Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension for an external Staircase estimate

Options
  • 09-06-2016 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi All,

I've tried to find information around this but all I can ever find is the general cost of building per square meter/foot so I'm just hoping for a rough guess from some people who would know more please.

I live in a detached two storey in Meath. To make more space upstairs we have been seriously considering building an extension to one side of our house for a staircase and then removing our internal staircase to gain both the floor area upstairs and downstairs. For our house layout, it makes a lot of sense.

Anyway, the actual work would involve making an open doorway in the external wall of our dining room downstairs and another open doorway upstairs which would be directly into the upstairs hallway. The length of this extension is roughly 5.9meters, and to make the stairs nice and wide, I'm going to go with 1 meter wide. We were thinking that we do not want the stairs connected to the existing roof so probably going with a sloping roof following the stairs elevation.
    Also, a window and the top and the bottom of the stairs. Haven't decided on putting a wooden stairs or concrete steps in, probably if there is a massive cost difference, that would be the factor. Regarding the type of build, I was thinking of standard block build and then clad the outside in shingles that I could do myself afterwards if needed so nothing too fancy.

Theres no plumbing needed and there would be electrical work for some lighting in the new stairs.

I know theres probably a few unknown variables but would anyone be able to give some idea of what I'm looking at cost wise for this idea. Going by the average €1500-€1700 per square meter, I guess that I'm looking at around 9-10k. Is that reasonable considering its partly a 2 story extension?

Thanks in advance,

Seamus

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I know theres probably a few unknown variables but would anyone be able to give some idea of what I'm looking at cost wise for this idea. Going by the average €1500-€1700 per square meter, I guess that I'm looking at around 9-10k. Is that reasonable considering its partly a 2 story extension?

Thanks in advance,

Seamus

No, scale of economies come into play.
    €1500 per Sq. M only works for an average sized project, you couldn't build a 1 Sq. M extension for €1500 if you get me.

Part 2 storey extension with new stairs, then filling in ope, finishes and what not, 20kish.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wimpybeaver

Thanks kceire,

Yeah, that makes sense. Didn't really think of it that way :-)

As a matter of interest, do economies of scale come into play a little more if I was doing other work thats "not physically connected" to the stairs?

In other words, I have a plan to also build an extension on another part of the house (single storey cottage) for an on suite bathroom. 2.4 x 3.7 meters, but that was a more medium term plan that I was going to do later since we don't live in the cottage part currently. It is connected to the two storey we live in tho, just for information.

I guess, the question is, theres obviously a cost to get men on site and start a project. If they have to dig two separate foundations for two physically disconnected extensions. Would there be much of a saving to be had in getting them done at the same time?

In my mind, I didn't think so, so I had them planned as two separate jobs to do over time.

Oh, thanks for the initial estimate by the way.

Thanks Again,

Seamus

Advertisement