Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to edinburgh in october?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dingdangdoo22

folks, I'm guessing it will be near impossible to get our own place straight off the bat? imagine any agencies wont entertain us for apts until they see proof of a job? is spareroom or gumtree the way to go for when we first arrive do you think? did ye guys do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

folks, I'm guessing it will be near impossible to get our own place straight off the bat? imagine any agencies wont entertain us for apts until they see proof of a job? is spareroom or gumtree the way to go for when we first arrive do you think? did ye guys do the same?

As with all things depends how much money you have. If you have no job and no one to act as guarantor you will likely find you need 6 months rent up front. When we moved originally we just paid the 6 months makes the whole process a lot easier!

i hear ya, we will have a fair chunk of cash allright but i dont think i want to go down the road of 6 mths in advance.
    think it will be spareroom or gumtree until we get sorted with jobs, on spareroom earlier i was surprised at the prices being asked for! alot of 500-600 for a room only! granted it was all inclusive but still expensive, for an extra 100 or 200 you would get your own place. Anyway one way flights booked today for the 9th September :-) woohoo!

That's crazy! When we first moved to Edinburgh we had a 1 bed for £575 it was actually quite nice too! The kitchen was unreal the standing space was about 2sqft never seen a "room" so small! Good luck on the search everyone's pretty sound here so sharing will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Rent for 1 beds seems to have gone up by at least £75 a month , based on what my friends were renting about 3 years ago. Saucy enough for a shoe box.

On the other end, there's a gaff in Bruntsfield offering a double room for 1400 pm, they must be mad.

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »
    Rent for 1 beds seems to have gone up by at least £75 a month , based on what my friends were renting about 3 years ago. Saucy enough for a shoe box.

On the other end, there's a gaff in Bruntsfield offering a double room for 1400 pm, they must be mad.

WTF! Bruntsfield is nice but thats just crazy! Maybe they forgot to add it also comes with another bedroom, kitchen, sitting room, office, utility room and pleasant garden! There's a couple of 1 beds in Stockbridge for around £700 I prefer there to Bruntsfield nice villagey kind of feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

The only thing about going in Sept/early Oct is that you'll coincide with the tail-end of the student renting frenzy. Student leases in Edinburgh usually run Sept to July so landlords can let it out to festival-goers in August. But you'll have a better choice in terms of a long-term let - just hang in there til the students get out of the way.

Rents are going up a bit these days - we paid around £1300 a month for a fairly big 4-bed in Polwarth/Merchiston last year. (It definitely needed some paint though!)

But other than that best of luck with it :D I moved home a few months ago but I really, really miss it!

That gaff in Bruntsfield is gone from Gumtree now. Or maybe someone took it at that price!!!
    Would be a tough one for me with Bruntsfield vs Stockbridge

* Blackbird vs Hamilton's
    * Rearburn vs Montpelliers
    * Inverleith Park vs Meadows

Stockbridge would probably just about shade it.

are the above all good places too razorblunt? actually that's where I'm hoping to move to when I get over, somewhere with a villagey feel to it...any other places other than stockbridge that have this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

razorblunt wrote: »

Possibly a festival let?

• Advertisement

on a different note I'm guessing theres no way to get national insurance number before going over?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

are the above all good places too razorblunt? actually that's where I'm hoping to move to when I get over, somewhere with a villagey feel to it...any other places other than stockbridge that have this?

Portobello is nice. Leith a bit edgier but it has a good feel.

Possibly a festival let?

Nah, it was a let for the year with two mature students apparently.
    The only thing I thought of was that they may have listed the entire rental price and then break it down to the room charge per month in the ad, but that wasn't the case.

Yeah Stockbridge is lovely but you'd pay a bit extra for a place there, but it's worth it. I live in Murrayfield and it's really missing that kind of village vibe but then again it's not really trying to pretend it has it either. Stockbridge is just lucky I guess in that it's an anomaly.

For example, I'd actually consider this an ok price for a 2bed place down there: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-54921565.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

on a different note I'm guessing theres no way to get national insurance number before going over?

Nope - the application process here says you have to be here to apply.
    First Up wrote: »
    Portobello is nice. Leith a bit edgier but it has a good feel.

I reckon Portobello must be great in the summer with the promenade, but the few times I've been out there it's always struck me as fairly quiet. Marchmont or Bruntsfield (that let mentioned upthread notwithstanding!) are probably still my preferred areas for balancing a nice mix of things going on in the immediate area with rents that aren't obscene (Morningside even more so than Stockbridge, I'm looking at you).

