents now I,m waiting for my next wobble. Any advice?:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's quite common. Loosen your grip on the bars and clamp your knees against the top bar for a few seconds to break the rhythm of the oscillation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

was the surface wet/moist? how are your tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 trav1963

Dry road, new enough tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Is there any chance your saddle could have moved back?

By bringing your saddle forward it will put more weight of the front end.

If not, knees on the cross bar as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

only ever experienced it once. scared the s*it out of me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Had a few myself a few years back. Plus one on gripping top tube with knees if you feel it coming on -harder to do if in the middle of a severe one, but it is something you can practice.
    Got a new bike and it hasn't happened since. Old bike was checked and nothing wrong with it. Just a harmonic oscillation.
    Also try shifting you weight right back in saddle, or keep pedalling. Only happened me freewheeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I was lucky enough to meet a certain ex-pro on a spin not long after my one and only speed wobble. I completely lost my nerve re descending and the advice I got was. Put the tip of your tongue between your teeth and you will feel yourself bite as you tense up. This will remind you to relax and take your mind off what might happen and keep you concentrating on what is happening.

Very simple advice but it helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It's quite common. Loosen your grip on the bars and clamp your knees against the top bar for a few seconds to break the rhythm of the oscillation.

That's the best advice I've always heard for decreasing speed wobble.

I get speed wobble on my bike when I'm descending above ~60 km/h. I've always had it with my current bike. Over the years tyres, wheels, stem, saddle have all be changed from OEM, but the speed wobble still exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Coming down off spelga dam at gran fondo Belfast at 85km/hr last Sunday.
    I could see the white light.
    Bike came out of it thank God.
    Pheeewwww

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Personally, I would change my bike if that happened to me. I would want my bike to be rock steady at high speeds and I wouldn't ride something that was inherently unstable.
    Sober forum advice about what to do with your knees and bars and all that has its place, but it's a different story when the bars are whipping left and right, the whole bike is bucking like a bronco and the horizon is a blur and you're drifting uncontrollably into the opposite lane and an oncoming car.
    I don't accept that it's a natural occurrence or part of riding a bike or just "one of those things".
    Personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fat bloke wrote: »
    Personally, I would change my bike if that happened to me. I would want my bike to be rock steady at high speeds and I wouldn't ride something that was inherently unstable.
    Sober forum advice about what to do with your knees and bars and all that has its place, but it's a different story when the bars are whipping left and right, the whole bike is bucking like a bronco and the horizon is a blur and you're drifting uncontrollably into the opposite lane and an oncoming car.
    I don't accept that it's a natural occurrence or part of riding a bike or just "one of those things".
    Personally.
    It has nothing to do with the bike itself and it doesn't drift uncontrollably into the opposite lane. The frame merely begins to go into a series of oscillations within itself. It has happened to me on several different bikes and we were only discussing it on a club ride recently. Several other club members had experienced it but didn't realise that it is quite common.

The first time I experienced it was on the 55k descent of the Timmelsjoch Pass. (http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Col=Passo-Rombo-Timmelsjoch&qryMountainID=1286) It scared the crap out of me but I was with my brother in law at the time who had experienced it before and knew what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

It never happened to me, but perhaps I don't cycle long enough? Had 3 quite different bikes so far. Either way I am chickenshoite on descents even without the wobble...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

fat bloke wrote: »
    Personally.

Can't guarantee it won't happen on the next bike too? Happen me coming down Kilmacanogue at around 70km/h. Top tube clamping worked. Have descended at similar and higher speeds since and it hasn't happened. A weird one. Am also eh!tty descender and tend to tense up so...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Alek wrote: »
    It never happened to me, but perhaps I don't cycle long enough? Had 3 quite different bikes so far. Either way I am chickenshoite on descents even without the wobble...

It's never happened to me either. I've been cycling for the last 30 years. It may help that I grew up on a hill, the start of every spin was a descent.

Descending is all about stating relaxed. Push your arse slightly back out of the saddle and lightly grip the top tube with your legs. Hold the bars as lightly as you can can and feather the brakes. Has anyone a video of a speed wobble?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Can't guarantee it won't happen on the next bike too? Happen me coming down Kilmacanogue at around 70km/h. Top tube clamping worked. Have descended at similar and higher speeds since and it hasn't happened. A weird one. Am also eh!tty descender and tend to tense up so...

