Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock n' Roll Half Marathon - Dublin - August 7th, 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

mel.b wrote: »
    If the wind in Dublin is anything like it is here in the West today it's going to be tough day for everyone running.
    The race is well over. and yep, the wind was tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

Number pickup: on Saturday was ok, except someone else had obviously been given my number (based on the fact it was tracked on the course today) but got a new one with no hassle. It was advertised that there wasn't going to be an expo this year...didn't miss it.

Race today: started a wee bit late, corrals were started pretty well I thought. Wind wasn't too bad until into the park. From what I could see, well marshaled, didn't see too much hassle at any water stations - but the Powerade bottles in the middle of the road, who drops them there...! Anyhow it was a PB for me so I'm happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Yeah there was a lot of stuff in the middle of the road throughout. How hard is it to take care to put it to side of road? I felt the Powerade bottles at Ballyfermot were a serious waste of nothing else!! Definitely should have saved a lot and put the drink in cups.

The wind got very strong just turning left at Amerian Ambassadors house in the park but it was fine I thought. Really loved the finish. I'm used to the runs ending before the main Chesterfield Ave but kept my final sprint going and sailed along to great cheering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Windy and sunny today, a terrible mix, race was really good today. I was in corral 3 and there was some confusion as there was supposed to be a gap between wave 2 and 3 but people just ran through so both corrals went at the same time.
    Anyway, I enjoyed it more than last year (last year being my first ever half) and got a new PB of 1.46.53

Enjoyed watching The Strypes with some non alcoholic beer and then the cooling down fun run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

KJ wrote: »
    Windy and sunny today, a terrible mix, race was really good today. I was in corral 3 and there was some confusion as there was supposed to be a gap between wave 2 and 3 but people just ran through so both corrals went at the same time.
    Anyway, I enjoyed it more than last year (last year being my first ever half) and got a new PB of 1.46.53

Enjoyed watching The Strypes with some non alcoholic beer and then the cooling down fun run.

the same happened with corrals 4 and 5, I was in 5 and when 4 ran out so did most of 5 including me at first , then the MC called corral 5 up who were already a good bit down the quays, I came back with a few others, to be told to run on and half the MC slag me off over the PA !
    Other than that I really enjoyed the morning and run out felt like a fake only doing the 10k but guess that's for next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Payton

Well done to everyone who ran yesterday, old and young in all races. A wonderful mix of people. I really enjoyed the run (my 2nd half marathon) we were all a bit late starting but when your dealing with such a big crowd it's only to be expected. A fantastic mix of people from all over the world we talked to before during and after the run. The support from the Marshall's was brilliant so kudos to you guys and girls. The bands were super. I ran with 4 work mates 2 who ran the 10k and us 3 for the half who were first timers and we have already signed up for next year...they couldn't get over how well organized it was. Roll on next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Simian!

I overtook the 1:45 pacers at the end and got a finish time of 1:46! I measured the course at 21.3km.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I really enjoyed it. Found the course easy enough until we turned back into the park. Found the drag up Chesterfield Avenue tough for some reason and lost a few mins on it. Then the hills at the end were very tough for me but I still enjoyed the whole experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

A lot of people seemed quite divided on the race. I got a free entry to this so I can't complain too much but some observations…
    • While I hated the 8.30am start initially, it is great to have most of the day free afterwards. Could it not be on a Saturday though?
    • 2nd half of the course is bad, I lost minutes on Chesterfield Avenue between the incline and wind. Then the hills at military road etc. ugh, killed me. I know they want to end in the park but could they loop up somewhere else to end where the 10k does? Or somehow enter the park at Chapelizod and only have one major hill in the last half?
    • Water in cups at first few stations – I couldn’t really get a mouthful, you need to walk to take it. Then the bottles at the last stations were full sized Ballygowan, most people ended up throwing most of it away (same with Powerade) which caused a hazard in the road.
    • As with 99% of races, people up front (and I mean nearly at the start line) jogging slowly from the start and nearly tripping people up due to their slower pace or the fact they can hear nothing due to headphones (or both). I’m all for listening to music, but there’s a responsibility to be aware of those around you.