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

See canonmills also, it's close to Stockbridge and leith walk. Has a nice vibe to it and rent a bit cheaper than Stockbridge.

Has the planning permission to knock that wee café in Canonmills definitely gone through? I know it was originally granted but I thought it was then petitioned and rechallenged.
    Such a shame if they do go ahead and just build more places there.

Which one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Fysh wrote: »
    Nope - the application process here says you have to be here to apply.

I reckon Portobello must be great in the summer with the promenade, but the few times I've been out there it's always struck me as fairly quiet. Marchmont or Bruntsfield (that let mentioned upthread notwithstanding!) are probably still my preferred areas for balancing a nice mix of things going on in the immediate area with rents that aren't obscene (Morningside even more so than Stockbridge, I'm looking at you).

Portobello and Craigintinny have history. There is a reason the beach is quiet.

As I said.. Fife. No reason why a social life would suffer. I did it from a teen till I moved to Dublin.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

prinzeugen wrote: »
    As I said.. Fife. No reason why a social life would suffer. I did it from a teen till I moved to Dublin.

Whereabouts in Fife would you suggest? I don't know anything about it really so can't comment, but I've known a few folk who live in Fife but drive into Edinburgh for work every day and it just sounds like a lot of hassle. Suggestions of areas or towns which are well set up and lively would probably be helpful to the OP. I'm guessing St Andrews would be one of them, but haven't even been to the place myself so have no idea what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Fysh wrote:
    Whereabouts in Fife would you suggest? I don't know anything about it really so can't comment, but I've known a few folk who live in Fife but drive into Edinburgh for work every day and it just sounds like a lot of hassle. Suggestions of areas or towns which are well set up and lively would probably be helpful to the OP. I'm guessing St Andrews would be one of them, but haven't even been to the place myself so have no idea what it's like.

A lot of Edinburgh folk have properties in the area known as the East Neuk - Pittenweem, Anstruther, St Monance etc. but its too far for a daily commute. More a weekend bolt hole.

Lovely area.

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote: »
    Which one?

Earth café, on the left by the traffic lights before the petrol station.
    They've got the Canon Court Apts across from them already.

Earthy canonmills? The cafe with a hipster mini market attached? Surprising that it would be destroyed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OP, there's also a shiny new Scotland forum on boards where you may get more info from locals http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1764

Gaspode wrote: »
    OP, there's also a shiny new Scotland forum on boards where you may get more info from locals http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1764

Yay that's great had missed that addition.

Gordon wrote: »
    Earthy canonmills? The cafe with a hipster mini market attached? Surprising that it would be destroyed.

Yeah, that's the one. Seems to have been sold from under them. Such a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Not exactly the most fun spot for a newcomer to the area though. If you're trying to get to know new people you'll find it a lot easier in Edinburgh than in a smallish town in Fife.

Really? You will meet more "newcomers" in Fife than in Edinburgh.

Most people in Edinburgh are there just to say they were there.. In a Hipster way.

Most people in Edinburgh are there just to say they were there.. In a Hipster way.

I haven't lived in Fife, so it's difficult for me to compare directly, but I haven't gotten that impression about people moving to Edinburgh so far. Given Edinburgh has an estimated population of half a million people, if "most" people were like that I'd expect to have seen more of the phenomenon by now ;) Having said that, I can certainly imagine there being more people "passing through" Edinburgh than Fife, in the way that tends to happen with any big city.

On a more general note, I've found that there's a lot of activity through the likes of meetup.com based around Edinburgh which can be very helpful as a newcomer to the city. I assume there are also groups based around Fife, so either way it's worth taking a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

You definately won't meet more newcomers in Fife than in Edinburgh, that's just plain wrong. There's nothing wrong with Fife but let's not make it out to be something that's it not, advising people to move there ahead of Edinburgh would be like advising someone moving to Dublin from overseas to move to Kildare or Meath ahead of the city.

If you want to live in a city you'll live in Edinburgh or Glasgow, if you want to live in a semi-rural/urban area like fife that's where you'll live. Let's be honest, the bast majority of young professionals etc. are going to much prefer to live in Edinburgh than in Burntisland or Dunfermline, it's jsut the way life is.

Advertisement