This is one time a new bike isn't the answer.

Have you a short descent near your house or a descent you do regularly you can practice on?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Stay relaxed and let your arms absorb any vibrations, if you tense up there will be small movements in the bars that can lead to tank slappers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

lennymc wrote: »
    Stay relaxed and let your arms absorb any vibrations, if you tense up there will be small movements in the bars that can lead to tank slappers

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056681365/1

Thread here on descending.

Previous poster made a worthwhile contribution. Motorcyclists are good for something I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

had one coming down Kippure last year, was eyeing up some heather to break my fall but managed to control it, think a rough patch of road started the oscillation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

im to much of a chicken to go fast enough to get a speed wobble, the thoughts of taking layers of skin off with the help of gravity and the road are enough to keep me upright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

Here's a video and some more info:

http://cyclingtips.com/2011/03/speed-wobble-when-the-bike-shakes-its-head/

Sometimes a better bike is the answer :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Happened to me few years back, crashed because of it and am now permanently injured unforch.

I thought front wheel was loose so I went into grass at side of road thinking it would slow me down, went down and bounced a few times.

Bike was mechanically sound, but I think I took a blackout and woke up to this amazing wobble and had to take evasive action as described.

Speedo showed 75 k as max speed.

Often wonder what would have happened if I stayed in bed that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Had it a few times but as a result of descending on deep sections and being blasted by cross winds. Certain I was ditch bound but saved it. Scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Look ahead of you, not in front of you
    Arms relaxed and elbows bent, gently cover your brakes with the tips of your fingers
    Normal breathing and relax

You are in a meadow.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    Look ahead of you, not in front of you
    Arms relaxed and elbows bent, gently cover your brakes with the tips of your fingers
    Normal breathing and relax

You are in a meadow.....

Isn't that where you might end up if you miss the turn and go hurtling down into a valley? :pac: :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Simplifying it a little, is a speed wobble not just a sudden amplification of an oscillation that is always there as we cycle; then at certain speeds, rider position, weight, grip, bike stiffness, tyres and pressure, surface roughness we hit a natural frequency which causes the sudden oscillation?

I'd rather proactively avoid it, so if a certain bike/set up/grip makes it more likely it would be best to avoid that set up. So far I've managed to avoid it and I climb quite a bit. While I'm no Lennymc I do enjoy descending and maybe being relaxed helps,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Is there a speed at which you may hit such a wobble, i.e. below 50kph and it's unlikely? I've never experienced it either but I don't hit some of the speeds you guys hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Get down low and forward, relax your arms, and look ahead. It also helps if you're not a featherweight, so eat pies. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Jaysus....I think I'm scared to descend after reading this thread and the linked one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

Thankfully I've never experienced the wobbles... have maxed out at 68 kmph on downhills on a steel frame recently, but had a spill last weekend on a climb ðŸ™

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I had the wobbles for years :)
    It got worse and worse in that occurred more and more often. It was either cure it or give up cycling. I knew the fault was in myself and not the bike as I keep my bikes in good order and it happened on any bike I owned. First thing I discovered killed the wobble instantly was raising your arse off the saddle. This is against your instinct - but it works in the same manner that if "twang" an elastic band it stops vibrating the instant you let one end go...

After that I concentrated on relaxing. I also heard that advise about putting your tongue between your teeth and a second bit of advise I got was "hold the bar like you are holding a fountain pen..." After that get low and relax your arms. I have a theory that most wobbles start when the rider locks their arms. If you want to corner hard you lock the inside arm and push the bar away from you , if you tense up and lock both arms the bike tries to steer hard to either side and this may be what starts the wobble. Some things common in people who get wobbles: Usually they are tall. Usually the first time it happens is when they get a scare - a close pass, a pothole or a sidewind. These things all can cause you to tense for a moment and instigate the wobble. One other thing - I've never known anyone to get a wobble while pedaling normally ( you may get one if you are pedaling at VERY high cadence) I believe this is because pedaling in itself causes you to relax somewhat. Usually a rider gets nervous, ceases pedaling and sits up and back whilst pushing away with handlebar and this pretty much guarantees a wobble.

Stick with it, and the moment you feel its going to start raise your backside and lower your chest and bend and relax arms and remember a gentle yet safe grip on bars

Advertisement