On a more positive note…
    • There was a good atmosphere to the race in the build-up and during it.
    • At the finish line there really was something to hang around for and soak up the atmosphere. With a lot of the other park races there’s a sense of finish, grab your bag and head home.
    • Organisation – everything from the bag drop transfer to the info on the site was clear and worked 100%.

Overall – if they got a flatter course and moved it to a Saturday morning, I’d pay the fee for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Simian! wrote: »
    I overtook the 1:45 pacers at the end and got a finish time of 1:46! I measured the course at 21.3km.

Had a similar experience with the 1:45 pacers and also chatted to a few runners afterwards who talked the same.
    I started in corral 4 just ahead of them and the guy with the flag passed me like a bat out of hell once we got to the top of climb at Christchurch. He looked to way ahead of pace so I let him go and then down on the quays he motored on to easily 40/60 seconds ahead of me by Heuston. I would have expected even pacing despite the nature of the course but I was running my own race, passed him and the female pacer (carrying the flag) in the last few hundred meters. Maybe they dropped back to try gather up more people and had driven on a main group ahead of me but found it odd and glad I wasn't relying on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Simian! wrote: »

Same as. My Nike Plus running app hit 15k at the exact 15k marker on the course but it showed 21.3 when I hit the line. Then again it's the National Championships so can't really cast doubt on the course length from a running app.

Really enjoyed yesterday, it was my first half marathon. I found it a lot tougher than the training I had done, I think the combination of the hills and the wind once we got into the park killed me. I was running empty by the time I hit 18k and struggled badly for the last 3k but thankfully still made my target time.

For those of you that are experienced would this be considered a tough course? Would you consider the Dublin Race Series Half Marathon to be an easier course? Considering signing up and trying to beat yesterday's time!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

Did this yesterday and I have to say I really loved it. It was my 4th half marathon and despite the struggle with the hills and the wind for the last part I managed to get a PB, over 5 minutes faster than my best half marathon.

I thought that the organisation was great for such a big crowd and despite a slight delay at the start everything ran really smoothly. THere was great support from all the volunteers along the route. The water stations at the end were a bit hazardous with all the discarded bottles and quite wasteful but it was easier to get a decent drink out of the bottles than the cups.

Already thinking about next years and may even head over to Liverpool for that one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

For those of you that are experienced would this be considered a tough course? Would you consider the Dublin Race Series Half Marathon to be an easier course? Considering signing up and trying to beat yesterday's time!

It's a reasonably hard course with a fair few hills in the second half, and the wind yesterday would have made it harder.
    The race series half is about the same in terms of elevation, but you wouldn't be running into the wind for so long.

Thought the race was well-organised in general. The more I think about it the more I have a problem with the vast amount of waste that was left from those water/Powerade bottles. There were HUNDREDS of bottles dumped on the ground with a couple of sips taken from them. I know the majority of us are incredibly wasteful in general but it is shocking to see that amount of unnecessary waste. So I can sleep tonight I'll just assume they were all emptied into a drain and the bottles recycled.

I actually liked the challenge of the hills towards the end of the race - if you're progressing from this distance that sort of training is invaluable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Simian! wrote:

Your finish time of 1.46 was that chip or gun time?

It was my chip time. I was using the MapMyRun app to track it - I've found it to be accurate in general and it also seemed calibrated very closely to the km and mile markers throughout the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Simian! wrote:
    It was my chip time. I was using the MapMyRun app to track it - I've found it to be accurate in general and it also seemed calibrated very closely to the km and mile markers throughout the course.

Thanks for the reply. Found it unusual the pacers were over, but they are human and can have a bad day. You still need to run your own race. Good time btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

diego_b wrote: »
    Had a similar experience with the 1:45 pacers and also chatted to a few runners afterwards who talked the same.
    I started in corral 4 just ahead of them and the guy with the flag passed me like a bat out of hell once we got to the top of climb at Christchurch. He looked to way ahead of pace so I let him go and then down on the quays he motored on to easily 40/60 seconds ahead of me by Heuston. I would have expected even pacing despite the nature of the course but I was running my own race, passed him and the female pacer (carrying the flag) in the last few hundred meters. Maybe they dropped back to try gather up more people and had driven on a main group ahead of me but found it odd and glad I wasn't relying on them.

