Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dreaded speed wobble...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Are people that suicidal that they would do such mad speeds ?:eek:
    It beggars belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Are people that suicidal that they would do such mad speeds ?:eek:
    It beggars belief.
    It's not caused by high speed alone but by the actions of the rider while descending at speed. I was doing 80km/h on a descent last Sunday and the bike behaved perfectly because I was totally relaxed. 99% of the time it doesn't occur. For me, it's most likely to occur on a very long and bitterly cold Alpine descent where it's more difficult to relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It's not caused by high speed alone but by the actions of the rider while descending at speed. I was doing 80km/h on a descent last Sunday and the bike behaved perfectly because I was totally relaxed. 99% of the time it doesn't occur. For me, it's most likely to occur on a very long and bitterly cold Alpine descent where it's more difficult to relax.

It was those speeds I was referring to:)
    I really don't envy you coming off the bike at those speeds.
    If you want to give me your address I'll arrange for some men in white coats to pay a house call;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

I winder if it ever happens in the pro peloton?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

omri wrote: »
    I winder if it ever happens in the pro peloton?

If it doesn't happen to fat amateurs like me, I seriously doubt it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It was those speeds I was referring to:)
    I really don't envy you coming off the bike at those speeds.
    If you want to give me your address I'll arrange for some men in white coats to pay a house call;)

The key is not to come off the bike.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I have found over the years that anxiety (fear?) or cold can bring it on. A combination of the two descending Lauteret on a rainy day in July was my worst ever cycling experience (other than a few crashes). The only bike related aspect were the flat bars which seemed to amplify the shivers more than drops.
    I have largely gotten over the fear factor unless I am pushing myself too far and start thinking of the consequences. It's probably not a bad safety measure once you respond in time! The cold still gets to me a bit in Winter and Spring until I find a hill to attack though the much lauded Galibier jacket has been a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Brian? wrote: »
    If it doesn't happen to fat amateurs like me, I seriously doubt it.

Given the role of genetics in determining who makes the pro circuit I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it happened to some "all engine no ECU" pro

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

cajonlardo wrote: »
    Raise your backside and lower your chest and bend and relax arms and remember a gentle yet safe grip on bars

This, along with being in the drops, has always worked for me. For rougher surfaces on the CX bike, having the ass slightly out and to the back of the saddle makes life much easier. That said, I typically don't go above the mid 60s on most spins and considerably less where I've poor sight lines.

Advertisement