Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crumlin --- good/ok or bad?

Options
  • 10-06-2016 5:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

After being put off by the peaceful and neighbours-dont-mind-their-own-business suburbs of Dublin, my eye fell on Crumlin where we viewed a nice house in Windmill Road. I think Crumlin provides the mix of town and distance to the center.

From various people and another forum I heard that Crumlin is a rough spot. This is something I cannot see for this street, even though we saw some rough looking places some 5-10 minutes walk.

What are your thoughts about this part of town (in terms of anti-social behaviour/crime)? What do you advice?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

No sweeping generalisations about areas please

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I have a large amount of family living all over the area and I wouldn't live there if you gave me a free house!
    Read into that whatever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 casheltipp

Living in Drimnagh, nearby for the last 3 years and no issues, great spot to live and only a 25 minutes cycle to work on Baggot street

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

I also went to look in Windmill road recently too, as we pulled out of the road, Garda check point.

They were checking occupants of cars going down a certain road, had undercover guards beside them, with bulletproof vests on.

Myself and my SO have been looking in this area for quite some time, and the following is advice we have received:

There are some troubled streets, but as people say, if you keep to yourself, you will be fine. The issue isn't always who your neighbours are, it's who they can attract to bring trouble into the area. The street you're looking at might be gorgeous, and just around the corner can be very rough, it pays to do a proper drive around the close streets if you're serious.

I've learned the parts to avoid, and the parts to view. Some lovely, full of character houses around there. Really smart what people have done with space.

Tight knit community, so really it depends on your long-term plan, I'm sure the troubled parts will change over the next few years, they generally tend to!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 All Americans Sound Camp

Conor Mcgregor hails from there so it must be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

Are you a member of a gang?
    Have you ever been a member of a gang?
    is it your intention to ever become a member of a gang?

If not, then you probably wont get caught up in rival gang fueds.

Crumlin has been very quiet over the last 5 years, the same as drimnagh and most areas.
    While there are some less nice neighbours to have, it is affordable, with excellent transport links to the city and has some good facilities. Its not foxrock, its no carpenterstown, it doesnt have delightful old cobbled streets. its council houses and families mixed with ex council homes sold off for reams of dosh.

pros of living in crumlin. Increased garda presense means you have never felt more secure.
    Garda check points mean that the area is kept reasonably safe.
    "I wouldnt go down that dark laneway late at night" who the hell is going down dark dodgy laneways at night anyway?????

and for what its worth, if you are looking at 89 windmill, the price is overestimated, it should be 220,000, hold out for that. no. 30 looks like a kip, i wouldnt pay more than 190k for it and 133 windmill seems like the best value, you could get for 175k put 30k in and have a house worth 240-250k if done well (also further away from the bold people you dont fancy living next too)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Are you a member of a gang?
    Have you ever been a member of a gang?
    is it your intention to ever become a member of a gang?

If not, then you probably wont get caught up in rival gang fueds.

Crumlin has been very quiet over the last 5 years, the same as drimnagh and most areas.
    While there are some less nice neighbours to have, it is affordable, with excellent transport links to the city and has some good facilities. Its not foxrock, its no carpenterstown, it doesnt have delightful old cobbled streets. its council houses and families mixed with ex council homes sold off for reams of dosh.

pros of living in crumlin. Increased garda presense means you have never felt more secure.
    Garda check points mean that the area is kept reasonably safe.
    "I wouldnt go down that dark laneway late at night" who the hell is going down dark dodgy laneways at night anyway?????

and for what its worth, if you are looking at 89 windmill, the price is overestimated, it should be 220,000, hold out for that. no. 30 looks like a kip, i wouldnt pay more than 190k for it and 133 windmill seems like the best value, you could get for 175k put 30k in and have a house worth 240-250k if done well (also further away from the bold people you dont fancy living next too)

slightly OT- If that's 133 Windmill Park you mean the I think it's already sale agreed, it was up at €190k. The pics were old pictures and the place was completely different and in worse condition. You hit the nail on the head about all the other stuff.

Anyway as a general thing to the OP, it really depends on the people around you. Windmill is not too far from the village etc and it's so quick to the city centre. House prices seem to be rising there too. Also Garda checkpoints happen everywhere so I wouldn't read too much into that either.

as a general rule of thumb, 2 beds seem to be going in the region of 190-225 depending on condition of the place right now. 3 beds are going slightly higher at 240-260. I dont think many houses in crumlin/Drimnagh will go over the 300k mark. at their very worst in the recession, they were selling for as low as 70k. prices on average in 2011 were 90-110. 2012 would have been 125 to 150k. 2013 150-170 2014 170-190. 2015 190k-240k. 2016 has levelled out at this price. there doesnt seem to be much of a rise in the previous 6 months so if you are thinkking i better snap up quick before the price rises, i wouldnt be too worried about it. the supply seems to have increased in the last 6 months also, which would point to a drop in the number of cash buyers coupled with the lower end of the market coming up to eet the rest of the housing market. the bargains that were in crumlin and drimnagh seem to have evaporated but there are a few little gems for sale at the moment in a few spots. if your getting a house for 200k with 2 bedrooms and is in a half decent condition, you are looking at a 900-1000 euro mortgage repayment over 35 years. You can rent a 2 bed house in crumlin for 1,100 no problem. how many places in dublin would you get a 2 bed place for 100pm to rent? Its a decent investment. even if there is a recession again and the house drops back to 2010 prices, the fall on somewhere in crumlin is going to be alot less of a burden than a 460,000 2 bed semi the far side of the ashleaf shopping centre. same road but you add 100,000 quid to your house.

whats your intended budget btw? what requirements are you looking for?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's the cheapest on the Monopoly board. :cool:

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's the cheapest on the Monopoly board. :cool:

Considering finglas, ballyfermot, bluebell, rialto, tallaght, inchicore, fatima, harolds cross, philbsborough and cabra didnt even make it onto the monopoly board, i guess that Crumlin should be honoured to have made it at all.

Ironically, the irish monopoly game is compiled by a family from west cork who have never actually been to Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Is that the sort of place you want to bring up your children?
    I'd rather rent for the rest of my natural than buy in Crumlin.

SarahS2013 wrote: »
    Is that the sort of place you want to bring up your children?
    I'd rather rent for the rest of my natural than buy in Crumlin.

Well if your kids turn out to be goblins, then thats your own fault. St. Michaels college is but a mile from Crumlin, as with Terenure and that poncy school at the end of rathmines where they where cream trousers. Crumlin and its surrounding areas are fantastic starter homes and its the bigoted and ill informed opinions of people who are quick to make judgements who invariably give the place a bad name. Enjoy your negative equity sarah.

Good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Mod: no sweeping generalisations and no attacking the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Smiley012 wrote: »
    I've learned the parts to avoid, and the parts to view.

Do tell!

Advertisement