Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's it worth? GPU Edition

Options
  • 10-06-2016 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

So I thought I do a bit of a comparison of performance per € and try and quantify what GPUs are worth now. The TL;DR version is, of course, whatever someone is willing to pay. However I also feel it needs pointing out to some that there is no point trying to base the sale price on what was paid for the card originally given such a shift in performance. I'll group the cards and try and give a little explanation.

I'd be obliged for any thoughts, corrections or comments.

Assumptions:

GTX1080 > All and available delivered for under €700 in some cases. Current prices are attracting a premium due to limited supply.

GTX 1070 > 980ti and the magic price point here seems to be €450 with the card expected to drop to €399 once the dust settles.

Rx 480 => 980. $199 price point is €180 Ex VAT €220 Inc

Around €100

Anything that isn't in another category with the obvious exceptions of the high end stuff that is is such small quantities it's not easy to nail down, such as the Titan X, Fury, 7990 etc.

Was is in here is the GTX960 and R9 280 etc. Obviously this is a big grouping and really will come down to a lot of other factors like convenience and quality of the package offered.

Sub €150

R9 290 Reference
    R9 290X Reference

These cards are going to offer performance under the RX480, have only 4GB of GDDR5 and have a very poor cooler. For that reason they need to be attractive

Sub €200

GTX 970 - Controversial BUT the Rx480 performance is becoming clearer and the sheer number of these in the market will create competition to sell. Expect to pay more for well packaged cards or proven good overclockers.

R9 290/X AiB boards - slightly better performance than the 970 and less of them floating about.

Sub €300

GTX980 - Supposedly beaten out or equaled by the Rx 480. The difference is these are here now and in relatively low quantity. A couple of these have sat on adverts at €320 recently and not sold at time of writing.

R9 390/X - Due to a higher memory bandwidth these might attract slightly more. They also have 8GB GDDR5 so potentially a bargain for people wanting higher resolution but not to worried about frame rates.

AMD cards in general are expected to get a bit of a performance bump in DX12.

Sub €475 (Changed to €475 which is roughly what a decent AiB 1070 looks to be)

GTX980ti - or whatever price the 1070 launches at. While I see some people on adverts claiming the convenience of now, that ceases to work when the premium you're charging is enough to fly to Germany, buy a 1070 retail, check into a brothel for a couple of hours and fly back. Given the ability for the 980ti and 1070 to overclock and the driver support from nVidia it makes no sense to pay more for a 980ti. In fact the only reason I see for going with one is the convenience of now coupled with the 1070 will be in short supply for a few week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Seems fair enough to me!

Sub €170
    The GTX 780Ti and GTX 780. They were often outperformed by the 979 and have less VRAM for things like VR (780Ti is capable of it) and higher resolution gaming. Plus, poor driver support and legacy status. That, and a bigger PSU would be needed due to all that Compute performance hungry-chip!
    Sub €125
    This is where the Kepler GTX 770 and AMD R9 280X and R9 285 come in. The reasons being relatively low VRAM, and aging performance/watt and feature support. Whilst not everyone will use FreeSync, I don't see why one would buy the 280X anymore when the 480 is near, (that and the 380X launched at a cheaper price).
    Kepler has been lacking solid driver support, and is now considered Legacy by nVidia (!!!) so I doubt the 770 is sounding attractive.
    Sub €100
    The 750Ti, GTX 950 and R9 370. Whilst these cards are intended for this budget, I often see people saying that the 950 is worth €150....which is going to be 50% slower than the RX 480....for only €50 less.
    The 750Ti and 370 are also on rocky ground, considering Polaris 11 is in the wings, and will deliver more performance for less wattage again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'll be selling my Sapphire Trix R9 290 AFTER I get my hands on my 1070, and was going to go with €150 as the price I'd take.

I tend to prefer selling quick so I can justify a purchase in an obscure mental way.

So €150 for my GPU and €80 for my NAS means my 1070 will cost me about €200 in magical Doc land

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'll be selling my Sapphire Trix R9 290 AFTER I get my hands on my 1070, and was going to go with €150 as the price I'd take.

I tend to prefer selling quick so I can justify a purchase in an obscure mental way.

So €150 for my GPU and €80 for my NAS means my 1070 will cost me about €200 in magical Doc land

Have you seen my ads recently... I went hunting all over lol!

Also R9-290s sell at €100 as I've just found :pac: €150 is very fair for a AiB though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Akingbade

Thanks for the list. Thought I had myself a sealed gtx 970 for 195 euro but after the seller stopped replying to my emails, had to get money back from Paypal. The search continues!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I picked up a few manufacturer refurb 970's for €220 off Ebay the other day. A pretty decent deal, as the 970's are one of the few cards that at the moment, are commanding 2nd hand prices pretty close to actual retail price. Also got a refurb 290 tri-x for €140 - it you're patient and shop around, there are great bargains to be had.

• Advertisement

I picked up a few manufacturer refurb 970's for 220 off Ebay the other day. A pretty decent deal, as the 970's are one of the few cards that at the moment, are commanding 2nd hand prices pretty close to actual retail price. Also got a refurb 290 tri-x for 140 - it you're patient and shop around, there are great bargains to be had.

Yeah that's a pretty decent price for the 970s, are you planning on selling them on? Not that I'm interested still looking for sub 200.

Nah, I'll probably use two in SLI for a while and put another in a 2nd PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

When my 1080 arrives I'm putting my 970 in my son's PC and selling his 4 month old Gigabyte 960, the 4Gb version. What can I expect? Still has warranty and full retail packaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

They're about €170 €185 (4GB) new so I reckon about €150ish maybe. These thing have a floor price obviously and I reckon if it's like new (I just keep the boxes in the attic never take anything but the card out) and warranty the convenience of just picking it up plays a big part in cheaper cards.

My 2 cents anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

superg wrote: »
    When my 1080 arrives I'm putting my 970 in my son's PC and selling his 4 month old Gigabyte 960, the 4Gb version. What can I expect? Still has warranty and full retail packaging.

Assuming the 470 is as good as 380X (a conservative estimate) then not much...maybe €120, if you can sell it before the launch of the Polaris line-up.

• Advertisement

Sell it now and you will get a pretty decent price, the way adverts is, probably close to the current retail price. Sooner than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah that's my problem. I can't sell it until the 1080 comes which is while away yet.

Just got the msi gtx 970 4g secondhand for 190, pretty happy with that and it fits my systems colour scheme :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

so what do ye reckon would be a fair price for a 780ti ? a gigabyte windforce oc edition ?

this one
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-780-ti-windforce-3x-review,1.html

I can't see anyone paying more than about €160ish for one now. They're moving the 7 series to legacy so even though the 780Ti is a solid performer, it's going to be gimped going forward without driver updates. I would take what you can get at the moment and just go with it. With 970 prices the way they are now and AMD 470 and 480 expected to perform well at €150-220 range, you may even get enough to almost move sideways to a newer, better featured card with more vram.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Managed to get 200 for it last night so happy enough. Even at that most of the guys selling standard 780 not 780ti seem to be getting offers around that . I was just happy to get a quick sale

Advertisement