Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campaign for a 10 Pin Bowling Alley in Sligo?

• 10-06-2016 12:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭

Had a great time 10 pin Bowling today up in Macks amusement in Bundoran. I've decided why dont we have one in Sligo? - why do we have to travel afar to have a game? I can just see one opening up in Sligo and doing pretty well , and do you know where I think one should be placed? - Down Strandhill just by the beach and near the amusements, unless someone else can come up with a better location.

But terrific family fun for a bit of a laugh or even for some more seasoned pro's - something to do/go to if your down by the beach and it starts raining apart from going into the amusements as well. - if done properly could include food such as popcorn or burgers etc

What do others think? - a good pull? - a good addition to the area?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Yeah be ideal if they sold alcohol and kept kids out. They could have lap dancers as well. Sligo could become the ultimate stag night of the west. Great idea op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You must not be from sligo Andy as I'm pretty sure there used to be one and it closed down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Slideways

Yeah there was one on deep water quay eons ago.

Couldn't keep the scumbags out and it shut up shop after a short while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

yeah i remeber that sort of , in the 90's it shut down didnt it. - down where the bath and tiles place and tyre and exhaust place is/was -

Mind you dont mean to say wouldnt work again these days if one were to open up, just because that other one shut down .

So many recreation things could open up in Sligo if people were arsed so people wouldnt have to go out of the area - how about a go karting track as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

There was nothing wrong with the one in Sligo. Had ample parking but yet was in town. Good facilities. Good setup. Just didn't do as well as you'd think it would.

• Advertisement

There was nothing wrong with the one in Sligo. Had ample parking but yet was in town. Good facilities. Good setup. Just didn't do as well as you'd think it would.

Never went inside that one, think it shut down just after we moved over and we didnt have any kids at that time either. - what was it like did it have amusements in there and other stuff or was it just a bowling alley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

yeah i remeber that sort of , in the 90's it shut down didnt it. - down where the bath and tiles place and tyre and exhaust place is/was -

Mind you dont mean to say wouldnt work again these days if one were to open up, just because that other one shut down .

So many recreation things could open up in Sligo if people were arsed so people wouldnt have to go out of the area - how about a go karting track as well?

Funny you mention the karting as I was going to mention that in my post last night.
    There was one years back but by all accounts, an accident and a large claim finished that off.
    Still you have sligo kart in skreen . That close for years but it open again and pretty good to be honest.
    That is the nearest karting place to me and I'm 70 miles from it so you not too badly fixed for karting.

mickdw wrote: »
    Funny you mention the karting as I was going to mention that in my post last night.
    There was one years back but by all accounts, an accident and a large claim finished that off.
    Still you have sligo kart in skreen . That close for years but it open again and pretty good to be honest.
    That is the nearest karting place to me and I'm 70 miles from it so you not too badly fixed for karting.

cool, i had a birthday yesterday and went to Bundoran bowling , but id love to try karting one day if its not too expensive - ah well thats on my list for me next birthday lol :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

cool, i had a birthday yesterday and went to Bundoran bowling , but id love to try karting one day if its not too expensive - ah well thats on my list for me next birthday lol :)

Its Closed.
    https://www.facebook.com/sligokarting/

aw Sh!tesville! - typical :rolleyes: ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Digiby

I think another location that could work for one would be up at Carraroe retail park.
    You'd probably have to have some sort of other activities to go with it though as some of those units are quite big. Laser tag or something along the lines of Funny Bones for younger kids.

Parents could dump off the kids there for a few hours and pop into Curry's, Homebase or down to Costa for a cuppa. Bring the kids into McDonalds afterwards for a healthy salad. Plenty of free car parking spaces up there too.
    But then such a unit probably wouldn't be allowed planning permission up there. I don't know if Sligo has the draw for these kind of things either anymore though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Slideways wrote: »
    Yeah there was one on deep water quay eons ago.

Couldn't keep the scumbags out and it shut up shop after a short while

Was in it a lot and never saw any scumbags :)

They also had a pub and a tag laser setup at a later stage.

Digiby wrote: »
    I think another location that could work for one would be up at Carraroe retail park.
    You'd probably have to have some sort of other activities to go with it though as some of those units are quite big. Laser tag or something along the lines of Funny Bones for younger kids.

Parents could dump off the kids there for a few hours and pop into Curry's, Homebase or down to Costa for a cuppa. Bring the kids into McDonalds afterwards for a healthy salad. Plenty of free car parking spaces up there too.
    But then such a unit probably wouldn't be allowed planning permission up there. I don't know if Sligo has the draw for these kind of things either anymore though.

yeah what a fantastic location as well, especially with the units already in situ up there and the fast food joints around nearby. Yeah I could see one there - but as you say blooming planning issues could scupper it. be hard to think why a recreational place like this couldnt be successful .. apart from if it was grossly overpriced or run terribly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I always thought a cinema and a bowling alley would do great up there. Looked into it. The rent would make your eyes water. Not in a million years would it work. You wouldn't have the footfall in this area to generate enough income to cover the overheads. Madness altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I always thought a cinema and a bowling alley would do great up there. Looked into it. The rent would make your eyes water. Not in a million years would it work. You wouldn't have the footfall in this area to generate enough income to cover the overheads. Madness altogether.

Yes.

I hope people don't mind me repeating ad nauseam, but high commercial rents are the reason businesses can't get off the ground.

We have seen this over and over again.

The blame must be directed at landlords, not at the council, or the lack of customers.

Some rents need to fall 90%.

Yeah - I heard mad rents up there, someone did tell me (mind u it was when the celtic tiger was roaring) how much the rent on them units were and i remember being shocked. I dunno if there has been a big reduction since then and especially the amount of time some units have been empty for so long up there. When I am shopping in some of the units up there and there are only a couple more customers just browsing and not buying anything I keep thinking, blimey how can they afford to run this place!

Advertisement