Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Where do I go from here?

• 10-06-2016 12:42am

As some of you may know I have an 07 gsxr 600. Appreciate your advice on the below.

I dropped it into a shop recently, not well known , a small shop in Dublin city centre, all I wanted was a valve clearance adjustment done. Simple job just wasn't arsed doing it myself.

*My dates might be off by a couple of days*

I dropped it in on the 3rd May I think, they had the bike for basically the guts of a month got it back on the 25th I think, waiting for parts apparently.

Rode it home bike starts sounding absolutely ****ed ( I think loose cam chain or tappets hitting pistons) and leaking a small bit of oil out the side. I rang and said i was bringing it back in and they said grand.

I should mention I had been asked for the service manual for the bike in the month they had it, luckily I had it but I provided it to them after the valves had been adjusted which was when they asked me for it.

They said they just needed it for the timing but I dont understand how you can adjust valves without the clearance tolerances from the manual and also the timing marks are pretty clear you should not need a manual.

Next day I rode it around the block going very slow, under 3k revs and at the traffic lights the bike starts making ridiculous noise again and as im at traffic lights starts streaming smoke out the engine, im literally engulfed.

Told him to pick it up and they did on Sat 28th.

Today the 10th im still waiting for the bike.They say they have ordered another cam cover gasket (i dont believe they ever replaced it in the first place, even though they charged me for it. How can it just fail and be unusable again even with sealant) he says he wont even look at the bike until the gasket comes in.

Ive already contacted a solicitor but I am unsure what to do next. how long should I give this before I just go and pick up the bike and bring it elsewhere and get the solicitor involved?

is 2 months without a bike acceptable for a simple job..

Ive been treated like a clown. Constantly told ill be called and given an update but its me that has to ring every 3 days asking for an update only to be given a bull**** response and at one stage hung up on.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Cut the losses with these clowns, get the bike repaired by a proper garage for the repair work done get an invoice, get the solicitor and go into the small claims court about it, think that would be the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

TallGlass wrote: »
    Cut the losses with these clowns, get the bike repaired by a proper garage for the repair work done get an invoice, get the solicitor and go into the small claims court about it, think that would be the way to go.

To save yourself a few bob OP, you shouldn't need a solicitor initially. You can make the application to the court yourself. Once (if) they dispute the claim, you can consider a solicitor then, though the court generally does try and settle things with a minimum of red tape and cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

That's really sh*t. Given how much the valve check costs, as well to be f*cked about for that long too. 2 months is far too long for you to be without your bike imo. Since you've already contacted a solicitor that's where your best advice will come from.

If it was me however. I would want to take the bike to another shop to be repaired properly. I wouldn't want them spending any more time near my bike. I'd then let the solicitor do his job getting my costs back for their initial shoddy work, the proper repair and the solicitor's fees. (This would be dependant on how confident the solicitor was that we would win the case).

I just hope there hasn't been major damage caused to your engine already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Also, if you do go to court and get a successful outcome. Post there name here and shame them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Which garage did you use?.

And no, two months to do a simple job like that is completely retarded.

• Advertisement

Which garage did you use?.

And no, two months to do a simple job like that is completely retarded.

The motorbike doctor off Pearse street. Whatever you do stay the aboslute **** away from them, pair of lying clowns.

Not even capable of doing a valve clearance adjustment without making absolute **** of a bike.

Posted on biker.ie and some lad said they had his bike for 3.5 weeks to replace a choke cable and he ended up pulling the bike, Im pulling my bike if its not done by this Friday.

First and last time I ever let anyone near my bike thats not me. My laziness to do the valve clearance has meant me being without the bike for nearly 2 months. I wouldnt mind but I could have done it myself, now looks like I will have to rebuild the top end of the engine.

Advertisement