Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two Femals Cats Peeing everywhere

• 10-06-2016 12:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I have 3 cats, one male and female are 9 and the other female is 7.

Never had and issue with the male cat.

We had a litter tray for years but eventually couldn't hack the small of it in the kitchen. About 5 years ago we removed the litter tray and the cats adjusted grand and were doing the business outside.

2 years after removing the litter tray the eldest female started peeing on the counters. This went on for about 2 weeks and was almost a daily occurrence.
    We sussed out she had a UTI so we got her all sorted for that. But even still maybe twice a week we are coming down in the morning to pee on the counters. The other female cat is joining in and also peeing on the counters!

Its more or less a daily occurrence that we find pee on the counters now.
    Literally 5 minutes ago the power tripped in the house from the oldest female cat peeing so much into a socket on the counter that it tripped!

We have gone through multiple types of spray to clean up the pee. We even tried re-introducing the litter tray. Which the male cat used no bother but really he just kicks the litter all over the floor. The female cats just continued to pee on the counters.

Not sure what to be doing next. We have to find some way to put an end to this. We have 4 young kids and cannot be coming down to puddles of cat wee on out counters every day.

The MDF counter top is actually bubbled up in one or two places from the amount of pee that had soaked up into it. So we need to replace the counter tops and tiling on the walls as there is pee soaked up into them too. But if we do this I think they are just going to pee again..... Totally don't know what to do next. Our cats are part of the family so getting rid of them is not an option (just incase someone was going to suggest it) but I need to find a solution. A miracle spray or something.....

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You say you've gone through multiple sprays but that the tiles and counter is soaked in it; I think you have two problems here to be honest.

First of all your previous sprays have not removed the pee protein properly (common mistake is to spray and not leave it to do it's work for a while) which means the smell for the cats is still of pee on the counter. This then triggers them to pee there again and is the most likely trigger for your second cat starting to pee there. As it's still swollen up this means the smell is now most likely ingrained in to it so your chances of getting it removed are very slim but if you go with something like OdorXit (need to import it but it's the best pee remover I've found to date) and let it soak for half an hour twice times you might get it done.

Second problem ties in to the first; because of the smell this has now become a habit of the girls that this is a pee spot. Cats are creatures of habit so the fact they have gone so many times means you'd need to break this cycle. First of all is the toilet as you've put down but go for a covered one to try to reduce the amount they kick out. Also drop the pee in there if possible to get the smell started. Secondly you need to discourage your cats to go on the counter; one of the easier ways of doing that is an automatic air spray such as this but it has to be put in place AFTER the toilet (and the toilet should be as close to the spot they normally pee to help redirect the peeing, you can start moving it away slowly after a month by about 1cm a day to the final spot). Spray alone is not going to be sufficient which is why you need to combine it with the proper cleaning and having the toilet close by to redirect the behavior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

You had 3 cats and 1 litter tray and it stank? Im not surprised. You need a tray per cat plus 1. And you need to be cleaning then out daily so they do not stink. Cats dont want to use a dirty litter tray. If you can smell it, they can smell it worse. The litter trays also need to be big enough that the cat isnt just kicking litter everywhere.

As above, the cat pee has soaked into the counter-tops now so thats why they are still using them.

I think to resolve this you need to break the habit (as well as replacing the counter tops). Can you not give the female cats access to the kitchen and then allow them access to somewhere that has clean litter trays and more than just 1 between them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Baybay

Consider also buying a good quality clumping litter. It is more expensive but easier to clean & less waste. It smells ok too.
    Our lad is going through a phase just now where he'll come inside to use the tray. (His version of kitty beach maybe!) If I haven't noticed, he'll only use it twice before reminding me to clean it out so maybe yours would like a bigger tray or more of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭goodlad

When we reintroduced the litter tray it was only for about a month to trial it. Hasnt been a tray for a few years now. Using a litter tray again isnt an option, and using more than one deffo isnt possible as there is barely enough space to put one into the room, let alone 3.

The cats dont have free roam of the house. Because they pee in random places when they do. They have beds in the kitchen and do wander in there and out outside all day.

I have soaked the counter top in urine off a few times. From both the top and side so it could soak into the wood. But its a losing battle trying to clean it at this stage. So deffo need to replace the counter tops.

Will also try the spray deterrent once the new counter tops are put in and keep my fingers crossed that will be enough. I can only hope that with new counters and the deterrent spray it will be enough.

Don't allow them in the house, problem solved.

• Advertisement

Well now i just walked into the kitchen and found pee all over the front of the dish washer. They have never gone there before..... ffs......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

If you change their daily routine like this then you just risk causing them more stress and possibly developing other negative behaviours in response.

I don't really think the solution to any problem like this is to just kick them out.

If litter trays aren't an option then all you can really do is replace the counters, clean as best you can and hope they go outside.

Edit - Perhaps you cold try putting a litter box outside? It could help encourage them to use it and you wont get the smell in your house. A lot of people do this and it can be quite successful.

Ah i deffo wouldn't kick them out. I have them since they were 8 weeks old. They are all members of the family, but they just have a problem that im really trying to find a solution for.

Its just getting very out of hand, like the pee on the dish washer just now. No reason for it at all. She literally strolled in from outside, pee on it then walked back out.

With this kinda thing happening it makes me wonder if changing the counters will have any effect at all. I had tried to relocate them outside previously. I bought them a little house out the back. Moved their blankets out to it for them. They stood at the back door for 2 nights wet and crying. They just had no interest in sleeping outside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Have you spoken to their vet about it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Take them to the vet to check for UTI again; it has a tendency to come back and can be stress related (i.e. new cat around outside). Also you said they are limited in the house "because they peed everywhere" but once again if you can find a suitable location to put down 4 toilets (cats + 1) and keep them clean (remove poo/pee twice a day) that could also help because if it's stress driven peeing (i.e. territorial) this means the cats are freaked out that they are "losing" their space out there. The peeing the becomes a way to make things smell right as it belongs to them. Also are you feeding them inside or out? Because if you feed them outside there may be another cat around who's eating there as well who'd stress them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

If you allow the cats free entry and exit to the house, how sure are you that it is actually your cats who are doing it all of the time? Could at least some of it be an "outsider" cat trying to establish a scent presence?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

Like you, I have three cats, I have to say, I am always unsure about making a decision to remove litter trays from indoors because of how this would contribute to a general dislike people have of cats because they foul in peoples gardens etc... ours actually come inside to go, happy neighbours, happy me! (constant scooping :))

Is it possible that as your cats are getting older the 'need to go' is more immediate and they are not making it to the outside in time?

I'd suggest scrubbing the place down with an appropriate cleaner and placing litter trays where they are currently going, these don't have to be a permanent fixture and as they use them you can gradually move them (inch by inch) outside and eventually get rid again but I do think you need an alternative for them at the moment until they develop new habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

That's not helpful advice. Obviously the OP wants the cats to be able to live inside .

Advertisement