I got a call from a ungwan givin out to me about them,she was under the impression i knew them... first few miles were ..8:04, 7:42,7:24 7:30 until she copped the didnt know wat dey were doin.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Fwiw the 1:30 pacers were very good. They banked a few seconds per k on the easy sections but told us that's what they were doing. They shouted the splits as we went along. They crossed the line about 10 seconds early, sadly I was no longer with them.

The 8:30 start is inconvenient for anyone outside Dublin. Hotels are expensive and doing it as a day trip means setting off early. I left my in laws in Carlow at 6am, friends left Ballinrobe at 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

snailsong wrote: »

The 8:30 start is inconvenient for anyone outside Dublin. ...

Well said. And not just for those outside of Dublin... if you live in Dubln county you are banjaxed too on a Sunday if you don't drive or can arrange a lift... How are you supposed to get to the location on public transport at that hour? Sure, you can run there...

When are organisers of these events going to cop on about public transport in Dublin on a Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Patchy course, but well organized. I personally feel it is overmerched to heck with a medal for everyone in the audience for every occasion if you have the readies! Still, they gotta make a buck. Awesome to see so many runners from Liverpool out there...!

BUT, why oh why does the 10k and HM have to end in the god-awful bleakness of the Phoenix Park? The place is of zero interest, miles from anywhere you can do some serious retail therapy or relax with an alcoholic beer... selfies with trees don't cut it.

Race organisers in Dublin - come on, end this nonsense about the Phoenix Park... even the Pope wouldn't go a return gig there and I have yet to see Michael D Higgins jogging out of the Aras every morning... it's the most overrated running spot in Ireland. Past its sell-by date. It's the Angelus of venues.

Start and finish in Grand Canal Dock or the 3 Arena area...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Payton

For some people it's an inconvenience but it's part of the run, everybody is not going to be accommodated with the time and logistics of getting there.
    I'd say the 8:30 start is to get as many people through the streets of the city and into the park before 10:30 and they open the main roads to the traffic again, Luas and bus services are restricted whilst the run is on. It takes a lot of planning to put something like this in place and yes some people are not going to be too happy with the start but if I'm doing a half marathon in Belfast or cork at 8:30 I have to travel...is that fair?
    Honestly it's for 1 morning a year and it's a fun day let's enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Its in the park as its cheaper and easier for the organisers than the alternative of closing many city centre roads for longer periods, particularly at the finish area.

Just seen the results from the 5k.

Was this a fun run? The standard in the results indicates the vast majority who enter these corporate rnr races are bucket listers or tourists who were on the beer for the week.

Median times north of 30 mins.
    Less than a quarter under 25 mins.

Organizers onto a good thing if this many people are still lapping this rip off pricing up.

Between this the GIR and the half iron man next week the yanks and Brits have us well sussed.

I do think you have a point, if we compare the results of the R & R 10k to the DLR bay 10k

-39% of the runners in the R & R managed to do it in less than an hour, compared to 74% in the Bay 10k

-the winning time in the R & R of 35.36 would have managed a 13th place in the Bay 10k
    ( I did both runs, and found the R&R an easier course)

having said that, I enjoyed the run, the early morning start suits me, and i would probably do it again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Payton wrote: »
    For some people it's an inconvenience but it's part of the run, everybody is not going to be accommodated with the time and logistics of getting there.
    I'd say the 8:30 start is to get as many people through the streets of the city and into the park before 10:30 and they open the main roads to the traffic again, Luas and bus services are restricted whilst the run is on. It takes a lot of planning to put something like this in place and yes some people are not going to be too happy with the start but if I'm doing a half marathon in Belfast or cork at 8:30 I have to travel...is that fair?
    Honestly it's for 1 morning a year and it's a fun day let's enjoy it.

