Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passing by compensation

Options
  • 10-06-2016 9:29am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

can you even pass by compensation anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

No, unless you are in the 4th year of your undergraduate (due to doing a year abroad as I'm not sure about 4 year degrees in UCD anymore) as it's been phased out from 2013 onward and will be gone completely from next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

I'm there since 2011, took a year out. If I am correct though it was done on a module level basis rather than year. Level 3 was done away with just this year, just my damn luck. Annoyingly I have 180 credits, but failed a core(which was previously allowed for compensation)

Sorry I just want to be sure so I can give up hope. Anyone able to confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Ring the academic advisors or the student desk for a definite answer:)

I've given up hope, just my luck, they got rid of level 3's just this year. So unfortunate.

• Advertisement

Guys is there any system in place to help out in situations like this? One module(a core) stopping me from graduating, I have the required credits. Any chance UCD don't notice this and I get my degree? On my transcript it says 'stage complete'

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kronnn

Mec27 wrote: »
    Guys is there any system in place to help out in situations like this? One module(a core) stopping me from graduating, I have the required credits. Any chance UCD don't notice this and I get my degree? On my transcript it says 'stage complete'

Contact your program office and they'll be able to advise you on the best path forward. Depending on the module there might be ways to do extra work to make up the grade but it would vary from program to program and may not even be offered any more. Barring that under some circumstances (a lot of people failing the core module and being prevented from graduating for example) they may be persuaded to have another sitting of the exam during the summer as a repeat exam (so you would have to pay). Other than those options its likely to be a resit during the Christmas exams or a repeat/resit during next years exams.

Without knowing what course / module you were taking that's all I can say, but definitely contact your program office. They'll be more than experienced in handling situations like yours.

Thanks for that. Agonizing tbh. Would I have to pay full fees to just do the damn exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kronnn

Mec27 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Agonizing tbh. Would I have to pay full fees to just do the damn exam?

From their site:
    All registered students repeating or re-sitting modules pay €230 per module

If you are only taking resits and not registered to any other modules you must also pay the Student Centre Levy €247 in full in order to register. The Student Contribution does not apply.

If its a resit organised at a different time to allow a group of people to graduate (no idea how common this is, but I know extra exam sessions can be organised outside of exam times in extreme circumstances, at the discretion of the module coordinator/program board) you would probably just have to pay the 230 as you wouldn't need to be registered as a student for another semester.

Man thank you for the information, appreciate it. Just wondering I know a few of us failed and thus are prevented from graduating, do you think we would benefit from co-ordinating ourselves and even asking for a summer exam?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You'll probably have to repeat next semester. I'd imagine any exams held outside of the usual sessions are for students with extenuating circumstances. If you failed the module fair and square they aren't going to be bending over backwards for you.

How is your transcript saying "stage complete"? Did you do an extra module?

Think so yeah, annoying. Its because it hasn't taken into account I failed a core module. How much will it be? Like 600 quid?

Advertisement