R&R are a commercial event and can hold it at 3am if they like but for this race to incorporate the National Championships is a joke and a disgrace. The AAI could easily find a more suitable race partner with several more appropriate alternatives available. For some reason unrelated to the well being of athletes or athletics they will persist with this pile of ****e.

there were ~1000 entered in the championship race, and AAI get a pile of money for the connection.
    There are flatter, faster races around, but would they get the numbers, and would they offer the money? (think it was cheaper to enter than Charleville too?)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

ultrapercy wrote: »
    R&R are a commercial event and can hold it at 3am if they like but for this race to incorporate the National Championships is a joke and a disgrace. The AAI could easily find a more suitable race partner with several more appropriate alternatives available. For some reason unrelated to the well being of athletes or athletics they will persist with this pile of ****e.
    Agreed. I had my projected time as 1:21 on my entry and was told I had to go in corral 10 even though all my clubmates with similar times were in corral 1. Was told my chip wouldn't register and I wouldn't get a time. Told them I was willing to take that risk as there was national team medals up for grabs and we missed out on bronze by 30 seconds last year. Why was I put in corral 10 in first place. AAI needs to take ownership of the national half back in my opinion.

RayCun wrote: »
    there were ~1000 entered in the championship race, and AAI get a pile of money for the connection.
    There are flatter, faster races around, but would they get the numbers, and would they offer the money? (think it was cheaper to enter than Charleville too?)

No they wouldn't offer the money but would likely offer
    1. A proper course, point to point course is ridiculous in a city like Dublin.
    2 more accessibility for people needing to travel on the day.
    3 cheaper accommodation options for those who choose to travel day before.
    4 variety of venue, 3 road champs and road relays now in Dublin. The half and 10k are terrible soulless events, the other 2 are fantastic.
    5 deeper fields a lot of club runners seem to have abandoned this race.
    6 a more suitable start time, 8.30 is too early for most people.
    I know money talks but the AAI main concern should be the welfare of its members. When national half was hosted by clubs(up to 2011) it was a great event.

conavitzky wrote: »
    Agreed. I had my projected time as 1:21 on my entry and was told I had to go in corral 10 even though all my clubmates with similar times were in corral 1. Was told my chip wouldn't register and I wouldn't get a time. Told them I was willing to take that risk as there was national team medals up for grabs and we missed out on bronze by 30 seconds last year. Why was I put in corral 10 in first place. AAI needs to take ownership of the national half back in my opinion.

Yes this was another issue I heard of. My club entered us all and we were spread over a number of corrals despite having times suggesting a top 2%finish by most. I believe Gary Thornton was in coral 10. We didn't realise this untill Saturday and they would not change it. Don't know if it made a difference in the end but it was another unnessary hassle in an event that is nothing but trouble.

• Advertisement

ultrapercy wrote: »
    No they wouldn't offer the money but would likely offer
    1. A proper course, point to point course is ridiculous in a city like Dublin.
    2 more accessibility for people needing to travel on the day.
    3 cheaper accommodation options for those who choose to travel day before.
    4 variety of venue, 3 road champs and road relays now in Dublin. The half and 10k are terrible soulless events, the other 2 are fantastic.
    5 deeper fields a lot of club runners seem to have abandoned this race.
    6 a more suitable start time, 8.30 is too early for most people.
    I know money talks but the AAI main concern should be the welfare of its members. When national half was hosted by clubs(up to 2011) it was a great event.

I had a look back at the results, in 2009, 2010, there were under 200 people running the national half. Sunday there was about 1000 in the championship, and 6000 more in the race.

Clearly, a lot of people are happier to travel to Dublin and start at 8.30 than to go to Athenry or Ballybofey.

On the other hand, the standard is lower in this race. Maybe the better runners are avoiding it.

I'm having a hard time understanding "the welfare of its members". It's more popular than previous races, and it is not unsafe. AAI makes money from this that goes back to the development of the sport, when the race used to be a burden on the host club.

You could designate Charleville as the championship race. There would be faster times, I'm sure. And the numbers of club members running would be way down - harder for a lot of people to get to, also an early start, fewer accommodation options, and more expensive to enter - if the race could even hold that many entrants?

Advertisement